Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How often do you torque your lug nuts on Race/HPDE days?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 04:40 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Default How often do you torque your lug nuts on Race/HPDE days?

The thread title is really rhetorical -- it's not meant as a debate but as a heads up to those who may not realize why you must constantly check your car between races/sessions, not just at tech.

I had a buddy racer drive my T1/ST2 car on Saturday (after we ran a NASA 3 hour enduro race the day before) as he was giving rides as a birthday present to a friend's son. Both his cars went down on Friday, (water pump and wheel bearing) hence using mine.

After the third session we were checking over the car and saw a stud missing off from the left front tire. Ironically later on I was in a golf cart talking to the starter when she told me she found a stud in the hot pit with the lug still attached, yup it was mine, and thankfully I already knew about it.

Remember:

1) Never assume just because you 'nut and bolted' your car or had a shop do it, that it is good to go for the day or 2-3 day event. Even if you don't torque your lugs (never do it hot after a session), there are visual checks you should always perform -- brake pad depth, all lugs attached, oil levels, etc...

2) Keep your helmet visor down. I've been hit with chunks of rubber that make a heck of an impact coming from the track, I can't imagine taking a hit from a bolt or lug. Anyone ever experience that?

Mike
Old 07-16-2012, 04:50 PM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

In the morning and then before the afternoon sessions.

I have had people check my lugs at tech and I still recheck before heading out on the track for the first session.

Old 07-16-2012, 05:18 PM
RDnomorecobra
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Same here. On both occasions they are cool. I learned the visor thing the hard way. As I suspect most do.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:37 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

yep keep visor down after reading some horror stories on here
Old 07-16-2012, 06:39 PM
dfinke23
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Short-Throw

2) Keep your helmet visor down. I've been hit with chunks of rubber that make a heck of an impact coming from the track, I can't imagine taking a hit from a bolt or lug. Anyone ever experience that?
Not a stud, but a fairly large rock. I was in a Formula car when a rock came bounding across from another car that had gone off, and whacked me in the head - it was like slow motion. I ducked at the last minute and it hit the top edge of my visor (where it overlaps the helmet), but I think it would have broken through my visor.....it definitely rung my bell.
Luckily, it was right before pit-in. I pulled off and there was enough damage I had to change the visor. I had it down then (Formula car), but I keep it down all the time now.

Last edited by dfinke23; 07-16-2012 at 07:07 PM.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:28 PM
Bedouin
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

After I torque mine; snug, then 70' lbs, then 100' lbs, & I mark each lug with a 1/2" line, from center of the lugs, all pointing inward to center, so I can give them a quick look over prior to each session, or whenever I drive, & know they're torqued correctly.
I prefer not to continually loosen/torque bolts (possibly fatigue them) if I don't need to.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:35 PM
rayk
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wicked Weasel @ ECS
In the morning and then before the afternoon sessions.

I have had people check my lugs at tech and I still recheck before heading out on the track for the first session.

Old 07-16-2012, 07:39 PM
Z06TWT
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

I check mine cold the night before each track day.....HPDE only
Old 07-16-2012, 07:50 PM
triple_s1x
Advanced

With the race car we do full bolt checks before / after practice, and after qualifying getting ready for the race. This was an odd weekend for us assuming the heat played a big part, but we found several nuts / bolts that decided to work themselves loose. Including a rear caliper bolt that disappeared.. ;0

-mike h
Old 07-16-2012, 08:02 PM
rayk
Drifting

Originally Posted by triple_s1x
With the race car we do full bolt checks before / after practice, and after qualifying getting ready for the race. This was an odd weekend for us assuming the heat played a big part, but we found several nuts / bolts that decided to work themselves loose. Including a rear caliper bolt that disappeared.. ;0

-mike h
I had a trq wrench go bad earlier this year. Didn't catch it at the time, but felt the vibration in the car. Noticed the clicker was going off too soon when I went to check the lugs. Got out the old trq wrench and it solved the vibration, just more clumsy to use. Probably a self induced error since I used the trq wrench to loosen some lugs and broke it.

