Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some Tire Advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 07:36 PM
94boosted
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need some Tire Advice

Hi Guys,

The stock Good Year Supercars on my 2010 GS are nearly gone (at the wear bars in the middle of the front two) after only 5000 miles and two autocross events So I'm obviously not going to get another set of those crapy tires. The plan is to get something a little better and maybe a little wider followed by an alingment to make sure the new ones don't wear prematurely. So here is my question to you GS & Z06 guys & gals that do some auto-x:

I'm looking for a tire that I can get ~15,000miles (summer DD) & ~15 autocross events out of. So basically a tire that is a good compromise between sticky and long life. So far the two that peak my interest are the Michelin Pilot Super Sport's and the Nitto Invo's..... which of those is the better tire for my needs? Any other tires I should really consider? Also what about size I know I can fit 275/35/18's or 285/35/18's up front and 325/30/19's, 335/30/19's or even 345/30/19's in the rear on the stock wheels, which size should I go with?
Old 06-28-2012, 02:29 PM
SG4206
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Get a good alignment first . Look at Pfadt specs. Find a shop that will set it the way you want ; not factory.

IMO - you will never be happy with one set of tires.

You want to auto-x fast , or get 15000 miles? A 15000 mile tire is real slow.
Old 06-28-2012, 03:08 PM
94boosted
Racer

Originally Posted by SG4206
Get a good alignment first . Look at Pfadt specs. Find a shop that will set it the way you want ; not factory.

IMO - you will never be happy with one set of tires.

You want to auto-x fast , or get 15000 miles? A 15000 mile tire is real slow.
The shoulder's aren't wearing bad, so the alingment shouldn't be too bad, the reason the fronts wore I think is because I was running a bit too much pressure during the auto-x events. But I will be sure to get an alingment right away with the new tires.

I realize that tires that last 15K miles aren't going to be as fast as a Kumho Ecsta XS but I am willing to make a small sacrifice to be able to get a set that will last two seasons. Even 12,000miles would be fine.
Old 06-28-2012, 04:50 PM
speedwaywhite
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Khumo doesn't make the rear size for GS, I have a 12 GS and have been shopping for tires, selection is weak, I could only find Nitto, Bridgestone RFT, Michelin and Goodyear (F1's & G2's).
I have a set of Super Sports on order, rears are back ordered so still waiting. I will burn off the F1 Goodyears this summer running NCCC events.
I don't understand why more mfgs are not offering the GS/Z06 size. Market too small?
Old 06-28-2012, 05:25 PM
Pfadt Racing
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

When you do decide which tires to choose we would definitely recommend getting an alignment as well. Below are our alignment specs, just click the image below for a full sized copy you can print and take to your alignment shop.

It's broken down into different uses. If you're willing to give up a little overall handling capability for tire life we would recommend our Performance Street setting.

Old 06-29-2012, 11:36 AM
94boosted
Racer

Originally Posted by speedwaywhite
Khumo doesn't make the rear size for GS, I have a 12 GS and have been shopping for tires, selection is weak, I could only find Nitto, Bridgestone RFT, Michelin and Goodyear (F1's & G2's).
I have a set of Super Sports on order, rears are back ordered so still waiting. I will burn off the F1 Goodyears this summer running NCCC events.
I don't understand why more mfgs are not offering the GS/Z06 size. Market too small?
WCC sells Kumho's in a 345 rear size that fits our cars.

But your totally right there isn't much to choose from.

Originally Posted by Pfadt Racing
When you do decide which tires to choose we would definitely recommend getting an alignment as well. Below are our alignment specs, just click the image below for a full sized copy you can print and take to your alignment shop.

It's broken down into different uses. If you're willing to give up a little overall handling capability for tire life we would recommend our Performance Street setting.
Thanks for the tip I was definitely planning on getting aligned to these specs.
Old 07-04-2012, 04:15 PM
94boosted
Racer

Bump

Still can't quite figure out which tire is best or which size to get.
Old 07-04-2012, 06:59 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Try the Kumho XS. If WCC truly sells the tire in a 345 rear size that would be the way to go (Tire Rack doesn't show it). The only thing would be to verify the difference in rear tire diameters to make sure you don't get drag control issues.

Bill
Old 07-04-2012, 07:50 PM
cadguymark
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 94boosted
Hi Guys,

The stock Good Year Supercars on my 2010 GS are nearly gone (at the wear bars in the middle of the front two) after only 5000 miles and two autocross events

I'm looking for a tire that I can get ~15,000miles (summer DD) & ~15 autocross events out of.
your inflation is too high

if I get 10K and 10 events, I'll be happy. I would expect my grandmother to get 15K & 15 events.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:32 AM
94boosted
Racer

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Try the Kumho XS. If WCC truly sells the tire in a 345 rear size that would be the way to go (Tire Rack doesn't show it). The only thing would be to verify the difference in rear tire diameters to make sure you don't get drag control issues.

Bill
I have my doubts that I'll get anywhere near 12K miles out of the Kumho XS's based on my experience with Dunlop Direzza Star Spec's on my old car

What do you mean by drag control issues?

Get notified of new replies

To Need some Tire Advice

Quick Reply: Need some Tire Advice