Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NASA VIR tweets

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 07:39 AM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Default NASA VIR tweets

In case anyone is interested - some UTCC coverage too:

https://twitter.com/BikeyNomori

Last edited by RX-Ben; 07-20-2012 at 01:40 PM.
Old 07-20-2012, 12:47 PM
spazegun2213
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been stalking mylaps... and WOW there are some fast times.
Old 07-21-2012, 11:27 AM
930man
Instructor

We had a blast!
My lil old M3 also took fastest Private BMW along with fastest Vette and overall..
The BMW had major antilock issues.. Come on sometimes then none other times I know we lost at least a second... We have gone at least 1 second to 1.5 seconds faster before .. But still fun
Old 07-21-2012, 05:51 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Sounds like a crazy weekend with Brian's mechanical issues and your electrical problems.
Old 07-21-2012, 06:02 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by sperkins
Sounds like a crazy weekend with Brian's mechanical issues and your electrical problems.
What were Brian's mechanical issues? Looked like he was running strong 1st session.
Old 07-21-2012, 08:37 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

lifter, hopefully nothing worse
Old 07-22-2012, 12:29 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Managed a 2:03.7 in the fricken' warm-up session. My track record is a 2:03.65. I was all set to put some new tricks into play with stickers, but a lifter went bad on the first timed session (hoping that's all it is). Car was down on power, oil pressure a bit lower than normal, and lots of ticking/ Managed a 2:04.7 driving like a crazy person. I knew it was down on power when I held my foot on the floor from the lower esses all the way through the upper esses. I thought the ticking was my OEM mufflers continuing to go bad, but that wasn't the case. No broken valve springs or messed up rockers. Still here to instruct for tomorrow. Will pull the heads when I get home and get the car in the garage. Anyone have a spare TTA car I can drive tomorrow? If I win any tires I'll give you one
Old 07-22-2012, 08:33 AM
2MCHPWR
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

damn bro.
any more updates? l
Old 07-23-2012, 01:07 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

I managed a 2:07 on 7 cylinders (which will knock 10mph off your top speed) and backing plates for rear pads, which was the session where I did my best driving. I must have not put a boot on the spark plug after checking my pass. bank plugs. I am an idiot, but it was a pretty hectic Sunday morning.
I was losing top speed after the first Sat session - I thought it was due to a plug or a wire since one of the wires I removed (when swapping the starter) had a cracked boot. The culprit might be the fuel pump as on Saturday I started to hear a piercing high pitch whine at higher rpm from the rear and I think the pump was making irregular noises while idling on the drive home. It is tough to hear much through my helmet at high rpm so something isn't right. I ran low on gas, stuttered and backfired during the second Friday or first Sat session so maybe I cooked it.
I didn't put everything (all 17+ turns) together until the 7 cylinder session. Tossed away a 2:04.0 lap in the first Sunday session in the roller coaster, but the lap was encouraging as I knew that I was getting close despite being down on speed and giving up a bit of time through the upper esses. I did a lot of learning on Saturday and it usually takes a day to click.
The track is huge and missing two sessions on Friday due to the non-cranking issue definitely hurt. VIR is like two tracks as there are so many turns and only T1 is not linked to another turn. Definitely different than any track that I have been to. I was a bit gun shy after not understanding why I snap spun in the middle of the esses on Friday (which somehow lead to my car not wanting to crank over).
The track seems to be pretty easy on tires as they looked great and felt fine through the 10th heat cycle.

Lots of fun despite the on and off track issues and great to meet Brian and Jody.

For the record - the no cranking was due to a faulty ignition switch. A very quick fix, if you have the part handy.

Last edited by RX-Ben; 07-30-2012 at 05:07 PM.
Old 07-23-2012, 01:34 PM
spazegun2213
Burning Brakes

Ben,
VIR takes time to learn, but once you get it, it will be a favorite! I'm glad you made it though "ok" after all your issues!

Get notified of new replies

To NASA VIR tweets

Quick Reply: NASA VIR tweets