Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any tricks to fix a leaking PS pump?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 08:46 PM
taken19
Track Junky

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Tech Contributor

Default Any tricks to fix a leaking PS pump?

Or do I need to break down and buy the Turn 1 pump? If so, what is the part number for a 2005 C6 Z51?

A little background... 11tn track day on the car, 2nd day on Hoosiers. Noticed small leak in the PS pump, looks like its coming from the shaft seal. I hear this is not uncommon and I thought I read that some of you have devised a way to buy more time. Please share your secrets if you know any. If not, I guess a new Turn 1 pump may be in my future.

Thanks for any info,
Sean
Old 08-21-2012, 09:03 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by taken19
Or do I need to break down and buy the Turn 1 pump? If so, what is the part number for a 2005 C6 Z51?

A little background... 11tn track day on the car, 2nd day on Hoosiers. Noticed small leak in the PS pump, looks like its coming from the shaft seal. I hear this is not uncommon and I thought I read that some of you have devised a way to buy more time. Please share your secrets if you know any. If not, I guess a new Turn 1 pump may be in my future.

Thanks for any info,
Sean
50/50 mixture of redline power steering fluid and Lucas power steering fluid. flush the old crap out first

but turn one is nice
Old 08-21-2012, 11:33 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Flush the entire rack and pump with a good grade synthetic or you can try the mixture above. Start saving your $ as a Turn One Pump should be on your "Next Thing I Gotta Do" List. I would also use their billett pulley. It makes installation very easy with the cut outs in the pulley, besides you are probably going to break the old plastic pulley taking it off anyway.
Old 08-22-2012, 04:10 AM
taken19
Track Junky

Tech Contributor

Thanks for the suggestions. I have heard very good things about the Turn 1 pump, but wanna see if I can save my stock one first. I will give the Lucas/redline fluid a try.
Old 08-22-2012, 06:27 AM
Bills Z06
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18

I had a small leak in my p/s unit also. I added some Lucas Stop Leak - not sure of the exact name of the stuff - leak fixed. Hope it works for you also.
Old 08-22-2012, 01:06 PM
taken19
Track Junky

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Bills Z06
I had a small leak in my p/s unit also. I added some Lucas Stop Leak - not sure of the exact name of the stuff - leak fixed. Hope it works for you also.
Thanks Bill. I used some during the flush to RP with the intent on having some of it stick to the seals. Maybe didn't sit in there long enough do do anything - only in for a dozen turns of the steering wheel or so then slowly pushed out. I guess I will swap to redline/Lucas mix and add a bit of the stop leak.

Get notified of new replies

To Any tricks to fix a leaking PS pump?

Quick Reply: Any tricks to fix a leaking PS pump?