Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lucky save at VIR T10 vid

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 05:03 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Lucky save at VIR T10 vid

I had jumped a curb earlier in session and knocked all me nannies off. I had Mike (xsspd) riding a session with me to work on some more aggressive lines thru certain sections, but this was not one of them. I think I held turn too long for extra speed I was carrying. Pretty lucky not to end up in tire barrier. Apologies for blurry vid.

Old 07-09-2012, 05:25 PM
DansBlkonBlkZ06
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good save! That's a scary part of the track. I like to turn in as soon as I see the gators on the left. That gives me a little more track out on the right. It looks like you held the turn a hair longer. Did you lift when you looked to be running out of track? I remember a C5 Z06 rolled there 2 years ago when he did the same thing you did, but he oversteered and it shot him across the track close to the tire wall after he rolled it.
I know that extra HP you have in that beast of yours from CMP last month. That spot on the track isn't a mash it down spot for me (unless you are TravisD or Bxtrxn). Nice recovery.
How fast are you in the uphill esses? You were very smooth through there.
Old 07-09-2012, 05:49 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

That was a very good save! Staying right on top of it!
Old 07-09-2012, 06:36 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by waddisme
I think I held turn too long for extra speed I was carrying.
Actually the opposite. You 'crabbed' the corner.

You crept (sidled like a crab) away from track right without making a crisp enough turn in. Once you approached apex, because you made the track tighter it was too late to dial in more steering.

Glad it was a moot point!

Mike
Old 07-09-2012, 06:53 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Short-Throw
Actually the opposite. You 'crabbed' the corner.

You crept (sidled like a crab) away from track right without making a crisp enough turn in. Once you approached apex, because you made the track tighter it was too late to dial in more steering.

Glad it was a moot point!

Mike
Effect is somewhat early apex. Of course, it is difficult to know whether the rear end tires would have held with a later apex. May just have to back it down a little and make sure apex is later using turn in from the right edge (wider, gentler radius). But, it is difficult to really assess from the video and not knowing the car. As said, one thing is certain, good save!
Old 07-09-2012, 07:27 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Early apex that turn so you hit the "ridge/hump" (where the pavement transitions to off-camber) more perpendicular to it. This reduces it wanting to throw your rear end out to the right. If you late apex it you go over the "ridge/hump" more parallel to it and it really wants to throw the rear out to the right. It appears you tracked out a bit more than you were comfortable with and were trying to steer the car a bit back to the left. Thus, when you hit the curbs the rear kicked out and you had the wheel pointed a bit left. I tell all students when in doubt floor it through there and unwind the wheel even if you have to put 2 off on the right it's better than having the car snap on you by letting off and/or trying to steer left. Nice to meet you this weekend... that car of yours is really fast and really loud! I had a good time chasing you wile instructing Ben.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:39 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by DansBlkonBlkZ06
That spot on the track isn't a mash it down spot for me (unless you are TravisD or Bxtrxn).
it is for sure a mash it down spot, you know you've taken 10 right when you enter you're thinking "i'll never make it"

nice save

from the bottom of the esses to entering oak tree is some of the best pavement ever laid out on a race track
Old 07-09-2012, 08:49 PM
isnider
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

That was almost a "tank slapper".....nice save!

Ian
Old 07-09-2012, 09:24 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice Save!!! That a looks a shade early to me.

What group was this? VIR schedule says "SRT"
Old 07-09-2012, 10:52 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

