Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Extreme - anyone using it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 09:51 AM
Z06_505
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Oil Extreme - anyone using it?

I ran across this product while researching valve train geometry. The guy who wrote this 2006 article swears by it for custom cams. http://www.stockcarracing.com/techar...lve_float.html

Here's their website:http://www.oilextreme.com/index.html

Sounds a lot like Slick50.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:46 AM
mr.beachcomber
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Default I've Used Oil Extreme and I Recommend It

I first read about Oil Extreme in a Grassroots Motorsports article on oil additives back in the late 90's I believe. They did some before and after dyno tests on three vehicles (Honda, GM, and Ford if I remember correctly). Two out of the three vehicles shown a gain in HP while the third lost power. Interesting article, but I chalked it up as "snake oil".

In March 2001, David Vizard did his testing on Oil Extreme in his on-line magazine called MotorTec. (Most people know of David for his how-to-build horsepower series of books; but at the time, he was better known in England than the US for his engine building expertise. I valued his experience and the fact that he was famous for "not having an opinion, I have a dyno" to back-up his observations with mountains of test data.) You can read the original MotorTec review here on the Oil Extreme website. At the time, I thought that I would check out Oil Extreme for myself in my then low mileage '89 Vette.

Some quick dyno pulls did show the same results that David Vizard forecast; however, it didn't last much more than 3K miles so I decided to just keeping using Redline Oil's 10W-30 by itself. However, any time I went to a track day, I'd add some Oil Extreme per recommended dosage for a slight performance boost. (Remember that the '89 L98 was only rated at 245 HP so the improvement was small, but noticeable in improved lap times.) Because of the improvement, Oil Extreme quickly became an "unfair advantage" for me and my small group of spec racers looking for more HP.

The most extensive testing that I did on Oil Extreme was during 2007-2008 as gas prices were surging towards the $5/gal mark. I managed the fleet delivery vehicles for my brother's 1-800 Radiator franchise and we were getting clobbered by the rise in gas prices. Our pricing structure was based upon $1.50/gal gas and a delivery radius of 50 miles with the majority of trips 25 miles or less. Our delivery vehicles were brand new PT Cruisers and Chevy HHT's - all four cylinder models. We changed oil and filter every 3K miles per the manufacturer's recommendations for severe service. Since we changed oil at 3K intervals roughly the same number of miles as I had seen Oil Extreme be effective, I started adding Oil Extreme to each vehicle after an oil change. Even factoring in the different driving styles of our delivery personnel, the Oil Extreme did pay for itself with much better gas mileage. We did have one mule vehicle that ran straight synthetic oil during the same period to ensure that just switching out to synthetic motor oil wouldn't be as good or better than using Oil Extreme. (It wasn't. The extra cost of the synthetic versus dino oil was higher than the cost of the Oil Extreme being used. Also the synthetic delivered about the same or slightly less than the mileage recorded on the other vehicles.)

Just so you know, after David Vizard tested Oil Extreme, he decided to buy stock in Jet Set Life Technologies, the makers of Oil Extreme and so stated that fact at the end of his article on Oil Extreme. He has also collaborated with them on a new, three step product for break in of race engines. (You can read about it on the Oil Extreme website. Myron Cottrell of TPiS, Inc. was the tester referred to in the write up, and he now offers the David Vizard Special Break In additives on his website.)

That's about all I know about the product. It's worked for me (and other racers) while saving us money in business. Whether or not it's for you...well you just have to make up your own mind on that.

Good Luck! :

Last edited by mr.beachcomber; 08-22-2012 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Correcting grammar and puncuation.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:05 AM
moespeeds
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Not to get too far off topic, but I was curious if anyone uses additives like Lucas or Sea Foam. Never heard of oil extreme but I guess it can't hurt to try.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:19 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by mr.beachcomber
I
That's about all I know about the product. It's worked for me (and other racers) while saving us money in business. Whether or not it's for you...well you just have to make up your own mind on that.

Good Luck! :
Awesome reply.
Old 08-23-2012, 11:16 AM
Z06_505
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mr.beachcomber

Good Luck! :
Thanks!
Old 08-23-2012, 08:52 PM
mr.beachcomber
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Default I've Have Never Used Either Product, but...

Originally Posted by moespeeds
Not to get too far off topic, but I was curious if anyone uses additives like Lucas or Sea Foam. Never heard of oil extreme but I guess it can't hurt to try.
Like I stated in the title to this post, I haven't tried either product. However, Sea Foam has mixed reviews on the BITOG site. Most prefer either Redline Oil's SI-1 fuel system cleaner or Techron Fuel System Cleaner (both of which I have used with excellent results : ).

As for Lucas, here's a demo video on why not to use Lucas Oil Stablizer.

Hope this helps answer your questions.

Get notified of new replies

To Oil Extreme - anyone using it?

Quick Reply: Oil Extreme - anyone using it?