Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help Requested - Options for 243 Heads

Old 07-16-2012, 10:04 AM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Default Help Requested - Options for 243 Heads

The LS6 in my C5 has about 45 track hours on it (~14500 combined street and track miles). I have had the oil tested twice - Sept of last year and most recently in Jun of this year. Both reports showed that the Copper PPM was high and accelerating: it was 80PPM last Sept and is now 115PPM. (universal ave. reported by Blackstone is in the 30-40PPM range).

As best anyone has been able to tell me the high copper is most likely due to bronze valve guides. Does this sound correct?

I want to do some preventitive maintenance here. At a minimum I want to change the valve springs but the high copper has me concerned and I'm thinking the whole heads will need to be rebuilt. Can anyone offer some guidance or advice on what you'd do?

The motor is internally bone stock. I do have long tube headers, and ECS tune and K&N intake. I also have a DeWitts radiator with EOC. I usually drive in the advanced group at DEs.

Update: the motor uses very little oil, like maybe 1/4 qt per track weekend. No smoke or abnormal noise either (thanks to shifter6 for reminding me to add that)

Thanks for any help, Brad.

Last edited by argonaut; 07-16-2012 at 11:58 AM.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:30 AM
Shifter6
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your oil test would not concern me that much. When you actually exhibit symptoms is when I would worry.

Does your engine smoke on startup? If the valve seals are not wiped yet, I would hold off.

Once you see smoke on startup, you know the worn guides finally ruined the seals.

Or of course any abnormal noise...
Old 07-16-2012, 09:08 PM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The last lab report I had from Blackstone told me not to worry about an engine showing above 150ppm of copper. They said is typical of GM engines up to 40-50K miles and especially a tracked car. I agree with the other poster. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I believe I read somewhere that it is actually coming from the factory head gasket, not the heads or springs or valves.

Get notified of new replies

To Help Requested - Options for 243 Heads

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help Requested - Options for 243 Heads