Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stupid Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 12:08 PM
2K6Z06
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stupid Question

I will be at my 1st HPDE event this weekend.

What are you all using for the numbers for the door? The welcome package says is required and I hadn't put any thought into it...

Blue painters tape? Ideas and thoughts appreciated...
Old 08-16-2012, 12:35 PM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 223 Posts

painters tape
Old 08-16-2012, 12:44 PM
Bad Karma
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I bought reusable vinyl numbers. But you should probably make sure you are going to do more than one before you invest in numbers.
Old 08-16-2012, 01:05 PM
PaConehead
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Use PC and print numbers to size and use that as template to cut them from adhesive shelf paper (contrasting color) . . . or talk to your local sign shop about removable/reuseable numbers . . . or reach out to David farmer on this forum.
Old 08-16-2012, 01:08 PM
JimbeauZ06
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ErnieN85
painters tape

Choose number you can do straight pieces. 1,11, 111, etc.
Old 08-16-2012, 03:16 PM
2K6Z06
Racer

Originally Posted by Bad Karma
I bought reusable vinyl numbers. But you should probably make sure you are going to do more than one before you invest in numbers.

I bought the car to track- 1st of many days ahead...Great recomendation! I ordered from a local shop and they will be ready today!

Thanks evertone for the great ideas....
Old 08-16-2012, 06:01 PM
Snuckley
Racer

When I was trackin, I was the shelf paper king. The nasty Sheet our Mom's used in the 60's. Check your bigbox store. Utility knife and exacto knife a big piece of cardboard and you are the sign king. They made a faux marble color , Black with gray marbeling , I'd make pieces for behind the tires and down the door sills, then add black racers tape to the leading edge (150mph tape) and it would last two days. Arrive home rip it off and alot less tire goo removal. Tarminater or WD40 are great for goo removal.
I made #'s out of yellow racers tape, they don't have to be SCCA perfect. Goofy numbers and such give you character.
Racer's tape over the fog lamp may save a lens.
Best mod of my 10 yrs of roadcourse events was a 5 day open wheel race school. and search this forum for 100 hrs and read about HPDE/roadracing. Have fun.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:05 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

You probably don't have enough time to contact Solo Performance. They sell reusable vinyl numbers. I buy a set collection and tell the organizations that want you to provide numbers what numbers I have. Most of the groups I run with provide the numbers as they want them in a certain style, etc.

Bill
Old 08-16-2012, 08:16 PM
2 GTOs
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '11-'12

Wait, did you guys say painters tape?

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...inks-so-5.html

I loved that thread

I agree with the advice from PA Conhead. I also bought a dozen numbers from an eBay seller. I just put them on when I get to the track and pull them off when I leave. I use 6 inch numbers and paid like $1 each.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:56 PM
FKING1
Safety Car

Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts

Shelf Paper for my 70 ( never take them off) and Solo static cling for the C5.
Old 08-16-2012, 09:17 PM
gmccreary
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Use Scotch No Residue duct tape. Sticks well and comes off clean. Your numbers need to be visible to corner workers and track officials. There are no trophies awarded for the best numbers.
Old 08-16-2012, 09:43 PM
jcsperson
Team Owner

Received 745 Likes on 429 Posts
NC Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by gmccreary
There are no trophies awarded for the best numbers.
That's a shame. It'd be the only kind I might win.
Old 08-16-2012, 11:04 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

I use the shelf paper. It is the only thing my wife will do to support my tracking hobby. She makes good numbers that don't come off.
Old 08-19-2012, 08:34 AM
cottoneg
Drifting

Received 181 Likes on 120 Posts

At Lightning, they sold the numbers and they were cheap. It looked better than painters
tape.

If I can save them, I will
Old 08-19-2012, 11:41 PM
Gary2KC5
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by ErnieN85
painters tape
Nothing quite says "I'm a rookied, I really am out of my element, I really need to be taking notes at the drivers meeting" like blue painter's tape on the car.

Really...you bought a $80k track version of the Corvette but feel like a $1.86 roll of painters tape will be good b/c you can save the $10 off your $400 entry fee by not forking out for the #'s...really?

And when the track photo's are done you can show everyone how awesome your $80k car looks on the track with blue painters tape on the door, in some form of a number.

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
You probably don't have enough time to contact Solo Performance. They sell reusable vinyl numbers. .... Most of the groups... provide the numbers as they want them in a certain style, etc.

Bill
Solo is the best place to get #'s with a week's notice or less...like Bill said this is short notice...and the org throwing the event will either prvide #'s or sell them...

There is never a situation where you will need to make your car look like you are getting ready to put graphics from a Martha Stewart make over on it.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:01 AM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary2KC5
Nothing quite says "I'm a rookied, I really am out of my element, I really need to be taking notes at the drivers meeting" like blue painter's tape on the car.

Really...you bought a $80k track version of the Corvette but feel like a $1.86 roll of painters tape will be good b/c you can save the $10 off your $400 entry fee by not forking out for the #'s...really?

And when the track photo's are done you can show everyone how awesome your $80k car looks on the track with blue painters tape on the door, in some form of a number.

Solo is the best place to get #'s with a week's notice or less...like Bill said this is short notice...and the org throwing the event will either prvide #'s or sell them...

There is never a situation where you will need to make your car look like you are getting ready to put graphics from a Martha Stewart make over on it.
Solo is a great outfit I got my numbers there 10 years ago.
That said there is nothing wrong with being a rookie!
and there is no good reason to spend money you don't have to spend,
until your sure you will stay with it. we all see some one jump in with both feet then decide it's not for me. and sell out at a big loss
Old 08-20-2012, 09:07 PM
2 GTOs
Pro

St. Jude Donor '11-'12

I'm at the track regularly and I still see a lot of fast regulars that use painters tape for numbers. Just depends on where you want to spend your effort.

OP: how was the event?

Get notified of new replies

To Stupid Question

Old 09-16-2012, 02:53 AM
2K6Z06
Racer

Originally Posted by 2 GTOs
I'm at the track regularly and I still see a lot of fast regulars that use painters tape for numbers. Just depends on where you want to spend your effort.

OP: how was the event?
I am not sure how I missed this but thanks for all the replies...

The first day was amazing and i am addicted. The instructor was very aggressive and pushed harder than I thought I or the car could handle. As soon as I got home I booked 2 more events this year.

BTW- I went to Palmer Signs in Roseville and reusable numbers were done same day...great quality, great service!!!!!!!!
Old 09-16-2012, 06:53 AM
2 GTOs
Pro

St. Jude Donor '11-'12

Make sure you read the sticky on HPDE conversions- what I have learned. It is in the auto cross roadracing section. Spend money on seat time and safety first. Stuff happens that is not in your control, fluid on track, etc.

Welcome......
Old 09-16-2012, 10:39 AM
sebdavid
Pro

I'm instructing and running pretty quickly and I still use painter's tape when numbers aren't provided. Some people don't care about looks and just want to have fun driving fast. I spend enough time changing brake pads and doing oil changes, I don't want to be making numbers on top of that. Most of the time I don't even wash the car.

Quick Reply: Stupid Question