NARRA aka ViperDays.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:35 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by DansBlkonBlkZ06
Good save! That's a scary part of the track. I like to turn in as soon as I see the gators on the left. That gives me a little more track out on the right. It looks like you held the turn a hair longer. Did you lift when you looked to be running out of track? I remember a C5 Z06 rolled there 2 years ago when he did the same thing you did, but he oversteered and it shot him across the track close to the tire wall after he rolled it.
I know that extra HP you have in that beast of yours from CMP last month. That spot on the track isn't a mash it down spot for me (unless you are TravisD or Bxtrxn). Nice recovery.
How fast are you in the uphill esses? You were very smooth through there.
Did not lift until rear end broke loose. The rear tires are R80s with 45+ sessions. I did not notice anything different there. Didn't feel like I was running out of track and am comfortable going over gators there if needed. I think I just help turn too long. I am normally at maintenance throttle there until straight and then matt it. I did lift once I felt it break loose, which I know your are not supposed to do, but it is such a natural thing, I don't know how to not do it. I suppose that is what started the tank slapping. I was just hoping it would aim right enough that I could floor it toward the infield.

My entrance speed for esses is 120 and if I hit them right, I am at around 107-110 at the top. Mike was going to show me the 130 line for the esses, but we never got around to it. I suspect it will involve using all of the gators, which I use as a reserve for entry errors along the way.

I was doing the Solo PDE with NARRA. There were a lot of Vipers there.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:26 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by waddisme
.... I did lift once I felt it break loose, which I know your are not supposed to do, but it is such a natural thing, I don't know how to not do it. .....
You are correct that it is against any intuition. Skid pad training gets you used to keeping the rear loaded with throttle while steering out of it. Also, you can pick and chose some turns with forgiving off track room to practice over cooking it a little to get used to keeping a little throttle while counter steering. You can get the feel of it fairly easily as you run into a few times. Again, your save was about as good as it gets.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:08 AM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Good job, Johnny.

Dan - dragging me into a "loose" discussion again?
Old 07-10-2012, 09:14 AM
xsspd
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GM Johnny,

I had a great time at the track this past weekend and enjoyed meeting your family. Thanks for allowing me to ride along with you on Sunday, you've got a great car.

See you next time!

Mike
Old 07-10-2012, 02:32 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Hey man - I appreciate the patience in letting me pick your brain for two days and the instruction. Same for Brad - I got a 30 min class in some driving theory while we were watching the GT race. I worked hard the last session on changing T1-T3, braking at 14, and 5B turn in. Great weekend though. Glad we got to share some shade. Hopefully I will see you out there again.
Old 07-10-2012, 04:15 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

turned in a bit too soon, hit the apex early resulting in tracked out too far.

what speeds were you running through T10? if you have an idea ?

Last edited by AU N EGL; 07-10-2012 at 04:32 PM.
Old 07-10-2012, 04:17 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

The rear tires are R80s with 45+ sessions.
was going to show me the 130 line for the esses,
Not a good idea on tires that used.

New fresh As maybe

Last edited by AU N EGL; 07-10-2012 at 04:32 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Lucky save at VIR T10 vid

Old 07-10-2012, 04:53 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
turned in a bit too soon, hit the apex early resulting in tracked out too far.
Sorry but this is incorrect. He turned in too late and hit the on-camber/off camber transition in the turn at a bad angle; too parallel. As such, the car started to rotate as he transitioned to the off-camber part of the pavement. The car slides some and rotates counter-clockwise some and then it appears he hits the outside curbing which exacerbates the issue.

Watch from 3:22 on... the apex is the very beginning of the original grey curbing. Since this video was shot in March 2011 the new curbing has been added. This was the TTA record lap at the time 2:04.6.

Old 07-10-2012, 06:00 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
Sorry but this is incorrect. He turned in too late and hit the on-camber/off camber transition in the turn at a bad angle; too parallel. As such, the car started to rotate as he transitioned to the off-camber part of the pavement. The car slides some and rotates counter-clockwise some and then it appears he hits the outside curbing which exacerbates the issue.

Watch from 3:22 on... the apex is the very beginning of the original grey curbing. Since this video was shot in March 2011 the new curbing has been added. This was the TTA record lap at the time 2:04.6.

You right Brian it was a bit too late.
Old 07-10-2012, 06:50 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Better than me but there was no oil!

We found a piece of piston in the grass we mowed!

Jim

Quick Reply: Lucky save at VIR T10 vid