Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS3 oiling issue? how bout LSX?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 12:19 PM
BullF-16
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS3 oiling issue? how bout LSX?

I have a 2011 Camaro that is set up for the road course with a full Pedders Justice road course suspension with Pedders ZL1 sway bars and Bridgestone 305/30 R19 RE-11 Potenzas on all 4 corners with Forgeline wheels. This thing sticks to the road!!!

Anyway, popped my #5 piston top ringland and now HKE is just about done with my LSX427, dragon slayer, ceramic coated wisecos, Callies ultra billet rods, Mast black label 305 LS7 6 bolt heads, LS7 intake (basically just about all the best stuff is crammed inside this motor. I will be running a D1Sc with meth and hope to get 12psi out of it for about 800rwhp(yes, i know...overkill for road course).

Its primarily a street car that is set up for the road course. Its kind of a "jack of all trades" toy. I will run it on a 2.5 mile road course (Eagles Canyon Raceway) about once a month and am concerned with the keeping the oil where it belongs. it will be capable of sustained 1.0G+ long sweeping turns and want to know if the the LSX block is better with keeping oil down in the pan and out of the heads/lifter trays unlike what I have heard about the LS3.

I asked this over on Camaro5 forum but noone over there seems to know anything about this type of thing. I figure since you guys here do this all the time you would be the experts.

so, should i be concerned....I am adding a big oil cooler BTW.

Thanks

Last edited by BullF-16; 07-13-2012 at 02:27 PM.
Old 07-13-2012, 01:04 PM
JerryTX
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Your throwing a crap ton of money at this thing, is there any reason your not looking at dry sumping it? Turn 9 (and turn 3 for that matter) at ECR are exactly the type of turns that make LS motors cry for mercy with oil pressure.

What kind of lap times are you doing at ECR?
Old 07-13-2012, 01:32 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

First things first

Welcome to the RR form

Second. get rid of "I will be running a D1Sc with meth and hope to get 12psi out of it for about 800rwhp(yes, i know...overkill for road course). "

Meth is NOT ALLOWED ON ROAD COURSE, or is N2.

HKE , Eric is a great engine builder, why not just have him build you a LSX road race engine with a Daily dry sump?
Old 07-13-2012, 01:44 PM
Paul Schmidt
Racer

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
First things first

Welcome to the RR form

HKE , Eric is a great engine builder, why not just have him build you a LSX road race engine with a Daily dry sump?

With that investment I would go with the Dailey Dry Sump system. Yeah it's an extreme set up, but very worth it. I'm still working on mine after I spun a bearing. Here's a pic of it. I wish it was installed and on the track. Being a starving club racer, I have a little more saving $ to do. Very worth it.

Old 07-13-2012, 02:19 PM
BullF-16
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by jerrytx
Your throwing a crap ton of money at this thing, is there any reason your not looking at dry sumping it? Turn 9 (and turn 3 for that matter) at ECR are exactly the type of turns that make LS motors cry for mercy with oil pressure.

What kind of lap times are you doing at ECR?
This is why i am asking you guys this. I have looked at dry sump but is it really necessary for a glorified street car. I do not plan to race the car but only run it at the monthly open track days just to get it out and have some fun.

I have only had the car for 10 months and the last 4 its been parked with a broken top ringland on #5. So i have never road coursed it. I just found out about ECR a couple weeks ago and they say to bring the car out to their track days and get checked out to run solo. I think it should run 2:15 or so with practice.
Old 07-13-2012, 02:23 PM
BullF-16
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
First things first

Welcome to the RR form

Second. get rid of "I will be running a D1Sc with meth and hope to get 12psi out of it for about 800rwhp(yes, i know...overkill for road course). "

Meth is NOT ALLOWED ON ROAD COURSE, or is N2.

Dude....relax, i have never done anything like this....im not a big road racer nor have i ever raced. I only plan to take it to ECR at their monthly track days to have fun. Better than on the streets! I talked to them and they told me to bring it out...when its ready. They said nothing about the meth. I could always leave the tank empty.

The LS3 block in the car now i plan to have ERL sleeve it. I was gonna forge and stroke it and have it as a spare. Guess i could ship it down to Erik and have him build me a high compression road race motor. My LSX motor should be done in the next couple months

Last edited by BullF-16; 07-13-2012 at 02:25 PM.
Old 07-13-2012, 03:01 PM
JerryTX
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BullF-16
This is why i am asking you guys this. I have looked at dry sump but is it really necessary for a glorified street car. I do not plan to race the car but only run it at the monthly open track days just to get it out and have some fun.

I have only had the car for 10 months and the last 4 its been parked with a broken top ringland on #5. So i have never road coursed it. I just found out about ECR a couple weeks ago and they say to bring the car out to their track days and get checked out to run solo. I think it should run 2:15 or so with practice.
If you stay on street tires, which you really should given you've never done anything like high performance driving, then you may be ok without a dry sump. There are a lot of guys on these forums that will tell you that tracking a forced induction car is only full of headaches. Nobody in this section is impressed with HP, its driving skill and what happens between the straights that matter. The more power your car makes, the more of an impediment it is going to be to learning how to go fast in the turns. You will learn, after getting on track, that you really want an instructor as long as they'll ride with you and as long as they say you are still learning. It is pretty humbling to be driving a fast/modded car only to have a Miata pass you. Your car with the suspension setup you described and a bone stock motor should be in the 2:05 range at ECR FYI.

