Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Bang for buck Racing seat to use on Track Days?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 09:46 PM
rithsleeper
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Best Bang for buck Racing seat to use on Track Days?

I've caught the track day bug and it's only getting worse. I currently use my mildly modified 1989 6-speed. I have my brakes finally figured out and next want to move to a race compound (like r6) instead of my current street tires. I also want to move to a 5 point harness and install a track 4 point bar in the back so I can do time trial events.

Problem is, I just finished interior and switched to a stock seat from my sport option due to cost saving. However this past track day I discovered what a horrible choice that was!!!! I was sliding everywhere, so I need some bolsters and fast. I want to just switch out my stock seats for a racing seat when I go to the track.

I am a teacher and have very little money to spend. What is the best bang for my buck. I only need one seat for me but would like to have both so if I have someone ride with me they feel safe too. I was thinking of going with a basic kirkey basic aluminum seat with bolsters but no head support.

I will never do more than time trials with this car and track time is in 20 min intervals so I doubt I would need the head supports. I could get one seat for 115 bucks and then a good cover for 50.

Or am I being too cheap and need something more. please give me a rational. Thanks all
Old 09-06-2012, 10:03 PM
jonnyc
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

these are what they call "grey market" seats.great pair of seats for the price.offer him $450 shipped for the pair.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sparco-EVO-2...item43b26e572c
Old 09-07-2012, 08:03 AM
rithsleeper
Drifting

They look good but if I just type in "Racing Seats" in on ebay I find about 13K results and some are only like 200 bucks for a pair and look exactly like the seats you linked. These seats would only be for track days, I would not be using them perminately, just maybe 3 track days and 3 autox days a year. Are these really worth the extra 200 bucks total?

The specific ones I'm looking at are called 2x universal turino black/blue fabric and pvc leather racing seats+sliders pair 23. (sorry no link, I'm at work and can't access ebay except through my phone)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/390462662995?redirect=mobile
Old 09-07-2012, 08:37 AM
RDnomorecobra
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

you want fixed back seats. those recline. you cant use a seat like that for a TT
Old 09-07-2012, 08:55 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

When I was shopping for mine, the Corbeau FX1 Pro seem to be the best deal for price, fitment and quality. If you are patient, there are always good deals in the for sale section.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:14 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I have a pair of Corbeau Forza's in my 87. I also bought the sliders but I found that with the sliders, the seats sit a bit too high and my helmet contacts the top of the clear top.

You do need to look for seats that have the necessary holes for a harness setup. Holes in the seat back for shoulder belts, holes in the base for lap belts and a single hole in the front for the submarine belt. As mentioned, the fixed-back seats do need to attach to the harness bar so having sliders with fixed back seats is no real help. One you find a good seating position, there is no real need to move the seat around.

There are a variety of good harness belts available. I use G-Force Pro and you can get them at Summit Racing. Find a good harness bar and you should be set.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:35 AM
RDnomorecobra
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

seats need to attach to the harness bar? you're speaking of a bottom mount seat needs the back brace? I dont think side mount fixed back seats need attached to harness bar.
Old 09-07-2012, 04:34 PM
k24556
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 205 Likes on 171 Posts

Default seats

PM sent also see attachment
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Corbeau Install.pdf (1.55 MB, 228 views)
Old 09-07-2012, 04:50 PM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

We just bought a new Kirkey seat for the Chumps car. Everyone was very impressed. I prefer a carbon fiber seat but my team is poor (actually just cheap). We bought it off of Summit.

Richard Newton
Facebook
Old 09-07-2012, 05:13 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lookup Sparco Sprint. I just sold my so you a little late, but they can be had new for under $400. OG racing carries them.
Old 09-07-2012, 06:44 PM
harrydirty
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Kirkey Intermediate Road Race......new, they are $450, but you can get them used for less than $200. Best feature is that since the shoulder support (wings) are aluminum, they can be fine tuned to fit your shoulders snugly. You can't do that with carbon fiber or fiberglass seats. Plus, these seats have all the correct holes for harnesses, can be side or bottom mounted, and are comfortable enough for me to drive my car to the track (some up to two hours).
Old 09-08-2012, 03:03 AM
boltvette
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

Are you sure you want to go to a racing seat? If you're using your '89 for other purposes as well, you may want to look into Angel Pads. They're relatively inexpensive and you don't have to deal with installing and removing a racing seat. They're made by Angelwings Tech.
Old 09-08-2012, 04:41 AM
Crepitus
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Keep in mind this is a C4 there is not a lot of room on the floor pan.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:23 PM
txoutlaw55
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by boltvette
Are you sure you want to go to a racing seat? If you're using your '89 for other purposes as well, you may want to look into Angel Pads. They're relatively inexpensive and you don't have to deal with installing and removing a racing seat. They're made by Angelwings Tech.

I bought an angel pad at NCCC Convention in June for my C5Z. I finally got to use it at an autocross last week and it worked great! I didn't have to brace up all weird to keep from breaking my door speaker.
Old 09-10-2012, 01:40 AM
MJM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by boltvette
Old 09-10-2012, 07:11 AM
rithsleeper
Drifting

Ill take a look at angel pads but im not perminately going to a racing seat, just switching out on track days or autox. I just spent a bunch of money on new interior and im not just dumping the seats. They are fine to drive on the road just not on track
Old 09-10-2012, 07:56 AM
rithsleeper
Drifting

Well angel pads look like they cost 189 bucks a piece! Thats almost what a kirkley racing seat cost. Am i missing something? The pad is a good idea but i think that would apply if i didnt want to take the time to remove my seat, which for me its not a big deal. They must stuff the pad with bald eagle feathers.

Although i do like eagle....

Get notified of new replies

To Best Bang for buck Racing seat to use on Track Days?

Old 09-10-2012, 12:10 PM
Black89Z51
Suckin' gas, haulin' ass.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I installed a Sparco Evo 2 (Evo XL) in my 89. I had to cut the transmission tunnel to make it fit. I know that seat is out of your price range though. I would recommend the Kirkey fixed-back seat. Just know that if it's not FIA rated, the seat back needs to be secured to the harness bar/roll cage.
Old 09-14-2012, 01:47 AM
boltvette
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by rithsleeper
Well angel pads look like they cost 189 bucks a piece! Thats almost what a kirkley racing seat cost. Am i missing something? The pad is a good idea but i think that would apply if i didnt want to take the time to remove my seat, which for me its not a big deal. They must stuff the pad with bald eagle feathers.

Although i do like eagle....
High-quality materials, made in the U.S. (not China). Until you see them in person, you might not get a sense of the labor involved. Ask anyone who has bought a set. Well worth the money.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:40 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by rithsleeper
The specific ones I'm looking at are called 2x universal turino black/blue fabric and pvc leather racing seats+sliders pair 23. (sorry no link, I'm at work and can't access ebay except through my phone)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/390462662995?redirect=mobile
Not even close. Rice burners maybe.

few hints:
No leather
does not fold, but fix back.

Kirky or Ultra-shield for the least expensive best bang for the buck

My ultrashields

Most likely switch to a Momo http://www.momousa.com/racing/seats/daytona.html

Last edited by AU N EGL; 09-14-2012 at 08:42 AM.

Quick Reply: Best Bang for buck Racing seat to use on Track Days?