Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Mod for HPDE? Stock C5

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 02:21 PM
Zak77
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Mod for HPDE? Stock C5

My wife bought me a HDPE session for my birthday and I'm currently looking which session to take. Thinking about going with the PCA at Summit Point in August. 2 day session. Cannot wait.

I picked on my 99 C5 in late early June. It's pretty much bone stock except for knock off C5Z rims and a Corsa Extreme exhaust/xpipe. 6speed. 96K miles with I believe the original magnetic/selective shocks.

I have a little bit of funds for a mod, About $250-300. I'm debating on new shocks or new brake pads and some good brake bleeding tools, new sway bars. Or ??

If I go the shocks route, I'm leaning towards the Z06 ones to keep it well balanced for road/track. This is my 3rd car but I drive it a lot. A lot more than I thought I would as I love being in it. Don't want something to bone rattling on the road. Also, if I put Z06 shocks will this take me out of A Stock for Autocross? I know technically the Z06 rims should take me out of A Stock but my local SCCA does not mind. Plus my times are not that great anyway. At least I can watch Tony Savini and try to learn a bit from him.

For the HDPE I will most likely swap out the pads anyway or at least bring a few extra sets with me as I've read that you can go through a set of the road/stock pads in a day at the track. This will be my first session. I've done 3 autocrosses with my C5 and love it but want to eventually do autocross, time trials, maybe hill climbs since there seems to be a number of events in PA.
Old 07-22-2012, 03:18 PM
rbl
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Do NOTHING (mods) until you have done 6 or more events (not sessions).

Use the money for beer if your pocket is on fire. Or, take the wife out for the night and say thanks! (you will get to go again ... )
Old 07-22-2012, 03:26 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by rbl

Use the money for beer if your pocket is on fire. Or, take the wife out for the night and say thanks! (you will get to go again ... )
IMHO, Rex is right. Learn the nuances of the car first, then go for improvements.
Old 07-22-2012, 03:51 PM
jcsperson
Team Owner

Received 745 Likes on 429 Posts
NC Events Coordinator

Change all your fluids. Consider brake pads and rotors if they have some mileage on them.
Old 07-22-2012, 04:13 PM
WSIRFan
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buy a book - Speed Secrets by Ross Bentley.
Until you can make it go like one of the instructors, a book, some beer and a happy spouse are your best performance mods.
Old 07-22-2012, 04:20 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by jcsperson
Change all your fluids. Consider brake pads and rotors if they have some mileage on them.
Definitely an oil change if it's time, check the coolant, trans fluid, and diff fluid. I would also flush the brake fluid and refill with a good grade of DOT3 fluid like Castrol LMA. Fresh pads would be a good idea; for starting out with your first event, use Z06 pads. You will more than likely be in a novice group so you won't be going as fast as the more advanced drivers.

Another thing to do is to have a tech inspection done on the car. Does the event provide a tech inspection sheet to show the car is ready prior to the event? If nothing else, check the lug nut torque, make sure the seat belts are in good shape and retract properly.

You will need to have everything out of the car, so no cell phone, GPS, floormats, or anything loose. Set the tire pressures at the factory values to start.

Given you mentioned autocross the assumption is that you have your own helmet. Most track day guys prefer a full face helmet. HPDE events usually require you run with the door windows down and a full-face helmet keeps stuff from hitting you in the face.

Being your first HPDE, you will most likely have an instructor; if you don't, ask for one.
Old 07-22-2012, 04:36 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rbl
Originally Posted by Falcon
IMHO, Rex is right. Learn the nuances of the car first, then go for improvements.

The only thing I would worry about aside from fresh fluids is to make sure the car has a proper alignment.

Save you money and put it towards spare front brake pads which you will need.

Mike
Old 07-22-2012, 04:38 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Since you purchased the car used, you don't know when the last maintenance was performed. Basically you need to make sure that all fluids and maintenance items are up to date. Mod nothing until you are sure that you want to keep doing the track thing. Most do, some do not.
1) Change transmission and differential fluid
2) Change oil / filter and add 1/2 quart above full line
3) Change brake fluid using a good high temp fluid like ATE Blue or Motul
4) Check status of clutch fluid - replace if necessary.
5) Check status of brake pads if more than 1/2 you will make a first weekend fine. If not get a new set of Z06 pads from forum vendor.
6) Check status of rotors - doubtful you will need to replace unless car is high mileage.
7) Check tire pressures
8) Clean ALL junk out of car
9) Take an asprin because your face will hurt from smiling so much. Have fun - be safe - listen to your instructor !
Old 07-22-2012, 04:47 PM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

Do not spend a single dollar to modify your car. Save your money for entry fees and motel rooms near the track. Seat time. Seat time Seat time.