Now I need to check the caliper bolts too......................
Old 07-16-2012, 08:19 PM
BERETTA
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts

I check mine everytime I put wheels on in the shop and always before each time out on the track. There are just too many other things that can go wrong, we can at least eliminate that one variable.

The visor I need to work on, I leave it partially open most of the time, I feel a little quizzy after a few laps with it completely closed. Some of the other guys this weekend were wearing patches behind their ears to help with motion sickness. I am fully aware of the dangers of leaving it partially open, does anyone else have this problem?
Old 07-16-2012, 08:35 PM
db2xpert
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

Before every run.

A couple of years ago one snapped off as I was checking the torque.
That was a stock stud.

Now they are all ARPs.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:36 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

I ck once cold before start & again after lunch cold. Walk around each session for visual & pop hood coolant & oil.

The thread title is really rhetorical -- it's not meant as a debate but as a heads up to those who may not realize why you must constantly check your car between races/sessions, not just at tech.

I had a buddy racer drive my T1/ST2 car on Saturday (after we ran a NASA 3 hour enduro race the day before) as he was giving rides as a birthday present to a friend's son. Both his cars went down on Friday, (water pump and wheel bearing) hence using mine.

After the third session we were checking over the car and saw a stud missing off from the left front tire. Ironically later on I was in a golf cart talking to the starter when she told me she found a stud in the hot pit with the lug still attached, yup it was mine, and thankfully I already knew about it.

Remember:

1) Never assume just because you 'nut and bolted' your car or had a shop do it, that it is good to go for the day or 2-3 day event. Even if you don't torque your lugs (never do it hot after a session), there are visual checks you should always perform -- brake pad depth, all lugs attached, oil levels, etc...

Mike
Old 07-16-2012, 09:46 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,101 Likes on 715 Posts

Mike
Actually learned another use of wearing long sleeve shirts, too. A couple of years ago at VIR about half way down the back stretch I felt a really bad burning sensation in my left arm pit. The little sucker got me at least twice before getting free. Student said he could see the bee/wasp flying in the back window after it was all over. Short sleeve shirts can have too much exposure for several reasons.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:27 PM
Vf430
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found out last two events the lug nuts were loose after 4 sessions of 30 min each. From now on i m going to check twice on the event day. I never had this issue with my other cars before. Just wondering if its common issue on vette ?
Old 07-17-2012, 12:36 AM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Vf430
I found out last two events the lug nuts were loose after 4 sessions of 30 min each. From now on i m going to check twice on the event day. I never had this issue with my other cars before. Just wondering if its common issue on vette ?
No.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:17 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Number of years ago driving VIR in the rain, I went into the tire wall on the left side of the lower esses. Driver side mirrow glass popped out and flew into my chin guard / eye shield. and bounced over to the dashboard.

Been hit in the helmet by BIG BUGS flying into the cockpit, T 4 left hander

as far as lug nuts, not since I went to ARP studs and hardened lug open ended lug nuts no problems. The stock lug nuts with those aluminum covers over, well that is different

Get notified of new replies

To How often do you torque your lug nuts on Race/HPDE days?

Old 07-17-2012, 08:40 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Number of years ago driving VIR in the rain, I went into the tire wall on the left side of the lower esses. Driver side mirrow glass popped out and flew into my chin guard / eye shield. and bounced over to the dashboard.

Been hit in the helmet by BIG BUGS flying into the cockpit, T 4 left hander

as far as lug nuts, not since I went to ARP studs and hardened lug open ended lug nuts no problems. The stock lug nuts with those aluminum covers over, well that is different

Tom good point about the lugs. I use Gorilla lugs on the car and McGard on the TBSS both are much better than OEM. Nothing worse than having that aluminum cover start to spin without the lug.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:47 AM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

I change tires multiple times throughout the day, so my answer is, "A lot."
Old 07-17-2012, 09:02 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

I torque mine when I switch from street tires/pads to track tires, and again after little check ride around the neighborhood. Then tech usually torques them, and then before the afternoon sessions. I have never had one even come close to coming loose.

My helmet is the hybrid that cover most of the face without shield. I then wear my sunglasses to cover most of the rest. All that is exposed is my nose and upper lip.

Quick Reply: How often do you torque your lug nuts on Race/HPDE days?