Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad/Failed SKF Race Hub out of the box?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 07:42 PM
SoDiezl350
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Bad/Failed SKF Race Hub out of the box?

Has anyone ever installed an SKF Race hub that was bad out of the box. Reason I ask is I replaced the front hubs recently with SKF Race hubs and one of them is making a bunch of noise(thunking). It's somewhat intermittent and started immediately after installation of the new hub. The noise is dependent on wheel speed and goes away when the brakes are applied(gently or firmly). I already replaced the brake pads and swapped rotors. I don't really want to swap hubs from side to side to confirm it's the hub, so I was wondering if this is even remotely possible.

If I confirm it is the hub, does anyone know what the warranty is on these parts?

Thanks in advance
Old 09-04-2012, 08:30 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Old 09-04-2012, 09:29 PM
RaleighSS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

not sure of their warranty but remember another guy who had problems with his and they worked with him to him to get a new part ... tried a quick search here but did not find it ... I think if ya search a bit you can find the thread here where he had issues during early life of the procudt ... Most vendors will stand up to a early life or out of box fail (i would think)

Last edited by RaleighSS; 09-06-2012 at 06:30 PM.
Old 09-05-2012, 02:03 PM
JimbeauZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RaleighSS
not sure of their warranty but herd of another guy who had problems with his and they worked with him and got him a new part ... tried a quick search here but did not find it ... I think if ya search a bit you can find the thread here where he had same up with issues out of the box ... Most vendors will stand up to a early life or out of box fail (i would think)
I believe that was Zenak. He bought from Gary at Hardbar and I believe he got a new one and the broken one went back to SKF for research if I remember correctly. It was not new "out of the box" but relatively so.
Old 09-05-2012, 03:24 PM
Z06cool
Drifting

Heard that happening only 1 time from someone at CMP a couple years ago.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:57 AM
brgguy
3rd Gear

Default SKF Bearing Concern

SoDiezl350,
I work for SKF supporting these bearings and would like to work with you to understand your concern. Please give the folks you purchased the SKF Performance Hubs a call. They can get you in touch with me and we can go from there.
Thanks, Ken Fegely - SKF Racing
Old 09-07-2012, 11:04 AM
Pfadt Racing
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

In all of our years and several hundred SKF units sold we've only ever seen 1 bearing that was even remotely questionable. I would suggest getting in contact with Ken and I'm sure he can get you squared away.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:44 AM
Van Steel
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

Default SKF Hub issue

We too have shipped hundreds of the SKF racing hub and only seen this once...please do not hesitate to give a call and we can resolve your concern.
Cheers,
Paul Lesinski
Van Steel
800-418-5397
Old 09-10-2012, 10:53 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

You check the torque on the hub bolts? The factory spec is 96 ft/lbs with red loctite and it can be hard to get to that figure with the spindle off of the car so many don't. They'll come loose if not torqued to spec.

When I got my SKFs they came with Gary's upgraded bolts and Nordlocks so no need for loctite or high torque values.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:33 PM
SLandstra_Z06
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have also thought I've had a possible "bad" HD SKF hub bearing. There is an old thread, maybe three years ago. The issue seems to be that until the grease gets some good heat on it, they can exhibit some noise and/or thumping. They will normally quiet down after some miles and the grease flows in. If that doesn't happen, I'm sure the vendor will make it right and replace a rare, defective bearing.

Steve
Old 09-10-2012, 12:54 PM
moespeeds
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I emailed SKF directly about the wheel speed sensor failing on mine, and got an email back saying I was SOL.

Get notified of new replies

To Bad/Failed SKF Race Hub out of the box?

Quick Reply: Bad/Failed SKF Race Hub out of the box?