Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tips for mounting GoPro Hero2 Motorsports Camera?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 11:41 AM
Captain Buddha
Drifting

Received 177 Likes on 129 Posts

Default Tips for mounting GoPro Hero2 Motorsports Camera?

Like the title says, any tips for mounting the Motorsports edition camera inside a C6? Have a track day tomorrow at Eagles Canyon Raceway (Decatur, TX). I plan on using the suction cup mount that comes with the package. Car is bone stock '12 Grand Sport, no harness bar yet. Contemplating mounting on the outside of the windshield up high (where the mirror mounts) but most likely will go with mounting it to the inside of the rear hatch glass looking straight forward, I think it would be beneficial to have the "inside looking out" view.

Appreciate the input!
Old 07-20-2012, 12:28 PM
jcsperson
Team Owner

Received 745 Likes on 429 Posts
NC Events Coordinator

I'm not a fan of videos that are shot from "the back seat." Most of the details of the track are obscured and it looks like you're peering out of a tunnel. My two cents.

You'll have multiple sessions. Try both and see which you like.
Old 07-20-2012, 01:07 PM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

I mount mine on the inside of the windshield just to the right of the rearview mirror. You get better sound with it not being in the wind.

You can see it in this photo:

Here's one shot from the outside of the windshield:
Old 07-20-2012, 01:09 PM
spazegun2213
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After trying several angles, up high on the roof/windshield gives the best field of view, but sacrifices audio quality (then again I have one of the first gen HD's with the horrible mic).

Inside you might try mounting it upside down and sticking it to the windshield if you can find some place where it will not block your view.

edit: like scooters
Old 07-20-2012, 01:18 PM
JeremyGSU
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Scooter70
I mount mine on the inside of the windshield just to the right of the rearview mirror. You get better sound with it not being in the wind.

You can see it in this photo:

Here's one shot from the outside of the windshield:
Can you give some more details on how you mounted that?
Old 07-20-2012, 01:25 PM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by JeremyGSU
Can you give some more details on how you mounted that?
I just stuck a flat sticky mount to the inside of the windshield. The camera pops in and out easily and I can actually hit the button to turn it on while buckled into the seat.
Old 07-20-2012, 02:07 PM
2MCHPWR
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

http://youtu.be/GZFNWvYbGEw
Old 07-20-2012, 02:55 PM
Captain Buddha
Drifting

I just stuck a flat sticky mount to the inside of the windshield. The camera pops in and out easily and I can actually hit the button to turn it on while buckled into the seat.

Scooter: I think I like your setup the best, that is a *great* idea! Thank you for sharing (thank you to everyone else too!)!

Question regarding the flat sticky mount: what is the longevity / life-expectency of the sticky mount? In other words, is it something you need to replace every few uses or is it pretty permanent?

Also - what camera settings would you recommend for autocrossing vs road course?

Thank you!
Old 07-20-2012, 03:19 PM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

It's pretty permanent. Mine has been there for two seasons and hasn't moved. As for the settings, I just set the resolution (720p 60fps) and set it for "upside down" mode. I haven't played with any of the other settings and it seems to work well.
Old 07-20-2012, 03:25 PM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Received 297 Likes on 78 Posts

Scooter70s setup also worked best for me. I use 720 at 30FPM and I use the setting recommended for inside looking out for focus and light. Anything above 720 uses up large amounts of card space and is hard to send to other people because of the file size. JD
Note: besure to use a SD card that has a 4 or better rating!!! Anything lower doesn't work well in the cameras.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfxMXSuWBE4

Last edited by JDIllon; 07-20-2012 at 03:29 PM.
Old 07-20-2012, 03:39 PM
GO_BLUE_VETTES
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g64ZKrSuyHY&feature=plcp

Helmet mount - use the suction cup mount, invert the camera and set it up to record upside down (i.e right side up).
Old 07-20-2012, 05:36 PM
dbratten
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

I've found that using the suction-cup mount has less noise than the stick-on mounts. It is easy to mount the camera upside down to the right of the rear view mirror and have it not obstruct your view. As others mentioned, chose the upside-down mode in the settings. I use the open back on the camera which I also find is quieter while still picking up normal talking in the car.

If you choose to mount the camera to the rear glass you'll want to change to spot metering (I think that's right) to be able to see out from a dark area into the sun. Mounted on the windshield, you'll use the normal metering. Check the instructions.
Old 07-20-2012, 06:06 PM
Captain Buddha
Drifting

Thank you all for your input!!
Old 07-20-2012, 06:11 PM
Captain Buddha
Drifting

Originally Posted by GO_BLUE_VETTES
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g64ZKrSuyHY&feature=plcp

Helmet mount - use the suction cup mount, invert the camera and set it up to record upside down (i.e right side up).
After watching your hotlap () I like the helmet mount set-up too. I might experiment and try both the helmet and the inside windshield near the visor positions.
Old 07-20-2012, 10:07 PM
meldog21
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I couldn't find any of my video shots but I really like the velcro mount of the Go Pro camera only (without the case) on the dash right in front of the steering wheel. The video will look through the heads up display and you will have speed, rpm, etc displayed in the video.

Dog
Old 07-21-2012, 10:02 AM
kmagvette
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Stick it everywhere with the suction cup mount. My favorites are down low behind the passenger front or rear wheel. Aside from a different perspective than you are used to seeing, you will see how well you are doing getting to the edge of the track...and if you are doing so consistently in each turn. Also, you will see how much the sidewall moves on the wheel...Images may be disturbing to some viewers.

Inside the car, behind the driver is also instructive; they sell an adpapter for a standard tripod mount. The wide angle lens lets you see what the driver is doing, where your hands are, etc.
Old 07-21-2012, 10:50 AM
NOSLO6
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use this same setup with good results.

Get notified of new replies

To Tips for mounting GoPro Hero2 Motorsports Camera?

Old 07-23-2012, 03:30 PM
Captain Buddha
Drifting

I ended up using the suction cup mount to the right of the rear-view mirror. It worked GREAT, that camera/set up rocks!!
Old 07-23-2012, 06:05 PM
Fly'n Family
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Question. Just bought a microphone and the cable to run through the car and down towards the exhaust so I (hopefully) pick that up instead of the lousy audio quality of the unit (GP2) itself.

Problem is, if in the plastic case - there's no hole to stick the jack through into the camera - and without the plastic case, there seems to be no way to mount the dang camera w/out the platic case.

Suggestions are highly welcomed.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:55 PM
PaConehead
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Fly'n Family
Question. Just bought a microphone and the cable to run through the car and down towards the exhaust so I (hopefully) pick that up instead of the lousy audio quality of the unit (GP2) itself.

Problem is, if in the plastic case - there's no hole to stick the jack through into the camera - and without the plastic case, there seems to be no way to mount the dang camera w/out the platic case.

Suggestions are highly welcomed.

The GoPro site shows a case w/side holes that would allow cables.
check: http://gopro.com/camera-accessories/hd-skeleton-housing/

It looks like it will allow the charging cable also

Quick Reply: Tips for mounting GoPro Hero2 Motorsports Camera?