Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Traction Control System code C1225

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 11:03 PM
Soloontario
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Traction Control System code C1225

Recently I have had an issue on the track with my C5Z triggering this code. If it happens repeatedly I get all the warning signs "Service Traction Control System" and "Service ABS System" and the ABS system stops working. BTW I drive with the nannies off.

Had ABSFIXER look at the EBCM which was actually fine but the code comes up under section 28 of C1225 which is " RF excessive wheel speed variation".

Interesting C1222 is "RF wheel speed sensor is zero" and C1233 is "RF Wheel speed circuit open or shorted". I would have thought that these 2 codes would indicate a burnt wire or connector issue.

Does C1225 mean that the hub itself is gone? Interesting this only occurs after the hub gets hot on the track but so far I am only picking up an issue with the right front. There are no other signs of hub failure which is OE.

The warnings disappear after recycling the ignition but the code may still be present although it eventually goes away as well at least when street driven.

BTW I normally use cooling ducts but for the last event I didn't and it didn't make much difference.
Old 08-02-2012, 07:39 AM
Webz
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Soloontario
Recently I have had an issue on the track with my C5Z triggering this code. If it happens repeatedly I get all the warning signs "Service Traction Control System" and "Service ABS System" and the ABS system stops working. BTW I drive with the nannies off.

Had ABSFIXER look at the EBCM which was actually fine but the code comes up under section 28 of C1225 which is " RF excessive wheel speed variation".

Interesting C1222 is "RF wheel speed sensor is zero" and C1233 is "RF Wheel speed circuit open or shorted". I would have thought that these 2 codes would indicate a burnt wire or connector issue.

Does C1225 mean that the hub itself is gone? Interesting this only occurs after the hub gets hot on the track but so far I am only picking up an issue with the right front. There are no other signs of hub failure which is OE.

The warnings disappear after recycling the ignition but the code may still be present although it eventually goes away as well at least when street driven.

BTW I normally use cooling ducts but for the last event I didn't and it didn't make much difference.
Do you have SS brake lines? If so I had a similar issue when I installed them. Changed to AP brand and issue went away.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:03 AM
Soloontario
Pro

Yes, I have SS lines at all 4 corners. Not sure why this would affect just the right front though.

One other point is that I had to cut the mounting tab for the ABS connectors at the hub to install the cooling ducts. Elsewhere it had been suggested that I needed to zip tie the extra length of wire from the hub very tightly (which I already thought I had done) and after the code showing up the last time, I retied the wires and I didn't throw another code but I was also very gentle with the brakes. I really didn't want the antilock function to suddenly stop while coming into turn 8 at Mosport.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:47 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Check the ABS jumper harness - there is a harness that goes between the chassis harness and the wheel bearing it's a little over 2 feet long. Take the one off of the LF wheel and swap it with the RF wheel, if the code changes to a "LF wheel speed variation" then you know that it's the harness. It's easy to do and "free" more or less. I've replaced at least 5 of these over the years on various customer cars.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:54 AM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

+1 for that suggestion. This is most likely a connector/harness issue. If the inboard harness swap doesn't fix it, there may be a problem with the wiring coming out of the hub that you may or may not be able to see.
Old 08-02-2012, 04:06 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Does this occur when you are on a bumpy surface or any type of surface? Pre -01 C5s had an issue with this type of code on bumpy surfaces. I know one well known racer who installed a toggle switch on his dash just so he could toggle the EBCM power off and on to reset it so he could maintain the ABS. It almost always occurred on a bumpy section of road/track.

Bill
Old 08-03-2012, 01:06 PM
Soloontario
Pro

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Does this occur when you are on a bumpy surface or any type of surface? Pre -01 C5s had an issue with this type of code on bumpy surfaces. I know one well known racer who installed a toggle switch on his dash just so he could toggle the EBCM power off and on to reset it so he could maintain the ABS. It almost always occurred on a bumpy section of road/track.

Bill
Bill, I wouldn't have said the surface was particularly bumpy.

My real question is, does code C1225 likely indicate a hub sensor issue vs the C1222 or C1233 codes which seem to indicate an electrical disconnect? I will try the flipping the harness or potentially just buying a new one for the R side but if the problem is stricly wiring, wouldn't that trigger one of the other codes or all of them?

Interestingly it normally takes a few laps for the codes to return after being reset but the hub is obviously a lot hotter.
Old 08-03-2012, 03:58 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

IME, 1225 means that the wire/connector is on its way to completely failing.

Get notified of new replies

To Traction Control System code C1225

Quick Reply: Traction Control System code C1225