Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SmartyCam

Old 06-28-2012, 01:46 PM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default SmartyCam

Anyone using this?

Not looking to debate which system is better. More interested in feedback on this unit in particular from owners.

Can you give me some pros and cons from actual use?

Thanks.
Old 06-28-2012, 02:09 PM
ZoomFreakinZoom
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's cool because you can overlay your data really easily. The actual camera quality isn't great. It's good but compared to the new Go-Pro HD and the Contour it isn't a great quality camera. If you want to overlay your real time data with a camera it's good for that. If you just want a good camera, go pick up a new Go-Pro HD or a Contour. We use the Smartycam to coach people. It's a good tool because you can improve certain points (turns, braking zones etc) by watching the video in combination with the live data. In my opinion, I would rather just buy a nice camera that will end up costing you 1/2 as much. Here's an example of a Contour camera mounted on my helmet. It's in 720, but it goes to 1080, just too large of a file to upload to YouTube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxWa-...feature=relmfu
Old 06-29-2012, 12:27 PM
JimbeauZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've used a friends on multiple occaisions and I like it because the key data elements I like to see are part of the unit so I don't need a seperate camera and data acquisition system. I don't really need all the capability of a TraqMate, just want to check line, lap times, apex speeds,etc. The picture quality is decent, agree not as good as GoPro, but I'm not posting on YouTube, it's for my own use so I don't care.
Old 06-30-2012, 03:12 PM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

Thanks guys. I bought one and will have it in time to go to Barber and get some ideas on using it. It's got what I need. The video quality is fine. I'm not making HD movies to produce. Just a training tool.
Old 06-30-2012, 03:59 PM
CGZO6
Drifting

Received 325 Likes on 180 Posts

Make sure you get online and download the race studio software from the smartycam site, then download the Barber track data. You have to do that so you can download the track data to the smartycam (if you want the track map overlay on the video)

I purchased the ECU bridge as well. Video shows engine RPM and throtle position, but I never got the xmsn gear to show up correctly...

Last edited by CGZO6; 06-30-2012 at 04:02 PM.
Old 06-30-2012, 06:54 PM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

CGZ06 - Thanks I downloaded and installed the Smartycam and RaceStudio. Also downloaded the latest firmware and all the manuals. To my desktop and laptop. John at Pegasus told me to get it ahead of time and read instructions on the firmware flash. I would most likely need to flash the camera. Plus look over the software and manuals.

Selecting and downloading the config you want and track maps doesn't look painful at all.

I wanted the ECU bridge but the C5 is not supported, only the C6. So no tack.

Get notified of new replies

To SmartyCam

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SmartyCam