Richard Newton
Old 07-22-2012, 05:52 PM
Zak77
Racer

Ok, so I'll be putting the money towards seat time. Love it.

I do have a helmet, a full face Bell that meets the regulations.

I changed the engine oil about 200-300 miles ago with Mobile 1 and a Napa Gold oil filter. Amazing how much harder it is to change the oil on this than pretty much any other vehicle I've had!

I have a HUGE book of receipts and forget when the brakes were replaced but I know I saw it in there. But I'll check to see how much GM parts.com wants for the Z06 pads as they are only a short drive from my house. I already picked up the oil pressure sending unit as mine is blown.

I'll put on my list to change the trans/diff fluid and some brake pads. Luckily I travel a lot for work and have a number of free hotel nights and can usually find a hotel near the tracks that I can stay free.

What has been interesting about the autocrossing is that the first event there was a huge difference between my first and last run. Second event, a fair difference and my latest event only about a second and a half. Hardest part for me is throttle control and when to brake as I tend to go from understeer to oversteer quite rapidly in the small, tight turns. But just doing these small events has me hooked and I cannot wait to get out for the HPDE events. Love that I can drive to client meetings, get 32 mpg on the highway and then take it to the track on weekends. What a great vehicle.
Old 07-22-2012, 11:07 PM
jcsperson
Team Owner

Received 745 Likes on 429 Posts
NC Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by Zak77
I already picked up the oil pressure sending unit as mine is blown.
You might also want to consider relocating the sending unit.

Awesome how-to thread on replacement:

DIY - Junkman's Engine Oil Pressure Sensor Replacement/Relocation for Dummies!
Old 07-24-2012, 09:42 PM
UstaB-GS549
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

I would concentrate on track time... but

1.5 or more negative camber in front will save the outside edges of your tires.

Fresh brake fluid.

Have fun.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:59 PM
Zak77
Racer

Looking through the receipts the front brakes pads were changed at 67K miles and its now sitting with 96K miles. They don't look to bad but I'd like to put new pads on. Are the Z06's a decent cross between track/street use? At this point I don't have the funds for just track only use and would like to keep it as a dual as possible.

Picked up coolant today and a few tools to do the oil pressure sensor repair/replacement. Going to follow Junkman's write up as I had it saved as a favorite but thanks for reminding me of it jcsperson.

Stopped by a friends house today and sat in his Lemons car. What a great little beater. He's thinking about building another Lemons car and I'm hoping to be part of that team.
Old 07-25-2012, 05:49 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Depends how hard you will punish it first time out. Fluid swap then pads.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:21 AM
Larry Myers
Burning Brakes

Received 82 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Short-Throw

The only thing I would worry about aside from fresh fluids is to make sure the car has a proper alignment.

Save you money and put it towards spare front brake pads which you will need.

Mike
Listen to Mike. He has been doing this a long time and surely knows wherefor he speaks.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:22 AM
JeremyGSU
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

I concur with others on changing all fluids and it's a great idea to bring extra pads/rotors.

While the typical student will be fine on half worn pads my last student on only his 2nd track day ever and first with a C5 Z06 at Sebring had his pads worn down to nothing by the afternoon. He didn't have anything spare and had to go into town to get it.

Have fun, listen to your instructor. You'll be hooked.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:37 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Definitely do the clutch fluid as that slowed me down in my second track day. If you don't have a remote clutch bleeder, you may have to do the Ranger method a few times. Also, you need to check what kind of pads you have. If they are ceramic like my street pads, they will only be good for 2-3 good stops and they will be completely toast. If they are others then a fluid flush wouldn't hurt. ATE is probably the best value for the performance as it is ~$20 per litre whereas everything else is about the same or more for 1/2 litre. Enjoy!

PS I would definitely take the wife out to thank her for the great gift. 2 years from now when you skip the vacation for pay for coilovers and sways, she might not be as gracious - this is an addiction.

