Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5's - how are you routing your vapour hoses??

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 09:20 PM
GettReal
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default C5's - how are you routing your vapour hoses??

Hy everyone, this seems to be all over the place. I have done a search and there are a few threads showing how people route their hoses for a catch can but I want one place for you all to post that track their car. Please reply if you have a catch can or not... Its been forever since Ive had a normal set up so I don't even know what normal is anymore.

I was at the track today and getting a LOT of oil in my air duct / coupler / TB, which ended up on my MAF and gave me a reduced power code. How are you running your hoses? Do you use a breather? do you even use the PCV valve? When I run at lower rpm it seems to be ok, but at high rpm for 25-30 min, its a mess.

Driver Side Valve cover --> goes to where
Passenger side rear valve cover --> goes to where
Passenger side front Valve cover --> goes to where
PCV off the valley cover (for Z06's) --> goes to where

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited by GettReal; 07-02-2012 at 09:27 PM.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:08 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Driver Side Valve cover --> Nowhere... LS6 PCV system has no ports on the driver's side valve cover

Passenger side rear valve cover --> Nowhere... LS6 PCV system has no rear valve cover port

Passenger side front Valve cover --> Catch can between the port and the throttle-body. This port is a fresh air feed from the TB to the valve cover. However, during extended high rpm use oil can hang up in the head and get forced into the TB and thus into the air bridge.

PCV off the valley cover (for Z06's) --> Catch can between this port and the valley cover with the PCV valve still in place. 2004 LS6s had a unique valley cover with the pcv valve incorporated into the air/oil separator on the underside.

With a LS1 PCV system the pressure is vented from the rear of each valve cover. I'd still route those through a catch can and put a can on the fresh air feed line. Really no need for anything else. No need to reinvent the wheel with exposed breather filters etc. etc. Just my $0.02. Been racing with the current setup for 2 years w/o issue.

~Brian
Old 07-02-2012, 10:36 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

I don't have an OEM engine to compare, but a few thoughts.

The LS6 valley cover is notorious for developing a leak on the underside. There is an oil/air separator that the breather tube attaches to, and if it has a leak, it will pump oil. Remove the plastic separator, clean everything, and re-attach with fresh silicone.

If you are pumping oil from the rocker covers, consider getting Smith pushrods with restrictors in them. I had a set made for my NASA car that are OEM length, but they can make them any length for custom cams etc.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:55 PM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Now I'm a little confused. I have a 2005 LS6 (from a Caddy) and it has a breather port on each valve cover - driver side rear and passenger side front. I don't know where they went on that car, but they're going to be routed to my catch can when I get there.

I also have the hose from the TB to the valley cover. Do I need this to get to a can somehow? In series?
Old 07-04-2012, 12:08 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Pics? On a LS6 the driver's side VC has the port put it's plugged. When they created the LS6 PCV system they didn't bother making a new valve-cover for the driver's side.

You don't need to use the driver's side port if you have the LS6 valley cover with the PCV vent there. The LS1 system didn't have a breather in the valley cover. It had a port at the rear of each valve cover for the PCV and the port at the front of the passenger side for the fresh air feed.

Here's a good how-to on LS1 to LS6 conversion which shows the differences between the two - http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=18

Get notified of new replies

To C5's - how are you routing your vapour hoses??

Quick Reply: C5's - how are you routing your vapour hoses??