Maybe consider getting it running again as cheap as possible and just get on track to experience it, for most, it is so much fun we drop all the road going shenanigans and throw our wallet and attention to the track. Think about it!
Old 07-13-2012, 03:20 PM
Maynor29
Instructor

To echo some of the other sentiments already posted... Dry sump would be a MUCH better use of $$ than the supercharger. HKE is building the motor so that's a smart move. They built mine as well and it rocks.

Thought#1:
I'm an ex "add a supercharger to a dual duty street/track car" guy too. I found that not only was the reliability horrible, the power was a waste because I never learned how to drive the corners.

I got passed by many a Miata in the process. Short of an OEM forced induction setup, you're not going to be happy is my bet. Most OEM FI setups barely survive on track due to heat soak etc, as an FYI. An aftermarket add-on setup is only asking for trouble.

Thought#2:
Not aware of any LSX or LS3 engines being very reliable on track, even in naturally aspirated form, SHORT of running street tires (non-R compound of any type).

You could get lucky and gamble that big$$ newly built 427 on track... but.. history would not be your friend here. Your gamble.

At a minimum, stick with street tires if you do make the gamble. Those 19s aren't going to be doing you any favors on track either but run what you brung.

Good luck but have fun otherwise.

John (Dry sumped 427 LS2 track car owner)

Last edited by Maynor29; 07-13-2012 at 03:22 PM.
Old 07-13-2012, 03:37 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by Maynor29
Thought#2:
Not aware of any LSX or LS3 engines being very reliable on track, even in naturally aspirated form, SHORT of running street tires (non-R compound of any type).

LS3 with dry sump is reliable. Basically, the oil problem is inherent in all LS engines from the LS1 up. Some seem to do better than others. Shifting one gear higher in corners helps by cutting down engine rpms so less oil gets pumped to the top of the engine. A lot of people twist the hell out of the engine when they don't need to.

As for the OP, you want an instructor in the car with you as much as possible. Going someplace and getting signed off after a couple of laps will leave you slow and wondering why you are being passed by almost everybody on the track. If you don't give point bys the drivers of the so called slower cars will complain and somebody will have a discussion with you about track courtesy. Speed on road courses comes in the corners and you have to know how to do that. Street driving doesn't even come close to teaching you how to do it.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 07-13-2012 at 04:15 PM.
Old 07-13-2012, 04:06 PM
BullF-16
Heel & Toe

Thanks Guys! Looks like i'll just stick to the streets.
Old 09-29-2013, 10:39 AM
niphilli2
Drifting

Received 148 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Maynor29
To echo some of the other sentiments already posted... Dry sump would be a MUCH better use of $$ than the supercharger. HKE is building the motor so that's a smart move. They built mine as well and it rocks.

Thought#1:
I'm an ex "add a supercharger to a dual duty street/track car" guy too. I found that not only was the reliability horrible, the power was a waste because I never learned how to drive the corners.

I got passed by many a Miata in the process. Short of an OEM forced induction setup, you're not going to be happy is my bet. Most OEM FI setups barely survive on track due to heat soak etc, as an FYI. An aftermarket add-on setup is only asking for trouble.

Thought#2:

You could get lucky and gamble that big$$ newly built 427 on track... but.. history would not be your friend here. Your gamble.

At a minimum, stick with street tires if you do make the gamble. Those 19s aren't going to be doing you any favors on track either but run what you brung.

Good luck but have fun otherwise.

John (Dry sumped 427 LS2 track car owner)

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
LS3 with dry sump is reliable. Basically, the oil problem is inherent in all LS engines from the LS1 up. Some seem to do better than others. Shifting one gear higher in corners helps by cutting down engine rpms so less oil gets pumped to the top of the engine. A lot of people twist the hell out of the engine when they don't need to.

As for the OP, you want an instructor in the car with you as much as possible. Going someplace and getting signed off after a couple of laps will leave you slow and wondering why you are being passed by almost everybody on the track. If you don't give point bys the drivers of the so called slower cars will complain and somebody will have a discussion with you about track courtesy. Speed on road courses comes in the corners and you have to know how to do that. Street driving doesn't even come close to teaching you how to do it.

Bill
This is strange. I know quite a few LS6 guys that have had extremely good reliability from the stock long-block with dedicated track cars. My neighbor also has a stock long block LS2 with 70K miles on it. I think he said he now has 6K track miles on it, believe me they are not easy miles (full slicks, fully adjustable coilovers, big brakes, etc).

So are these guys just really lucky?

Last edited by niphilli2; 09-29-2013 at 10:41 AM.
Old 09-29-2013, 01:11 PM
hungryhippo
Drifting

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts

I think you should be fine on street tires. And like mentioned above, with that kind of power, you can be in a higher gear. Maybe just get an accusump for a little insurance and a lot less money.

Get notified of new replies

To LS3 oiling issue? how bout LSX?

Quick Reply: LS3 oiling issue? how bout LSX?