Get notified of new replies

To First Mod for HPDE? Stock C5

Old 07-26-2012, 07:59 PM
Zak77
Racer

I'll just let me wife go buy some more shrubs, trees, flowers as landscaping/planting is her passion. Though I usually have to dig the big/deep holes.

Started the process of replacing the oil pressure sending unit. What a royal pain!!!! I followed Junkman's write up and took about 3 hours to get the intake off. Granted it took me a little bit to jack up the car as my regular floor jack does not fit so had to drive it up on ramps, then jack it up. Drained the coolant, and followed his steps. Got the manifold off, cleaned up the intake a bit. Top of the engine was filthy! Looks like a catch can is in my future. I also put in a new PCV. Started putting the manifold back on and stopped for the night as we lost power for about 30 minutes. Though while I was taking parts off I broke the EVAP Purge Solenoid valve. NAPA will have it for me tomorrow. Also getting the fuel line disconnected was MUCH harder than I thought it would be. Wow, what a pain. That alone probably took me 30 minutes.

Hopefully everything will be smooth sailing putting it back together tomorrow. I have an autocross Sunday and need it running.

I also officially signed up for the Summit Point HDPE with the local Porsche club. Cannot wait.

As far as pads, Tony Savini is recommending Hawk HPS as a good cross between street/track, others have said Z06 pads. I don't want something that will eat up my rotors and be terrible on the street but want something better than stock as I'd hate to not make it through both days.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:26 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Zak77
My wife bought me a HDPE session for my birthday and I'm currently looking which session to take. Thinking about going with the PCA at Summit Point in August. 2 day session. Cannot wait.

I picked on my 99 C5 in late early June. It's pretty much bone stock except for knock off C5Z rims and a Corsa Extreme exhaust/xpipe. 6speed. 96K miles with I believe the original magnetic/selective shocks.

I have a little bit of funds for a mod, About $250-300. I'm debating on new shocks or new brake pads and some good brake bleeding tools, new sway bars. Or ??

If I go the shocks route, I'm leaning towards the Z06 ones to keep it well balanced for road/track. This is my 3rd car but I drive it a lot. A lot more than I thought I would as I love being in it. Don't want something to bone rattling on the road. Also, if I put Z06 shocks will this take me out of A Stock for Autocross? I know technically the Z06 rims should take me out of A Stock but my local SCCA does not mind. Plus my times are not that great anyway. At least I can watch Tony Savini and try to learn a bit from him.

For the HDPE I will most likely swap out the pads anyway or at least bring a few extra sets with me as I've read that you can go through a set of the road/stock pads in a day at the track. This will be my first session. I've done 3 autocrosses with my C5 and love it but want to eventually do autocross, time trials, maybe hill climbs since there seems to be a number of events in PA.
I agree with the others, do all the fluids (I like Redline) don't buy cheap fluids - there is a difference - and you may push harder than you think. I would do the main hoses also unless you know they have been changed, 100k is a lot of miles on a hose. Bring a serp belt.

C5z shocks are a good cheap choice & you stay in stock class, actually you can put 4K worth of Penske's and stay in stock class, shocks are FREE.

I would try and figure out what brake pads are on the car, if they are cheap pep boy/kragen you will cook them in 3 or 4 laps. If you are not sure, bring some better pads with you & tools so you can replace them & not spoil your day. Tracking puts quite a strain on the car, more than autox in some areas, not as much in other areas.

Have fun & take as much instruction as you can.

Last edited by froggy47; 07-26-2012 at 08:32 PM.
Old 07-27-2012, 05:26 PM
Zak77
Racer

And it's done. My oil pressure gauge works!

A HUGE thank you to Junkman08 as his write up was spot on. Just wish some hoses were a bit easier to put back on. That TINY vacuum hose on the back of the manifold took me a while to hook back up as my hands were really to large to get in the so I asked my wife to. She got it hooked up in a few seconds.

C5 is running well and it's nice to actually see the oil pressure gauge work. Autocross this Sunday to make sure she holds together. Next week I'll replace the rear diff fluid, brake fluid and trans fluid.

On the diff, do I need to add special limited slip liquid or will Royal Purple, Mobile 1 etc be enough?

Also, I've read a million posts about synthetic ATF for the trans and having a pre 2000. Should I use Dino oil or can I use synthetic? Was hoping to put Mobile 1 in there.

Quick Reply: First Mod for HPDE? Stock C5