Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Doees anyone host track days at Indy?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 06:41 PM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Default Doees anyone host track days at Indy?

Just wondering if any organizations offer track days (HPDEs) at Indy. I havn't heard of anyone running there...but, I would like to try it.

Thanks,
Charley
Old 08-17-2012, 07:10 PM
Rob Willis
Safety Car

Received 121 Likes on 63 Posts

Indy500 track/roadcourse

or

IRP?

If running IRP be sure to tape/protect your car. It'll sandblast it to all hell.
Old 08-17-2012, 07:54 PM
chempowr
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've done a track day with the local Porsche club. They invite me and my vette occasionally. It seemed like Indy was move to a fully private posture when I was there but I'm not sure if they've implemented that rule yet.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:30 PM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Rob Willis
Indy500 track/roadcourse

or

IRP?

If running IRP be sure to tape/protect your car. It'll sandblast it to all hell.
I would like to do the road course... I am not familiar with IRP
Old 08-19-2012, 07:57 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Charley Hoyt
I would like to do the road course... I am not familiar with IRP
IRP is a fun course. It is about 20-25 miles from Indy as I remember. Google Indianapolis Raceway Park.

Jim
Old 08-21-2012, 12:57 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Painrace
IRP is a fun course. It is about 20-25 miles from Indy as I remember. Google Indianapolis Raceway Park.

Jim
Through the parking lot and the access road - interesting course!
Old 08-21-2012, 01:38 PM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Charley Hoyt
Just wondering if any organizations offer track days (HPDEs) at Indy. I havn't heard of anyone running there...but, I would like to try it.

Thanks,
Charley
IMS doesn't do track days. They are extremely protective of their image and they don't want amatures running around the place. Also the idea of insuring it scares them silly. The place is really well manicured and yahoos driving off into the grass would tick them off. For them it's more trouble than it is worth.

One of the Nascar driving experiences (I believe it's Richard Petty) does run at the Speedway and I have had a couple of friends do it and said it was a hoot.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:34 AM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Solofast
IMS doesn't do track days. They are extremely protective of their image and they don't want amatures running around the place. Also the idea of insuring it scares them silly. The place is really well manicured and yahoos driving off into the grass would tick them off. For them it's more trouble than it is worth.

One of the Nascar driving experiences (I believe it's Richard Petty) does run at the Speedway and I have had a couple of friends do it and said it was a hoot.
Thanks. It looks like that might be the only way to get on the track.

Charley
Old 08-22-2012, 09:18 AM
meldog21
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

After watching Moto GP run the road course at Indy it doesn't look all that great.

Lots of complaints from the riders. Not just that the surface had no grip, but that the track had no flow and lots of one line only areas.

And, don't they have any sweeper trucks? During the motorcycle racing there was so much loose rubber just off the racing line that it looked like a pass would require a motoX bike.

Maybe Indy will open up for track days after they lose the Moto GP race to Austin.

Dog
Old 08-22-2012, 08:34 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 767 Likes on 549 Posts

Just curious, I noticed the motorcycle guys going CCW, but IIRC the F1 (and other cars) went CW on the Indy road course. Any particular reason stated for the difference in direction between these two groups?

Get notified of new replies

To Doees anyone host track days at Indy?

Quick Reply: Doees anyone host track days at Indy?