Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pilot sport cup tire pressure recommendations please...

Old 08-23-2012, 01:37 PM
Dr.Ron
Le Mans Master

Location: 2007 Nat'l Corvette Challenge 11.50 index Champ. New Jersey
Received 210 Likes on 161 Posts

Default pilot sport cup tire pressure recommendations please...

09 C6Z06. First time on the road course on these tires. NOT my first hpde day....345/19 & 295/18. Hawk dtc 70 pads up front. Car is stock otherwise.
Looking for cold and hot Max psi for front and rears. I called Michelin and the rep was useless.
Thanks!

Ron
Old 08-23-2012, 02:12 PM
phxcobra
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

I need to know too. Brand new MPSC on my Z and going to the track tomorrow.
Old 08-23-2012, 02:28 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 833 Likes on 594 Posts

Here's a Michelin brochure with some guidance:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...nd_Feeding.pdf

Bob
Old 08-23-2012, 02:52 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Received 1,071 Likes on 643 Posts

Thank you Bob for that link. That's great!!

ROAD RACING (psi)
Front: 25 cold; 32 hot
Rear: 28 cold; 36 hot
Note: If your road-racing hot pressures are too high, start
with slightly lower cold pressures.

The above is from the link Bob put up from the Michelin brochure . That's exactly where I started the rears and exactly where I ended up last Thursday at SPM. Seemed to work well there. More grip than I was expecting actually. 345/30/19
Old 08-23-2012, 03:43 PM
Dr.Ron
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by BEZ06
Here's a Michelin brochure with some guidance:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...nd_Feeding.pdf

Bob
Originally Posted by Racingswh
Thank you Bob for that link. That's great!!

ROAD RACING (psi)
Front: 25 cold; 32 hot
Rear: 28 cold; 36 hot
Note: If your road-racing hot pressures are too high, start
with slightly lower cold pressures.

The above is from the link Bob put up from the Michelin brochure . That's exactly where I started the rears and exactly where I ended up last Thursday at SPM. Seemed to work well there. More grip than I was expecting actually. 345/30/19
Precisely what I was looking for. Couldn't find that document again.
The dumbas_s at Michelin customer support told me the max pressure and suggested I "ask the track!" Could you imagine??? Michelin says ask the TRACK about THEIR top tire!

Ron

Last edited by Dr.Ron; 08-23-2012 at 04:51 PM.
Old 08-23-2012, 04:14 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Dr.Ron
Precisely what I was looking for. Couldn't find that document again.
The dumbas_s at Michelin customer support told me the max pressure and suggested I "ask the track!" Could you imaging??? Michelin says ask the TRACK about THEIR top tire!

Ron
What's scary Ron is that yes I can imagine. Luckily for us their tires "WORK" much better than their reps!!
Old 08-23-2012, 04:54 PM
Dr.Ron
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Racingswh
What's scary Ron is that yes I can imagine. Luckily for us their tires "WORK" much better than their reps!!
How did the tires perform for you? What's your experience level?
I am coming out of running Hoosier R6's.
I have run approximately 9 track days. i run in the intermediate group and likely run at 7.5-8 tenths of what the car can do. That's where I have enough fun and feel comfortable. i shift at 5500 max rpm. 97% of the time no car passes me like this.
The advanced group, which i likely CAN run, is just too much stress for me. I don't want to be watching my mirrors all day long with cars able to pass anywhere on track.
Old 08-23-2012, 05:22 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Dr.Ron
How did the tires perform for you? What's your experience level?
I am coming out of running Hoosier R6's.
I have run approximately 9 track days. i run in the intermediate group and likely run at 7.5-8 tenths of what the car can do. That's where I have enough fun and feel comfortable. i shift at 5500 max rpm. 97% of the time no car passes me like this.
The advanced group, which i likely CAN run, is just too much stress for me. I don't want to be watching my mirrors all day long with cars able to pass anywhere on track.
The tires work well. Like I said more stick than I expected. Mine is a 2010 GS and at the top of second gear the tires would spin up with the OEM GY on it. Not with the Michelins. Once up to temp they just go. No wheelspin in 3rd if you're unwinding the wheel properly and not using too much throttle too soon.

Started doing DE events back in 2003 after doing some racing in the Skip Barber series. I have been a PCA instructor since 2007.

More often than not I am probably overdriving the car and relying on car control to keep it on the track. I am working at being smoother and faster.

I think you will be more than happy with the tires if you're at the level you describe and quite frankly they a a little bit better to learn the art of car control at the limit with as compared to the Hoosiers. Hoosiers just give too much stick and once the limit is reached often times the car is traveling much quicker than an intermediate level driver is comfortable with and mistakes are made when they can't afford to be.

Hope that helps and have fun!!

I see you're in NJ. You should run with us at Pocono in September. Riesentoter PCA. We are running the entire Tri- Oval for a couple sessions as well as the IMSA course. I haven't done it but I am told it's a great time!! PM me or JimbeauZ06 for more info.

Last edited by Racingswh; 08-23-2012 at 05:26 PM.
Old 08-25-2012, 08:22 PM
harrydirty
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Suprised to see the front pressure lower than rear; usually I see the opposite (for track duty). Is this unique for the PSC tires?

Get notified of new replies

To pilot sport cup tire pressure recommendations please...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: pilot sport cup tire pressure recommendations please...