Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailer advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 08:37 AM
2 GTOs
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '11-'12

Default Trailer advice

I am going to the track 2-3 times per month and it is about 3 hours each way. I am renting a garage at the track which is not cheap, and because of the distance, I am not able to do any work on my car, so I pay a local guy to do it.

I am considering taking the next step here, but I have some significant constraints to deal with.

Tow vehicle= Nissan Armada with tow package. 9,000lb tow capacity and can take about 900lb tongue weight. Probably driver and 1 passennger in car,jack, spare wheels, spare brakes.

I live in a newer development in north NJ and will not get away with leaving a car on an open trailer, or having a big unsightly enclosed trailer.

I am leaning towards the smallest enclosed trailer possible so that if I do have a problem with the neighbors, I can find a trailer storage park and have the ability to leave the car in the trailer.

Logistically, I would like to keep the car and trailer in the same place so I c an just take it and go.

It seems I am finding 2 options:

1) serpent express with the canvass enclosure - might keep the neighbors happy, but if I need to put it in a storage lot, I'm not sure that it really provides the security I would like.

2) Trailex enclosed sports car trailer - I'm not sure it is really that small, but if I did need to put the car and trailer into storage, this is probably more secure.

I am looking for suggestions, but moving is not an option.

Any other trailers that might fit the need?
Old 09-09-2012, 09:29 AM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Received 297 Likes on 78 Posts

You can't go wrong with the Trailex!! They are a great trailer and your Armada will handle it with no problem. It would be much more secure than a canvas enclosed trailer. It is very hard to find a used Trailex, they really hold there value but they are pretty expensive. I have a friend that has one and he pulls it with a Tahoe. JD
Old 09-09-2012, 09:30 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

You should be able to find used 20' enclosed trailers for $2K-$3K depending on level of finish and installed equipment. Open trailers can be had for under $1500. With an enclosed trailer, you do have sort of a garage on wheels so you can keep tools, tires and spare parts in the trailer. Same with the car. A 20' enclosed trailer would, IMHO, be the minimum length needed especially if you intend to have equipment and tires in the trailer. Also if tracks allow it, an enclosed trailer can work as a camper.

My 20' enclosed trailer (2011 CargoMate) and my '87 coupe weighs about 6700 lbs including tools, tires and such. I store it at a local RV storage facility that is on private property (fenced and security cameras) for about $35 per month. I don't have space at my house to park my trailer but the storage facility is only 2 miles away.

As for your tow vehicle, I don't know much about Nissan rigs, but it sounds like the tow capacity is there. Is there enough HP and torque? My '08 Silverado has the 6.0L motor with 367HP/390 ft-lbs of torque and it tows well on the flats, but big hills can be a struggle.

You also have to consider the total cargo weight in the tow vehicle. Add in the weight of your passengers, any equipment, and the trailer tongue weight which should 10 to 15% of the gross loaded trailer weight. What is the maximum gross cargo weight capacity as shown in the owner's manual??

With an enclosed trailer, you will definitely need a good weight distribution hitch, a trailer brake controller, and extended towing mirrors. Add a good trans cooler and make sure the brakes are in excellent shape.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:18 AM
2 GTOs
Pro

St. Jude Donor '11-'12

On the Nissan, doing this from memory, it said
15k less 6k = 9k capacity. The vehicle curb weight is 5.8 k
Max gvwr 7.3 k
317 Hp, 385 TQ

Figure the vette is 3.5 k and I figured a trailer 1.5 - 3 k depending on open vs closed, I figured should keep me well within the weight limits even with some extra stuff or passengers.

Seem reasonable?

Outdoor storage space in this area ia limited and the going rate seems to be $150 month.

Stupid question, maybe, but can you move a 1200lb open aluminum trailer by hand using one of those hitch dollies?

If so, I could probably slide a Trailex open trailer out of view.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:41 AM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by 2 GTOs
Max gvwr 7.3 k
317 Hp, 385 TQ

Figure the vette is 3.5 k and I figured a trailer 1.5 - 3 k depending on open vs closed, I figured should keep me well within the weight limits even with some extra stuff or passengers.

Seem reasonable?

Outdoor storage space in this area ia limited and the going rate seems to be $150 month.

Stupid question, maybe, but can you move a 1200lb open aluminum trailer by hand using one of those hitch dollies?

yes you can, if the area is level & paved no problem other wise a small garden tractor will move it and the car on it
Old 09-09-2012, 01:42 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Will the guy doing service let you store your car and trailer there?

Jim
Old 09-09-2012, 04:07 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by 2 GTOs
Max gvwr 7.3 k
317 Hp, 385 TQ

Seem reasonable?

