Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 FRC banging from the rear in high G turns?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 10:17 PM
moespeeds
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default C5 FRC banging from the rear in high G turns?

In extended high G turns I'm getting a banging from the rear of the car, like a hammer blow. A friend told me it's the differential and it's normal. The car doesn't upset or lose traction in any way. So far I've noticed it in very hard extended right turns when I'm hard on the gas. It's not constant or consistent, seems random but only in hard turns under power. I'm running Royal Purple 90w Diff with no additive. '00 FRC LS1. Is this normal?
Old 07-15-2012, 10:24 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

I don't know about the diff making a noise like that, but your rear sway bar could be popping from one side to the other in those conditions.
Old 07-16-2012, 12:05 AM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by moespeeds
Is this normal?
No.
Have you checked to make sure nothing is loose in the suspension?
Old 07-16-2012, 01:24 AM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

Check for cracks in the hub around the center of the flange.

It will make a deep loud twanging bang when it is cracking/cracked?

Also check for cracks in your wheel spokes although that is a much more subtle and high frequency tapping sound.

Oli
Old 07-16-2012, 07:34 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

also check your bearings.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:52 AM
moespeeds
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

No cracks, no loose suspension, bearings are good, sway bar looks good. I should have included that in the OP, when I heard it the first time I took the car to the track, I went over everything under there with a microscope. When I went to VIR, I never heard it once all weekend. First time was at NJMP Thunderbolt, in the long right hander. Last weekend I was at lightning, and same thing in the long right hander going under the bridge. Only in high G turns when I'm hard on the gas.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:01 AM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

In extended high G turns I'm getting a banging from the rear of the car, like a hammer blow. A friend told me it's the differential and it's normal. The car doesn't upset or lose traction in any way. So far I've noticed it in very hard extended right turns when I'm hard on the gas. It's not constant or consistent, seems random but only in hard turns under power. I'm running Royal Purple 90w Diff with no additive. '00 FRC LS1. Is this normal?
I occasionally have exactly the same noise on high G right hand corners. I have gone thru all the nuts on the suspension, sway, etc. several times. I have even disconnected the sway altogether and the noise will still occur. I have replaced end links. I have checked wheel bearings and they seem fine. Its been doing it for several years now, only on high speed rights and only on occasion. At Thunderbolt the last turn before the front straight is where it occurs most often. Never heard mention that it could be the diff before. My car has LG colilovers and I've been assuming it might be interfearance between the sping coil and the tie rod.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:03 AM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

No cracks, no loose suspension, bearings are good, sway bar looks good. I should have included that in the OP, when I heard it the first time I took the car to the track, I went over everything under there with a microscope. When I went to VIR, I never heard it once all weekend. First time was at NJMP Thunderbolt, in the long right hander. Last weekend I was at lightning, and same thing in the long right hander going under the bridge. Only in high G turns when I'm hard on the gas.
At Thunderbolt is that the right heading into the octopus or the right onto the front straight?
Old 07-16-2012, 12:10 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

The endlinks may be hitting the rear tie rods if your sway bar moves laterally in the mounts.
You should be able to tell if you will have a problem with the coils by jacking up the rear spindle with the tire off.
Old 07-16-2012, 12:41 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Could just be the tires chucking a glob of rubber off. They usually come off at high speed and make a loud bang as they hit the wheel well liner.
Old 07-16-2012, 05:32 PM
pewterhdtop
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cobra4B nailed what I have experienced with my C5 FRC, mostly occurs in the high G turns, many times it is the pick up rubber parting ways with the tire into the wheel well.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:36 PM
UstaB-GS549
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
Could just be the tires chucking a glob of rubber off. They usually come off at high speed and make a loud bang as they hit the wheel well liner.
Same here. Track turds. Just one corner at GingerMan. Happens every time that I run there.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:58 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by pewterhdtop
Cobra4B nailed what I have experienced with my C5 FRC, mostly occurs in the high G turns, many times it is the pick up rubber parting ways with the tire into the wheel well.
Happening here at the :20 sec mark and the 2:08 mark. Skip through the rest. It's all pretty boring.

Old 07-16-2012, 09:22 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Just a WAG but my buddy picked up a CTSV and had a banging noise on hard shifts & it was some internals in the diff. He found later that the ctsv diff has a weakness in it.

I know it's not exactly the same diff, so just putting it out there as a data point.

Hope you track it down. Doesn't sound like a track turd to me. Sounds metal.

Old 07-16-2012, 10:22 PM
2 GTOs
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '11-'12

I get it at 9 and sometimes going onto the straight as well. I always assumed it was some thing shifting.
Old 07-17-2012, 01:02 AM
CP Thunder
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Check your rear diff bolts.........ask Chris Ingle what it sounds like when the diff is going side to side in the car. He didn't find it until he put a GO PRO under the car (IIRC).
Old 07-17-2012, 10:02 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

I had a clunk in the rear of my C5Z that I searched for for a couple of years and never found. It sounded like something sliding sideways inside the rear frame rail and would happen on either left or right hand turns.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To C5 FRC banging from the rear in high G turns?

Old 07-17-2012, 12:13 PM
VGLNTE1
Le Mans Master

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by redtopz
I don't know about the diff making a noise like that, but your rear sway bar could be popping from one side to the other in those conditions.
yup
Old 07-17-2012, 12:36 PM
SteveDoten
Le Mans Master

Received 160 Likes on 125 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

I've never seen and it's rarely posted, there was a TSB from 10 years ago concerning a part of the FRC frame coming apart; don't have the details, IIRC is was the sheet metal skin near the tanks

.........GOPro under car is a good idea
Old 07-17-2012, 02:14 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Hmmm... have a link to that TSB? That's one I've never heard of. I did see another one I'd never heard of that Bill Curlee posted where the rear upper shock mount weld was failing.

Quick Reply: C5 FRC banging from the rear in high G turns?