Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Preventive Maint for HPDE .... forgot one

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 09:21 PM
RaleighSS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Preventive Maint for HPDE .... forgot one

So I thought i had it down pat .... Preventive maint on my c5 Z06

Oil change every 4 weekends
Diff / Trans / coolant yearly
Compression test yearly
Dyno bout once / twice a year
Valve springs Every 2 years
Brake Fluid every event
Timing chain every 2 years
Hubs / suspension inspect every couple events
And a bunch of other stuff...

But Darn never thought about this one .. had a student with me and was good lesson on keeping a check on the gauges ... saw it climbing after 3rd lap and pulled in shortly afterwards .... could keep speeds / stress low and temps stayed about 230 ... but push it hard and she was bound to tap the red zone.

Net is I never thought of this one ... Check your radiator you must remove the top radiator support to see it properly new on my list is check and clean every year .. .if not more ..

Old 09-04-2012, 10:14 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Caeful when you clean it. I don't know what the best way is, but I know I ruined a C5 radiator with compressed air and a water hose. I got all the trapped dirt out of there, but I bent all the fins so bad that it couldn't breathe at all when I was done. Had to get another one.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:34 PM
RaleighSS
Drifting

good tip ... i was very careful and did not bend any fins and while i do not recommend it to anyone, I used a torch lol. See I blew it out with a inflation needle used for basket ***** as it had a hole in the side of it that let me focus air and push most debris out. I thin flushed it with water but still had dry grass in the fins I was able to run the torch over the dry grass and what looked like hair a couple times (quickly) the dry grass went up in smoke quickly and I was able to blow the ashes out . Again torch was never held in one spot and rad had water in the core... it worked for me and only thing left was small rocks stuck in the fins...
Old 09-04-2012, 11:05 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

[QUOTE=RaleighSS;1581746501]So I thought i had it down pat .... Preventive maint on my c5 Z06

Oil change every 4 weekends
Diff / Trans / coolant yearly
Compression test yearly
Dyno bout once / twice a year
Valve springs Every 2 years
Brake Fluid every event
Timing chain every 2 years
Hubs / suspension inspect every couple events
And a bunch of other stuff...

Net is I never thought of this one ... Check your radiator you must remove the top radiator support to see it properly

Is this visible from underneath the car...the front(intake) of the radiator visible from the air dam area? Or is that the back(exhaust) part of the radiator that's facing the condensor? I'm not sure what support must be removed.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:46 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

I have had mine off twice this year for cleaning. I know everyone says get the compressed air with the funky nozzle, but I cannot get much out that way. It doesn't take that long to remove rad once a year.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:03 PM
JeremyGSU
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

[QUOTE=sothpaw2;1581747376]
Originally Posted by RaleighSS

Is this visible from underneath the car...the front(intake) of the radiator visible from the air dam area? Or is that the back(exhaust) part of the radiator that's facing the condensor? I'm not sure what support must be removed.
I too would like to know this.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:26 PM
RaleighSS
Drifting

[QUOTE=JeremyGSU;1581755515]
Originally Posted by sothpaw2

I too would like to know this.
so when you look directly up into the "scoop" area you see the condenser and not the radiator ... If you look at the bottom of the condenser you will see the radiator with about 1.5 inch gap between them then with about an inch gap the black fan shroud ... You can not see up into the radiator with any real clarity ... I had to pull the top black radiator support off (it is the plastic under the air bridge held down with 4 10mm bolts) once that cover is off you can see down in there perfect. It honestly took me about 10 min to get the radiator out and back in ... I feel i got lucky as it does seem tricky to get the condenser and fan shroud back in the radiator slots... ...
Old 09-06-2012, 12:27 AM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

I put in a new Dewitts & fabricated my own screen for the new rad. Comes off for track days. Click on link in sig & search channel re: c5 radiator if anyone's interested. Keeps your rad. 100% clean & easy to remove.

Get notified of new replies

To Preventive Maint for HPDE .... forgot one

Quick Reply: Preventive Maint for HPDE .... forgot one