Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Go Pro Camera mount with Harness bar

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 02:54 PM
Sebring27
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Go Pro Camera mount with Harness bar

Hi,
I am looking for a recommendation for a camera mount to mount a Go Pro camera to my BK harness bar in My C5 Z06.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.
Thanks !
Old 08-08-2012, 05:13 PM
GO_BLUE_VETTES
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

I have an I/O Port camera mount on the harness bar. Used it to connect my old Sony camcorder with the standard 1/4-20 threaded connection.

I bought the 1/4-20 connection piece for the GoPro when I upgraded. The GoPro has a much different field of view compared to the camcorder. The result of mounting on the harness bar was video that was ~75% interior of the car, ~25% view out the front

Solution: Don't mount it to the harness bar. Mount it to the inside of the windshield, outside of the car, or use the suction mount and mount it eye level with the helmet!
Old 08-08-2012, 05:42 PM
Sebring27
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GO_BLUE_VETTES
I have an I/O Port camera mount on the harness bar. Used it to connect my old Sony camcorder with the standard 1/4-20 threaded connection.

I bought the 1/4-20 connection piece for the GoPro when I upgraded. The GoPro has a much different field of view compared to the camcorder. The result of mounting on the harness bar was video that was ~75% interior of the car, ~25% view out the front

Solution: Don't mount it to the harness bar. Mount it to the inside of the windshield, outside of the car, or use the suction mount and mount it eye level with the helmet!
Many thanks ! appreciated !
Old 08-08-2012, 07:24 PM
PaConehead
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

S

Just wondering - what settings were you using? I have used my GoPro HD2 at two events, both mounted on the inside of the windshield using the suction cup mount w/ the camera in the upside down mode.

But I also have adapted my I/O mount (on a BK harness bar) with a GoPro mount in hopes of having a alternate location to capture a different angle and to see my hands as well as track.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:33 PM
GO_BLUE_VETTES
Racer

Originally Posted by PaConehead
Just wondering - what settings were you using? I have used my GoPro HD2 at two events, both mounted on the inside of the windshield using the suction cup mount w/ the camera in the upside down mode.

But I also have adapted my I/O mount (on a BK harness bar) with a GoPro mount in hopes of having a alternate location to capture a different angle and to see my hands as well as track.
Here is an example. GoPro HD, 720p 30 fps. Suction cup to helmet, camera upside down at eye level.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g64ZK...e_gdata_player
Old 08-09-2012, 08:40 AM
MR Turco
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

they also make a roll bar mount for the go pro. Only $30
Old 08-09-2012, 09:29 AM
grayline
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I gotta say guys I've been doing the gopro for 3 years now all three versions and in the gopro world and forums the suction cup mount is by far the worst mount they make ... they even tell you not to affix to a outside of a vehicle while traveling.
If you look up gopro fail on YouTube you'll see many. People who lost or busted their camera due to the suction cup mount
Old 08-09-2012, 09:49 AM
GO_BLUE_VETTES
Racer

I agree, I would only use the 3M adhesive mounts in the mortorsports package for exterior car mounting....
Old 08-09-2012, 12:57 PM
stevensa
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by MR Turco
they also make a roll bar mount for the go pro. Only $30

Thats what I use, perfect size for the BK Bar.
Old 08-09-2012, 02:15 PM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
St Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by stevensa
Thats what I use, perfect size for the BK Bar.
I use it as well on my Sharkbar. I set my GoPro HD to the wide mode (1080p) with center point metering instead of average so it adjusts to the light in the windshield instead of the interior. You do get a lot of interior but the view out the windshield is very good as well. Amazon discounts it a few bucks.
Old 08-09-2012, 02:28 PM
MR Turco
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TheKomoman
I use it as well on my Sharkbar. I set my GoPro HD to the wide mode (1080p) with center point metering instead of average so it adjusts to the light in the windshield instead of the interior. You do get a lot of interior but the view out the windshield is very good as well. Amazon discounts it a few bucks.
I didn't even know it had this feature. My last HPDE there was SO much window glare. I need to set this up!
Old 08-09-2012, 05:34 PM
r.hillenbrand
******RETIRED ARMY******
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

I use the GOPRO Bar Mount on BK Bar and added an external mic (Hero 2 HD). I put it in the video mode 720/60 with center point on....I also have the bluetooth wireless remote so I only get the track time and not waiting on grid and cool down. For the mic I drew a circle where the mic port was and sat patiently and slowly drilling "SLOW" from small to bigger until the mic jack fit into the hole and connected into the camera. I also have a wind sock on the end of the mic.

Had to go to Radio Shack for the mic and sock, best buy didn't have any.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:12 PM
PaConehead
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by grayline
I gotta say guys I've been doing the gopro for 3 years now all three versions and in the gopro world and forums the suction cup mount is by far the worst mount they make ... they even tell you not to affix to a outside of a vehicle while traveling.
If you look up gopro fail on YouTube you'll see many. People who lost or busted their camera due to the suction cup mount
I think we all agree - we're not talking about exterior mounting here. Although you do see a lot of guys running with the suction mount on roof/fender/lower panel - I don't even like to be behind them on the track.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:23 PM
PaConehead
Burning Brakes

Here is an example. GoPro HD, 720p 30 fps. Suction cup to helmet, camera upside down at eye level.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g64ZK...e_gdata_player
Thanks - that's the setting I've been using filming from the winshield, I'll try it from I/O mount on the harness bar next time out - or maybe I'll just stick it on the helmet

Get notified of new replies

To Go Pro Camera mount with Harness bar

Quick Reply: Go Pro Camera mount with Harness bar