The Armada is similar to the Tahoe or Ford Expedition so it should be up to the towing work. But expect gas mileage to be somewhere between pizz and poor when towing, especially an enclosed trailer I have read that the Armada/Titan has some pretty poor mileage figures even empty.

The rule of thumb for towing/cargo load is to not exceed 85% of the total gross vehicle/cargo weight.

Did the tow package include the 7-pin trailer harness connector? Is there a harness plug-in or wires for a trailer brake controller? I highly recommend a Tekonsha Prodigy trailer brake controller.

An aluminum open trailer can be moved with one of those handtruck-style dollies, but get one that will handle at least 1000 lbs. If the area is blacktop and level, you should be able to move an empty trailer with some effort.

As far as rental for a storage area, that $150 a month sounds extreme . You may want to widen your search area for trailer storage. Some storage places may have limited access hours so keep that in mind too.
Old 09-10-2012, 04:51 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

You should look up the Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR, combines both truck and trailer for a total weight) for the vehicle. That will tell you how much you can tow and haul in the truck. GCWR on my 03 Tahoe with 3:73 gears is around 13K pounds. A quick Google shows the Armada's GCWR varies from 11800 in 06 to 15100 in 09. GCWR also varies with the rear gear ratio so make sure the truck has the gears you need. A lot of people complain about their trucks but if you look at the gear ratio you may find they don't have the correct one to tow a large load. Fine for the knock about 1 to 3K loads most people tow but not for max capability.

Bill
Old 09-10-2012, 05:30 PM
2 GTOs
Pro

St. Jude Donor '11-'12

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
You should look up the Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR, combines both truck and trailer for a total weight) for the vehicle. That will tell you how much you can tow and haul in the truck. GCWR on my 03 Tahoe with 3:73 gears is around 13K pounds. A quick Google shows the Armada's GCWR varies from 11800 in 06 to 15100 in 09. GCWR also varies with the rear gear ratio so make sure the truck has the gears you need. A lot of people complain about their trucks but if you look at the gear ratio you may find they don't have the correct one to tow a large load. Fine for the knock about 1 to 3K loads most people tow but not for max capability.

Bill

The platinum 4x4 is 15,100

15,100 gcwr
5,800 vehicle
1,000 driver, passenger, junk
--------
8,300 available

2,000 max aluminum trailer - open Trailex or serpent express
3400 car
600 junk
--------
6,000 total being towed

6000/8300 = 72%

Manual says it can tow 9100 with a load equalizing hitch so I think I should be fine? I think my numbers are very conservative as the trailer is closer to 1,000-1,200 and I don't think I have 600 pounds of junk.

I need to look at the rear ratios I suppose, it I'm not sure that would be enough to nix the idea.

The real dilemma is still going to be where to keep it. If I put it on the driveway, I can only do the unit with the 16ft bed without the front of the armada tipping into the street.

Does my logic seem reasonable?
Old 09-10-2012, 07:13 PM
bsalie99
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

1st I recommend the open trailers from kwik-load (http://www.kwikload.com/) they make working with a vette very easy and they tow great behind a SUV

2nd I would NOT tow an enclosed with an SUV other than an Excursion. I tow with a Tahoe and the short wheelbase makes towing large trailers a bit scary. I do have a friend that tow a 18 ft enclosed with a Nissan, but the car in it as a featherweight gutted race-car so the GVW is lower, and it still tows like crap.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:56 PM
CGZO6
Drifting

Received 325 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by bsalie99
2nd I would NOT tow an enclosed with an SUV other than an Excursion. I tow with a Tahoe and the short wheelbase makes towing large trailers a bit scary. I do have a friend that tow a 18 ft enclosed with a Nissan, but the car in it as a featherweight gutted race-car so the GVW is lower, and it still tows like crap.
I tow an 8500lb 24' enclosed with an H2 Hummer (6.0 w/Magnacharger). Tows well, no sway at all when passing big rigs. Might be due to the hitch being so close to the rear axle, wide stance of the H2 and the fact it weighs 6600 lbs. Downside is my milage drops from 12.5 to 8 when towing, and the Maggie requires super.
Old 09-11-2012, 01:22 PM
trapp
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bsalie99
1st I recommend the open trailers from kwik-load (http://www.kwikload.com/) they make working with a vette very easy and they tow great behind a SUV

I have a kwik load trailer..............could not be happier
Old 09-11-2012, 01:52 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you can't store the trailer in the backyard? I had mine in my fenced in backyard in the corner next to the fence?
Old 09-11-2012, 04:01 PM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

You might want to take a look at my trailer book. It's on Google Books here. It free if you just want to browse.

Richard Newton
Facebook

Get notified of new replies

To Trailer advice

Quick Reply: Trailer advice