Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sloppy OEM Rocker Trunions Verses Trunion Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 03:25 PM
victorf
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Default Sloppy OEM Rocker Trunions Verses Trunion Upgrade

delete this

Last edited by victorf; 09-12-2012 at 11:19 PM.
Old 07-12-2012, 04:56 PM
Bad Karma
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

How can an upgrade that fits in the factory rocker arms change valve-train geometry if everything is the same size and fits in the same place?

In my opinion if you have bad valve-train geometry with a trunion bearing upgrade you will have bad geometry with the factory rocker arms untouched.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:37 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I have the comp upgrade. At the same time I installed a very mild (similar to ls6) cam, link bar lifters and correct length pushrods. Took it straight to the track and no trunnion related problems. Other than that very little time on motor since then so I cannot answer long term durabiliity. I'd like to know what the problems were and why.
Old 07-13-2012, 11:39 AM
Bad Karma
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by victorf
First off, do you have trunion upgrade with oem cams? My question is for those that have used trunion upgrade along with oem valve trains!

---

On another forum, some very experienced people have found trunion upgraded stock rockers caused premature wear on valve guides with aftermarket cams, springs and push rod combination. Trickflow don't recommend trunion upgrade to use with their head and alfter market cams and valve train combination due to geometry change!

---

Back to square one!
Yes, I'm running the trunion upgrade on stock cam/valvetrain. It's been on for somewhere over 8,000 miles.

Changing a cam changes the game. The rocker tip sweeps across the valve as it moves, ideally it sweeps equally across the valve tip if you change the cam specs it can the valvetrain geometry putting a higher force on either the inside or outside of the valve putting extra pressure on the valve stem.

I'm still fuzzy on how a cam upgrade package that would work with factory rockers would cause problems with factory rocks that only had a trunion upgrade.

Do you know if Trickflow states that their upgrade packages are good with factory rockers with their original bearings? If so, I'd like to know more about why.
Old 07-14-2012, 03:28 AM
hapnermw
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get the CHE upgraded stock rockers.

CHE replaces the needle bearings with a special low friction bushing. They were originally developed for short track use. They definitely do not change the valve train geometry.

http://cheprecision.com/html/home.html

Get notified of new replies

To Sloppy OEM Rocker Trunions Verses Trunion Upgrade

Quick Reply: Sloppy OEM Rocker Trunions Verses Trunion Upgrade