Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Watkins Glen - AH/TC on or off?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 11:02 PM
Highpower500
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Watkins Glen - AH/TC on or off?

I'll be attending the Trackmaster classes at the end of August at Watkins Glen. This is my first event, so I'll be enrolled in the novice class. I assume that I should leave my AH/TC on the whole time, correct?
Old 08-12-2012, 11:40 PM
GettReal
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I would suggest as its your first time that you keep all the nannies ON

Its an amazing track to drive but simple mistakes aren't always forgiving there.

If you find that your traction control is coming on a lot but you are confident in your driving, you might want to consider competitive mode.
Old 08-12-2012, 11:50 PM
PaConehead
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

My guess is your instructor will advise you to start w/the nannies engaged, learn the track and basics. Feel how and when they are are kicking in and as you learn and improve the instructor will know if you are ready to turn anything off. Listen and learn. Enjoy!!!!!
Old 08-13-2012, 12:29 AM
moespeeds
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

AH/TC gave me fits the first time on track. 3rd session out a wheel speed sensor failed and suddenly I smoothed right out. The difference in my driving was night and day. Guys will scare you into using it, but don't be afraid to turn it off. Nothing wrong with spinning those wheels as long as you keep it on the track.
Old 08-13-2012, 06:50 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

I started with everything on and street tires. After a few track days I turned off TC but left AH on. One day at the Glen I realized AH was being too intrusive and turned it off. Took a few easy sessions to make sure that I was ok and ever since i have not run AH/TC.

I suggest leaving them on to start and as you get a better understanding of your car and your abilities then turn them off.

Old 08-13-2012, 07:26 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

ON for your First 10 events or so. that is 10 two day events.
Old 08-13-2012, 05:25 PM
Highpower500
Burning Brakes

OK, thanks
Old 08-13-2012, 06:28 PM
Timz06
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't think it will make a difference for your first event unless you are better than most. That said, I think the traction control is utterly worthless so I would start with comp mode.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:16 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One way to look at it, is if the AH come on, then you as a driver have further improvement to smoothing out your driving. I got to the point, where I left on the AH (competitive mode) and almost never felt it come on. By keeping it on, I knew where I was too jerky or making mistakes and I each lap I would try to improve and eventually the AH would stop be intrusive the smoother and faster I got. Matter of fact I won several TT's and set some club records with the AH on. Could I have been faster with it off, maybe, but for me, the extra tenth, even in a time trial, was never worth the price of smashing the car. But that is me, Murphy has a special place in his heart for me, and I know the one session I turn that thing off...BAM.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:10 AM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Bring spare rear brake pads if you run with it on.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:21 AM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
ON for your First 10 events or so. that is 10 two day events.

Jim
Old 08-14-2012, 11:22 AM
Screamin Z
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by RX-Ben
Bring spare rear brake pads if you run with it on.
Bring 2 sets of all pads! WGI is brutal on pads
Old 08-14-2012, 12:29 PM
Bad Karma
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 95jersey
Murphy has a special place in his heart for me, and I know the one session I turn that thing off...BAM.
You and me both! I hate traction control. But I figure the AH gives me an extra bit of safety and I like your using it as a teaching tool.
Old 08-14-2012, 01:59 PM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Street tires, turn off the nannies.

We've been learning to drive without them for 50 years, you don't need them now. I'm not saying that as some macho race car driver BS, either. Learn your equipment, not your electronics.

ABS? hell yes. TCS / ESC? Come on. That's for snow, rain, and your grandmother. Don't be afraid of your car because it has 400 hp, learn to drive it smoothly. Otherwise you learn to be FAST with a safety blanket, then you turn it off and have no idea what to do when the car doesn't save your butt. That crash will be much worse than the little spin you have while learning to drive at a more reasonable speed.

Yeah, modern cars have a lot more power than most did 10 or 20 years ago, but they also have way better brakes and suspension to manage that power. It's not easy to get a modern Corvette out of sorts unless you turn the steering wheel hard and stomp on the gas.
Old 08-14-2012, 02:18 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Received 1,073 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by ScaryFast
It's not easy to get a modern Corvette out of sorts unless you turn the steering wheel hard and stomp on the gas.

So true. I only do that when I win a morning DE session!! I wait til I am outside the garages so everyone can see real good!!
Old 08-14-2012, 03:38 PM
kmagvette
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Be sure to find me, I will be there. If you are unfortunate enough to be my student I will suggest that you leave everything on at first, but ultimately it is your choice. Since this is your first time at Watkins Glen (or on any track), I suspect that you will get more out of the school with an instructor in the car, even if you are a very good driver.

Your instructor will know if you are getting into TC/AH too much and should suggest that you turn it off...again, this would be your choice. There are several very good vette driving instructors at Trackmasters; hopefully you will get one of them.

Watkins Glen is a track that rewards smoothness, but you can still be very smooth and exceed the car's comfort levels with respect to yaw; there is even a code that the car will throw for excessive yaw...if you get that without anything that resembles a spin or save, it is a code to be proud of
Old 08-14-2012, 05:05 PM
JimbeauZ06
Burning Brakes

Obviously we're all over the board here. Nothing like consistency.

If your instructor is any good he should be able to control your driving from the right seat and keep you out of trouble, particularly at the speeds you should be driving during your first event.

Like Tom's comments above for NCM, PCA also recommends leaving AH on in cars that have it, but many of us disagree as it can mask poor driving and give a false sense of skill, kind of like R-comp tires.

As an instructor, I leave the ultimate decision up to the owner of the car, but if asked I recommend turning it off so you can learn to feel the limits of the car through the seat. I personally believe it's better to learn to react to the rear-end stepping out when you're new and going relatively slower, than waiting for 10 events to turn it off and try to deal with your first spin at 7/10ths instead of 4/10ths, but that is just my opinion.

The exception, and particularly at Watkins Glen, is if there is moisture on the track. In that case for an inexperienced driver I would recommend leaving it on unless you're at a track with tons of run-off room and no "blue hedges".

You've picked an awesome track for your first event. My personal favorite. Have a great time!
Jim

Get notified of new replies

To Watkins Glen - AH/TC on or off?

Old 08-14-2012, 05:34 PM
Highpower500
Burning Brakes

Thanks guys. Since I have absolutely no HP driving experience at all (except for driving a rented BMW on the Autobahn in Germany last year), I'll more than likely leave that decision up to my instructor. Whoever gets me will have a clean slate to work with. I'll be all ears.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:22 PM
05C6GAC
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Screamin Z
Bring 2 sets of all pads! WGI is brutal on pads
True, I drove back to Georgia, with little for brake pads, good thing it's almost all interstate.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:49 PM
moespeeds
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Try a session with it on, then a session with it off. At least it will give you the contrast to make an educated decision. Listen to your instructor, but don't be afraid to push your personal comfort level, it's what this sport is all about.

Quick Reply: Watkins Glen - AH/TC on or off?