Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My next Road Race Project: ASA Monte Carlo to Camaro conversion

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 09:09 AM
bosco022
Drifting

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts

Default My next Road Race Project: ASA Monte Carlo to Camaro conversion

Over the winter I picked up an ex Michael Waltrip Racing ASA AC Delco Monte Carlo. The car was raced by the grandson of Mr. Butler of Aaron's. One of the Aaron's "Dream Machines". It is the Howe type chassis as used in V8 StockCar GTA and Trans Am 2. It has a good, strong Lingenfelter LS1.

It will get a total ground up rebuild and have the following:

* strong Lingenfelter ASA spec LS1
* fresh quartermaster 7.25 triple disc clutch
* fresh road race Jerico 4 speed
* freshened Winters quickchange rear
* new Bassett lightweight inertia steel wheels
* six piston Wilwood calipers on front
* new 4 piston Wilwood Superlite 3's on rear
* Kirkey road race set
* new interior sheet metal
* new Howe Trans Am 2 Camaro body

At around 2500 # without driver or ballast and with 400 plus HP to the wheels she will be one quick ride.

We will probably race her a few times and then offer for sale. Will be very affordable, probably in the the range of a used T1 C5 Corvette.

Maybe somebody in the south will buy her and come race with us in Crane Cams V8 StockCar.

Last edited by bosco022; 06-28-2012 at 09:22 AM.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:50 AM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

I love the way these car look with the new Camaro body. If I had $30k to spend on a track car I'd love to pick one of these up.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:08 AM
crease-guard
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Would love to see detailed pictures of the build as you go along. I bought a left hander chassis and Monte Carlo body along with various other goodies from Gregg Rodgers a couple months ago for a song. Figured it would be my project for the next couple of years. I would to be able to put a Camaro body on this so I will eagerly watch you do your magic.

Jay
Old 06-28-2012, 12:41 PM
Addicted to track
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 06-29-2012, 05:29 AM
bosco022
Drifting

Will post pics as we move along, also in the middle of the road race late model build. It got stalled for a while, but is now rolling with the motor in the car. It will be a nice piece as well with Penske's, big cup Brembo's, the Trans Am 2 front clip and suspension.

The Corvette is running again after a couple of motor issues, broken LS7 lifter and later the guts falling out of a stock rocker. Now has the Comp Cams trunion upgrade.
Old 07-09-2012, 12:43 PM
Addicted to track
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bosco022
Will post pics as we move along, also in the middle of the road race late model build. It got stalled for a while, but is now rolling with the motor in the car. It will be a nice piece as well with Penske's, big cup Brembo's, the Trans Am 2 front clip and suspension.

The Corvette is running again after a couple of motor issues, broken LS7 lifter and later the guts falling out of a stock rocker. Now has the Comp Cams trunion upgrade.
Hey Bosco. Can you get some pics of before and after the changes to the halo and A-pillars bars? Sounds like this also involves shorting the wheelbase. Is there any issues that arise from that? Thanks!
Old 07-09-2012, 02:06 PM
bosco022
Drifting

Originally Posted by Addicted to track
Hey Bosco. Can you get some pics of before and after the changes to the halo and A-pillars bars? Sounds like this also involves shorting the wheelbase. Is there any issues that arise from that? Thanks!
Will do, it will be a little while before getting going on this, gonna move into a new shop first.

Shouldn't require shortening the wheelbase on this. We did shorten our first Camaro a bit, only because that then made it unneccessary to cut any bars. The flat black car went from about 105 to 102.

Last edited by bosco022; 07-09-2012 at 02:13 PM.
Old 07-09-2012, 02:15 PM
bosco022
Drifting

This the Camaro that Woody is just finishing up for Larry from NY. From bare chassis to this point in about three weeks.

Old 07-09-2012, 09:50 PM
Han Solo
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The front of those things look so un-aero.
Old 07-09-2012, 10:04 PM
bosco022
Drifting

Originally Posted by Han Solo
The front of those things look so un-aero.
I thought so too, but despite that they are fast in Grand Am Rolex GT, Conti Challenge, Trans Am, Camaro Cup, V8 StockCar GTA etc.

Get notified of new replies

To My next Road Race Project: ASA Monte Carlo to Camaro conversion

Quick Reply: My next Road Race Project: ASA Monte Carlo to Camaro conversion