Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone using a Sony HDR-CX360V or equivalent on the track...need the magic settings.

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 07:11 PM
kmagvette
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Anyone using a Sony HDR-CX360V or equivalent on the track...need the magic settings.

I used the camera once with stabilization on, once with it off. Off was better but picture is very unstable; in stabilization mode the picture sucks...very wavy. I am using the internal 32 GB memory. With wind noise supression on, the audio is very nice.

I have the camera cage mounted on an I/O Port. My old JVC Mini DV had a more stable image, so I have to believe that I just have this new camera set up improperly.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:24 PM
Brent Dalton
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

The CX130 and CX160 have vibration issues and won't work for track car applications. I know first hand I bet the 360 is the same if it's a camera that came out in the last year or two. Apparently Sony changed one of the sensors in the camera in newer models and causes the vibration.
Old 06-28-2012, 02:27 AM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I have the HDR-CX160 with the hardwired remote and all the bells and whistles. It takes beautiful videos - just don't take it out on the track because it turns to crap there. The thing is absolutely worthless by the end of third gear. There are no magic settings that will make it work.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:05 AM
kmagvette
Burning Brakes

Damn...well I guess it is going back. I agree it takes awesome video outside of the car and the audio is real nice as well. Too bad it sucks on the track.

Thanks for sharing.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:54 AM
EyeMaster
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You need a camera made for extreme conditions when you want to film at the track. I only know of 2 cameras that work, one of them is a GoPro, the other I don't remember the name.

You can't really go wrong with a GoPro.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:43 AM
kmagvette
Burning Brakes

I have a GoPro, nice disposable stick it funky places camera...behind the front/rear wheels is one of my favorites. Quality fast memory helps the camera out a lot, but it still vibrates pretty bad...I also never bothered to mount it on the I/O Port...probably an experiment I should try.

I have, by today's standards, a crappy old JVC Mini/DV. With stabilization off it does a very nice job keeping the picture stable except when i hit the turtles. I find it hard to believe that I can't get a nice digital HD for $400-ish that does well on the track. Fortunately Best Browse lets you return things within 30 days if it does not work out.
Old 07-02-2012, 02:53 PM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by kmagvette
I find it hard to believe that I can't get a nice digital HD for $400-ish that does well on the track. Fortunately Best Browse lets you return things within 30 days if it does not work out.
If you do find one, with an external mic plug and a remote, don't keep it a secret. Post it here.
Old 07-02-2012, 05:44 PM
Rob Willis
Safety Car

Received 121 Likes on 63 Posts

Aiptek GVS (front)
GoPRO Hereo (rear)

http://vimeo.com/45043476

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone using a Sony HDR-CX360V or equivalent on the track...need the magic settings.

Quick Reply: Anyone using a Sony HDR-CX360V or equivalent on the track...need the magic settings.