Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valencia - F1 - spoiler!

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 11:04 AM
clubracer6
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Valencia - F1 - spoiler!

My least favorite track of the season and yet, this was yet again the best race of the year!

The passing was incredible, some of the driving was pure brilliance.

Vettel was simply amazing and the same for Grojean – heart breaking for both to have the failures they did.

Two of my longer time favorites, truly disappointed me – Koby and Lewis, drove amazingly well, until both seemed to revert to pure immaturity. Once again Lewis demonstrating, as he does so often, that he is never thinking about the championship when he is out there. Bummed out the Maldanado got the penalty for that… McLaren’s crew – as Paula said, two steps forward, two steps back… Button,what the heck is going on??

Still not sure why Senna got in trouble for that contact – but I thought his massive slide was cool, where the tail was leading for a few moments, ended with him simply ending up where he needed to turn-in…

The podium (ESPN Classic anyone) that was phenomenal…Just amazing for us old guys! Great to see Micheal up there of course, but he’s not the same is he? So relaxed, so doesn’t have the fire and passion he once did, but he’s having a great time and I love having him out there…. Kimi on the other hand has not changed a bit – and am thankful for that. The interviews are so much more entertaining because of it.

Truly enjoyed the win by Alonso – he truly is one of greats – in his prime for sure. Emotional wins like that are always the best…

Certainly the best races are those that have you on the edge of your seat, which is where I spent most of the race… Silverstone up next – how will it get better? How can it get better?
Old 06-25-2012, 01:37 PM
johninar
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had fully intended to watch this later this week, but I got hooked early. And the yard work can wait till later.
Fun race to watch. I can only hope that November's race is this good.
Some of the events in the pits were just amazing. One stop it's world class fast, and then "what the heck happened there"?
Old 06-25-2012, 02:03 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Pastor was going to nail the "speed bump" that's put in the chicane areas, he was trying to get back on the surface before hitting it with his LF. Lewis knew he was on his side, and gave him no room. A racing incident, I dunno why Pastor got a 20 sec penalty.
Old 06-25-2012, 02:18 PM
clubracer6
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by drivinhard
Pastor was going to nail the "speed bump" that's put in the chicane areas, he was trying to get back on the surface before hitting it with his LF. Lewis knew he was on his side, and gave him no room. A racing incident, I dunno why Pastor got a 20 sec penalty.
Yeah it was poor officiating for sure... I think the stewards were having too much Sangria...
Old 06-25-2012, 08:52 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

great race, great season!
Old 06-25-2012, 09:44 PM
ukrbmw
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep - very awesome race! I keep hoping Kimi wins one - he deserves it. You're absolutely right about Hamilton - as soon as you think he's really matured and got better he goes out and does something stupid. I know it's hard to be passed, but come on - you know you're slower and you can still get a bunch of points instead of getting nothing.

And good for Michael - he's had some great runs lately. Nice to see one come together for him!
Old 06-25-2012, 09:51 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

My understanding is that there is still some controversy. Alonzo stopped on track and did not go to Parc Ferme, AND he picked up the Spanish flag. Steve Matchet pointed out post race, that these are both violations of the rules, and that there may be penalties to follow? Did I misunderstand?
Old 06-26-2012, 12:11 AM
grantar2
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Probably the best F1 season certainly the best racing in years.
Old 06-26-2012, 01:09 AM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
My understanding is that there is still some controversy. Alonzo stopped on track and did not go to Parc Ferme, AND he picked up the Spanish flag. Steve Matchet pointed out post race, that these are both violations of the rules, and that there may be penalties to follow? Did I misunderstand?
No, you understood correctly. I thought at the time that it was wrong. But it was Ferrari and Alonso so it will be overlooked.

One of the other podium finishers earlier this season (Perez? Maldonado?) did the same thing and nothing came of it.

Matchett knows about it since the rules came into effect while he was a player.

The FIA had to clamp down on all the nationalistic celebrations when the drivers were doing the flag bit and the crowds were streaming out of the stands onto the race tracks and preventing the drivers from even getting the cars back to the pits on the cool down lap. Parts were being taken off of the cars, drivers had to be rescued, etc. So they banned the flag waving bit and they tasked the race tracks with providing enough security to keep the crowds from the race track (at least until all the cars & drivers were safely in the pits.) The latest track designs that surround the circuit with high fences helped a lot in this regard.

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2011/07/0...2_mans_silv_1/

Z//
Old 06-26-2012, 06:32 AM
Glennm27
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,402 Likes on 610 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Contributor

Valencia was a great race. It has been a terrific season, best I remember in a long time.
Old 07-07-2012, 01:51 AM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by 63corvette
my understanding is that there is still some controversy. Alonzo stopped on track and did not go to parc ferme, and he picked up the spanish flag. Steve matchet pointed out post race, that these are both violations of the rules, and that there may be penalties to follow? Did i misunderstand?

FIA admits Alonso and Hamilton escaped Valencia sanctions

Jul.6 (GMM) Valencia winner Fernando Alonso, and McLaren's Lewis Hamilton, only narrowly avoided penalties at the recent European grand prix.

Germany's Auto Motor und Sport has revealed the details of a team bosses meeting that took place at Silverstone on Thursday.

They were told by FIA officials that Alonso and Hamilton technically broke the rules at Valencia, and would have been sanctioned if rival teams lodged official protests.

Hamilton reportedly overtook pole sitter Sebastian Vettel twice on the pre-race warm-up lap; a practice that is not allowed.

And Spaniard Alonso also broke the rules by accepting the Spanish flag from a marshal on the slowing-down lap, after thrilling the partisan crowd by winning.

///

Get notified of new replies

To Valencia - F1 - spoiler!

Quick Reply: Valencia - F1 - spoiler!