Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carbotech Pads on ZR1?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 02:32 PM
SCEMO
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Carbotech Pads on ZR1?

CF members ...
I wanted to see if any of you have run Carbotech pads (XP10/12) on your ZR1's for the track. I have roasted my stock pads and need to replace and have used Carbotech's on my other track cars. However, with the carbon ceramic rotors ... I am a little hesitant.

Any advise will be much appreciated!
Thanks!
Stephanie
Old 09-11-2012, 04:40 PM
NOSLO6
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

I'd call Carbotech directly-- they're always incredibly helpful.

FWIW, I believe that they typically don't recommend that their pads be used on rotors that have been used with other compounds-- and something tells me you don't want to buy a spare set of ZR1 rotors.
Old 09-11-2012, 04:49 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

I think I'd find a set of steel rotors to run if I were tracking that car, but I'm cheap.
Old 09-11-2012, 05:10 PM
SCEMO
Racer

Originally Posted by NOSLO6
I'd call Carbotech directly-- they're always incredibly helpful.

FWIW, I believe that they typically don't recommend that their pads be used on rotors that have been used with other compounds-- and something tells me you don't want to buy a spare set of ZR1 rotors.
Thanks for your reply! I did call Dan at Carbotech ... love those guys! As for running steel rotor's ... I agree that option would be cheaper, but wouldn't I loose break quality? Hmmm. With my C5Z, I ran XP8/10 with Nappa disposables. Worked great!
Old 09-11-2012, 10:37 PM
KNSBrakes
Supporting Vendor

Received 362 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by SCEMO
CF members ...
I wanted to see if any of you have run Carbotech pads (XP10/12) on your ZR1's for the track. I have roasted my stock pads and need to replace and have used Carbotech's on my other track cars. However, with the carbon ceramic rotors ... I am a little hesitant.

Any advise will be much appreciated!
Thanks!
Stephanie
I am pretty sure pads made for iron rotors are a completely different technology than those used for ceramic rotors.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:26 AM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

I don't know for sure 100%, but I am 95% sure if you run non-carbon ceramic specific pads on your carbon ceramic rotors, you will TRASH the rotors resulting in $4k+ replacement.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:06 PM
KNSBrakes
Supporting Vendor

Received 362 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by QUIKAG
I don't know for sure 100%, but I am 95% sure if you run non-carbon ceramic specific pads on your carbon ceramic rotors, you will TRASH the rotors resulting in $4k+ replacement.

That is why I when Hawk came out w/ ZR1 pads.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:11 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,805 Likes on 1,145 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by NOSLO6
FWIW, I believe that they typically don't recommend that their pads be used on rotors that have been used with other compounds
For what little it may be worth, this is only applicable to steel rotors, and it's due to pad deposits on said rotors. With carbon ceramic rotors, the pads do not leave deposits on them. If there is any material transfer from the pad to the rotor surface, the rotor is destroyed. End of story.

Stephanie, I'm going to repeat what I told you in your same ZR1-section thread: stick with the OEM pads. For the ZR1 specifically, there's nothing better out there.

jas

Get notified of new replies

To Carbotech Pads on ZR1?

Quick Reply: Carbotech Pads on ZR1?