Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My driving makes people sick...

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 06:50 PM
Sargent1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default My driving makes people sick...

Two years ago at Road Atlanta, took my friend for a ride. He made it 19 minutes before throwing up out the door on the pit-in road. Thought it was a fluke until he did the same thing at the end of a session with me at Roebling last April.

Decided to treat my Dad to the same experience at VIR last month. He made it about 11 minutes before he had to run to the bathroom.

He's a good sport for 70 years old. My first time at VIR, so lot to learn there. Great place and met some great people.

Regards,

Chris

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RLSi...&feature=share
Old 07-04-2012, 11:53 PM
sebdavid
Pro

Ask them to look ahead, pick out reference points and pretend like they're driving themselves. It helps, but won't be a cure for everybody. I'm not seeing anything super weird with your driving, usually lack of smoothness causes that but you seem to be reasonably smooth...
Old 07-05-2012, 12:31 AM
OCCOMSRAZOR
Melting Slicks

Pretty normal. I usually only give 3 laps at a time to my friends. Any more and they turn green.

The only one that has lasted a full session is my maniac son.
Old 07-05-2012, 12:57 AM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

Yeah...that's pretty common. I've gotten people sick in 3 laps, but then there are people who aren't phased. As a passenger the only car that got me a little sick was the CTS-V with a Grand-Am Rolex DP driver behind the wheel. We did four laps that were 4.1 miles a piece. So much body roll in that car...whew...got a little rough.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:04 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Originally Posted by sebdavid
Ask them to look ahead, pick out reference points and pretend like they're driving themselves. It helps, but won't be a cure for everybody. I'm not seeing anything super weird with your driving, usually lack of smoothness causes that but you seem to be reasonably smooth...
I always go about 7/10ths the first couple of laps to orient the passengers and show them the line. Then, increase the speed as they are comfortable. The experience is much more enjoyable for them that way.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:22 AM
sebdavid
Pro

Originally Posted by SouthernSon
I always go about 7/10ths the first couple of laps to orient the passengers and show them the line. Then, increase the speed as they are comfortable. The experience is much more enjoyable for them that way.
Absolutely. I have never gotten anyone sick (maybe 1-2 people queasy) and I give a TON of passenger ride at every event. Just go easy the first lap, then increase progressively, point out reference points and ask them to pretend like they're driving.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:55 AM
JeremyGSU
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

It's normal. I've given a lot of rides and only 2-3 have gotten nauseas. Some people just get motion sickness. No different than being on a boat. Some people get sea sick, some don't.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:06 AM
kmagvette
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I always ask if they like roller coasters that get inverted multiple times. If the answer is "no" I suggest that they get in a slower car. Keeping their eyes focused well down track also helps folks...old proven boating analogy.
Old 07-05-2012, 12:37 PM
EyeMaster
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I get that feeling a bit when I'm the passenger, even with great drivers. When I'm driving tho, everything is great!

Kudos to my girlfriend, she cried and was petrified for the first 2 laps, but managed to be ok for the next 3 x 20 minute sessions. She didn't get sick.
Old 07-05-2012, 02:09 PM
mgarfias
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by OCCOMSRAZOR
Pretty normal. I usually only give 3 laps at a time to my friends. Any more and they turn green.

The only one that has lasted a full session is my maniac son.
$20 says I can make a full session. You pay fuel.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:39 PM
Sargent1
Instructor

My friend who threw up twice recently retired from the US Navy where he was a SAR aircrew in SH-3s and SH-60s for 20 years, so I take a certain amount of satisfaction in relieving him of his lunch. He's crazy and I love riding with him on track. He's got a 4000lb 2003 Cobra Mustang. First time I rode with him was at Road Atlanta. 480rwhp, all stock 130,000 suspension, dry-rotted front tires, Nitto drag radials on the rear and WalMart brake fluid in the reservoir. It shed coolant and diff oil all day long. You can't make this stuff up...

Get notified of new replies

To My driving makes people sick...

Quick Reply: My driving makes people sick...