Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turning Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 09:29 PM
Z06TWT
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Turning Rotors

If I track my C5Z on stock rotors and see heat checking, can I pull the rotors,have them turned
($10) and put them back on for my next event. The reason I ask is because rotors almost never fail for being too thin but do fail from cracking. This would remove the surface cracks, in theory giving me the same rotor life as a new rotor for $10. Any thoughts?
Old 07-26-2012, 11:07 PM
CeeFiveZee
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06TWT
If I track my C5Z on stock rotors and see heat checking, can I pull the rotors,have them turned
($10) and put them back on for my next event. The reason I ask is because rotors almost never fail for being too thin but do fail from cracking. This would remove the surface cracks, in theory giving me the same rotor life as a new rotor for $10. Any thoughts?
Turning C5Z rotors is false economy for a track car. All you accomplish is removing metal which will result in another round of heat cracks except this time it will happen sooner because you have less material to dissipate heat.

I've had zero success in removing heat cracks by turning the rotors. You may get the APPEARANCE of removing heat cracks but all you do is remove the surface cracks.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:18 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06TWT
Save your money. Just run them until they crack and replace them with $40 NAPA rotors.

I have a bunch of new ones stacked in my shed if you want them for $20, but a number of them are rusted from sitting around on a shelf. The rust comes right off on the first round of braking. I don't use them any more as in 2011 my race class let us go from stock one piece rotors to the race grade two piece rotors.

The best stock rotors to use are used ones that have been seasoned from street use for some time, if you can find them.

Oli
Old 07-26-2012, 11:46 PM
Joy of 6
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Olitho
Save your money. Just run them until they crack and replace them with $40 NAPA rotors.

Oli
There is no reason to get rid of surface cracks, It doesn't make any difference to the performance. Fortunately the rotors always crack on the outside so you can easily see which one is cracked.
Old 07-27-2012, 04:02 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

I have a bunch of new ones stacked in my shed if you want them for $20, but a number of them are rusted from sitting around on a shelf. The rust comes right off on the first round of braking. I don't use them any more as in 2011 my race class let us go from stock one piece rotors to the race grade two piece rotors.

Oli
I will take 4 fronts or more if you want to make a pkg deal if you are serious about getting rid of them. Most of the used ones are gone. Occasionally you find some C6 ones but not much lately. PM me if serious. Thanks.
Old 07-27-2012, 04:56 PM
RDnomorecobra
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a bunch of new ones stacked in my shed if you want them for $20,

Oli
PM sent .. I'd take a few pairs
Old 07-27-2012, 05:00 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I have some new and used fronts and rears. PM me if you are interested.
Old 07-27-2012, 06:10 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans

round file them.
Old 07-28-2012, 10:58 AM
RDnomorecobra
Drifting

Originally Posted by RX-Ben
I have some new and used fronts and rears. PM me if you are interested.
pm sent
Old 07-28-2012, 11:08 AM
taken19
Track Junky

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Tech Contributor

What about turning them down to get rid of smearing? I melted a set of XP-10's onto a rotor and the pedal vibration got pretty bad with them on the car. Can I turn them to get rid of the pad material and still be ok? Maybe take 0.005-0.010 off each side?
Old 07-28-2012, 01:32 PM
victorf
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

^^^If you must, do the turning on car but certainly not off the car!
Old 07-28-2012, 08:57 PM
taken19
Track Junky

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by victorf
I'm assuming you mean let the brakes naturally eat the old pad material off? I will have to drive aroun town for a few weeks, but it saves the rotors I will do it. Just have to be sure to keep the pads cool enough to ensure it removes material instead of transferring it.

Thanks for the backup!
Old 07-28-2012, 10:52 PM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 121 Posts

I did this with no issues, still had the pad imprint on the rotor but was true.

Did it off the car.

Instructed my buddy who owns a shop to take off the minimum to true the surface.

Be careful with Autozone or the like turning rotors, they will cut the crap out of them.
Old 07-29-2012, 12:48 PM
victorf
Drifting

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
I did this with no issues, still had the pad imprint on the rotor but was true.

Did it off the car.

Instructed my buddy who owns a shop to take off the minimum to true the surface.

Be careful with Autozone or the like turning rotors, they will cut the crap out of them.
Your hub bearing must have been in near new condition and luck out!

It is always a good idea to turn rotor still installed on car, so the turning operation will factor in bearing run out to produce the desired balance.
Old 07-29-2012, 02:31 PM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Your hub bearing must have been in near new condition and luck out!

It is always a good idea to turn rotor still installed on car, so the turning operation will factor in bearing run out to produce the desired balance.
I don't see the need for this, who has this equipment any way?

The calipers float with the rotor. I have driven on track with a wheel bearing that had a small amount of play, pads wore even in spite of this(to the eye any way).

Produce the desired balance of what??

The wheel bearing would have to be trashed to affect anything, besides if you cut a rotor on car with a bad wheel bearing the surfaces will not be true any way.
Old 07-29-2012, 02:36 PM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

This is an interesting read.....

http://www.stoptech.com/technical-su...nd-other-myths
Old 07-30-2012, 01:33 PM
victorf
Drifting

I don't see the need for this, who has this equipment any way?

***A reputable brake shop should have the equipment - it is to each his own when deciding on whether he needs it or not!

The calipers float with the rotor. I have driven on track with a wheel bearing that had a small amount of play, pads wore even in spite of this(to the eye any way).

***Indeed it does float, but certainly within the acceptable tolerance of the whole assembly. Bearing should not be "tight" nor should it have "play", rotation of bearing should be within tolerance. If the bearing run-out becomes excessive, that will cause eccentricity and you will feel it for sure! Visual checks are deceiving, only precision instruments could reliably tell the tale!

Produce the desired balance of what??

***The balance of operating within the tolerance, the fit of bearing and the mating parts as an assembly. One element out of tolerance/balance, the assembly as a whole will suffer.

The wheel bearing would have to be trashed to affect anything, besides if you cut a rotor on car with a bad wheel bearing the surfaces will not be true any way.
***Prior to do any machining, components should be checked. It would not be wise to machine if the bearing in hub is confirmed worn!

****Thank you, that pretty much concerns with warp rotors, pad transfer, bedding in and a few myths.

Get notified of new replies

To Turning Rotors

Quick Reply: Turning Rotors