Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harmonic Balancer Replace - What Else?

Old 07-23-2012, 04:49 PM
FuriousDonuts
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Harmonic Balancer Replace - What Else?

So last weekend my harmonic balancer/damper bolt came loose at the track. Luckily I was able to pull off before any major damage was done . From what I understand, I'll need to remove the steering rack and radiator to install replacement parts.

Here's my question- what track-specific stuff would you do while the rack / radiator / ABS are out? My 2003 Z06 is 99.8% stock (just bought 3 weeks ago), but I'm planning on building it into a dedicated track machine. Current thoughts are DeWitts/Ron Davis radiator, a/c delete, and replace timing chain gasket... what else would you do if you were in my position?

Posting here instead of C5 Tech because I'm interested in your experience on the track, but mods - please move/delete if I'm in the wrong.
Old 07-23-2012, 05:51 PM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

Radiator doesn't need to come out. Rack actually doesn't have to come all the way out either. You can move it up and forward to get enough room to get the damper off. Also, you don't need to open any brake fittings. Remove the bracket holding the distribution block in place and hold it there with zip ties. You don't want to bleed the whole system if you don't have to.

That said, if you're going to make it a dedicated track car you could to do a big radiator, oil cooler, and TurnOne power steering pump while you're in there. You could also change the oil pump to a ported one, upgrade the timing chain, change the cam... Options are limitless.

How much do you want to spend?''

Also, since you have an '03 you might want to look into changing the valve springs (if your car falls into the "Danger Zone" of bad springs).
Old 07-24-2012, 12:22 AM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

I would replace the front engine cover seal & upper oil pan seal (gaskets) only because mine leaked @45k mles.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:36 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

If you are pulling the front of the motor and changing valve springs, I would go ahead and upgrade cam while it is all apart or at least do the 2 piece timing chain cover so you can upgrade later ( and you will). If you got the steering rack loose, might as well do the upgraded DRM bushing for rack. All the other stuff just do on an as needed basis except ac delete as water pump will already be off. Good luck with it.
Old 07-24-2012, 12:58 PM
Gordy M
Melting Slicks

Received 315 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by waddisme
If you are pulling the front of the motor and changing valve springs, I would go ahead and upgrade cam while it is all apart or at least do the 2 piece timing chain cover so you can upgrade later ( and you will). If you got the steering rack loose, might as well do the upgraded DRM bushing for rack. All the other stuff just do on an as needed basis except ac delete as water pump will already be off. Good luck with it.
While you are at it go to a different balancer and pin it.
Old 07-24-2012, 01:37 PM
z06801
Melting Slicks

Received 296 Likes on 201 Posts

it never ends are you coming out this weekend should be fun, Lap Battle, big car show, NASA race, and RaceCo is having food and drinks for everybody after and a Movie on the jumbo tron by the club house.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:12 AM
FuriousDonuts
Instructor

Man, I can't tell you how bummed I am that I won't be able to take the Z to the track this weekend. It's about 2 1/2 hours there and back, but I may show up just to be a part of the fun! I hear they're showing Death Race 2000
Old 07-25-2012, 12:29 AM
FuriousDonuts
Instructor

Originally Posted by Scooter70
Radiator doesn't need to come out. Rack actually doesn't have to come all the way out either. You can move it up and forward to get enough room to get the damper off. Also, you don't need to open any brake fittings. Remove the bracket holding the distribution block in place and hold it there with zip ties. You don't want to bleed the whole system if you don't have to.

That said, if you're going to make it a dedicated track car you could to do a big radiator, oil cooler, and TurnOne power steering pump while you're in there. You could also change the oil pump to a ported one, upgrade the timing chain, change the cam... Options are limitless.

How much do you want to spend?''

Also, since you have an '03 you might want to look into changing the valve springs (if your car falls into the "Danger Zone" of bad springs).
Thanks for the reply! Radiator & oil cooler are going in for sure. Thinking about dropping in an accusump, so the ported oil pump makes a lot of sense.

As far as how much to spend... well, trying to keep the *overall* cost to a minimum by taking advantage of the labor for the pulley, even if that means spending more now . Based on your reply though, it may not be as bad as I first thought!

Originally Posted by froggy47
I would replace the front engine cover seal & upper oil pan seal (gaskets) only because mine leaked @45k mles.
Good stuff - will make sure to check on this.

Originally Posted by waddisme
If you got the steering rack loose, might as well do the upgraded DRM bushing for rack. All the other stuff just do on an as needed basis except ac delete as water pump will already be off. Good luck with it.
Anyone else run the DRM bushings and have feedback? I did a quick search but haven't seen any reviews.

Originally Posted by Gordy M
While you are at it go to a different balancer and pin it.
Definitely adding this as well... don't ever want to hear the bolt spinning against the rack again
Old 07-25-2012, 01:07 AM
kmagvette
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

ATI Superdamper.

Once the balancer is off, and especially if you have removed the radiator, you might as well throw in a mild cam. Crazy cams on the track will lead only lead to more trouble.

Either way, upgrade the timing chain. I like the Katech, but there are other good chains out there.

If it is going to be a dedicated track car, then stay away from oil integrated radiators...you will be selling it. Ron Davis is in my car (from Rippie)

You may also want to put the big a$$ Setrab dedicated oil cooler (Rippie, again) sells. Love mine...on the occasional street run I put saran wrap on it or else no heat gets into the oil.

Turn one rack rebuild/upgrade, and pump while you are in there. Promise the guys at Turn One that you will never let your wife/girl friend drive the car to go get ice cream and they will sell you a low volume pump and remove/adjust a valve in the rack (forget what it is called) that will transmit more of the road to your fingertips. The low volume pump will aid in cooling the PS fluid. You only notice the low volume pump if you yank on the wheel at very low RPM.

I have the Rippie Rack insert. No idea if it really did anything but it sure is easy to install/remove when you need to pull the rack again.

Valve springs are also a good move...Comp Cams 918, again, there are other good choices as well.

Now, about that suspension
Old 07-25-2012, 10:26 AM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

to add:

- fancy Katech chain or LS2
- ported/blueprinted Melling 10296 oil pump (careful with the o-ring)
- ATI balancer, pinned
- chain damper (http://www.ebay.com/itm/LS1-timing-c...5&cmd=ViewItem)
- loctite red on the cam sprocket bolts
Old 08-20-2012, 12:07 AM
FuriousDonuts
Instructor

Thanks for the help everyone. Here's what I ended up going with:

- ATI Superdamper (10% underdrive)
- Katech C5-R Timing Chain
- Factory Oil Pump
- TurnOne Power Steering Pump
- Katech Tensioner

Since I already bought the parts, we also put in:

- DRM Oil Cooler
- Dewitts Radiator
- Elite Engineering PCV Catch Can

All in all it was a big job. I could have gone cheaper with less, but I figure the other parts are inevitable since it's dedicated for the track. Really happy with the results. For anyone curious about the cooler & rad, I went from 305 oil temps to ~260, engine never broke 235. It was a hot day (100+ in Utah's high altitude) so I'm really impressed.

Now I'm getting trans temp warnings... I guess the projects never end
Old 08-20-2012, 08:56 AM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

You are definitly going to need the Transmission cooler kit. I just installed one. Posted a detailed thread about the install on this forum 2 days ago.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:24 AM
z06801
Melting Slicks

Received 296 Likes on 201 Posts

Good to see you out there running this weekend great day Saturday. Throw a trans cooler on there and we'll see you at the next event

Get notified of new replies

To Harmonic Balancer Replace - What Else?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Harmonic Balancer Replace - What Else?