Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

someone make this...and sell it to me

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 12:45 PM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

The project is still going - just slower than anticipated.

The current setup is pure carbon and kevlar reinforced plastic.

Dimensions were roughly 40 by 42 (the 42" section covering the rear subframe), however upon mocking up the install, I decided it wasnt wide enough, so Im increasing the width to 52" with additional fences.

I have a permanent mold made of fiberglass, so I can make as many main sections and fences as I want (this also conveniently makes the thing universal).

At this point I just have to get the new fences bolted in and the refinish the surfaces.

Also I plan on making a gurney flap along the upper trailing edge of the diffuser to add stability to the unit.

Mounting brackets are planned on being carbon. I already have the brackets partially done - just have to remove them from the one time foam molds and refinish them.

After the diffuser is finished and mounted Im planning on removing the front valence to eliminate the high pressure zone it creates and then making a front undertray as well as tunneled front fender liners (one piece carbon - the brake ducting will come from the radiator area) but without a splitter in order to keep the aero drag as low as possible. Additionally, I plan on modding the hood with vents made of fiberglass, and then eventually making a full pin on carbon hood from that...

The biggest stall is money and time as I have been busy redoing my 60 year old house so the car stuff has had to take a backseat over the last few months...

Thanks for the interest!

EDIT:

Forgot to mention - I modified the muffler section with thrush units (rebranded flowmasters) that I tucked in higher with 4" single tips - this allows much more room for the diffuser. Below are pictures of the diffuser before I decided to widen it:

Last edited by el es tu; 09-02-2014 at 01:03 PM.
Old 09-02-2014, 06:20 PM
el es tu
Safety Car

new fences mocked up:

Old 09-02-2014, 06:55 PM
Bluefire
Le Mans Master

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by F4Gary
I flew F4E's in Holland in the 70's. 32 TFS. Soft wing with slats and no full flaps (or boundry layer control).

Cleared Prime and Synch.
I was an Aircraft Electrician on F-4C/D/E models. 1976 - 78. 52 TFW, Spangdalhem AB, Germany. IIRC, we had some 32 TFS aircraft there too.

Old 09-02-2014, 10:17 PM
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by el es tu
new fences mocked up:

Becks dark?
Old 09-03-2014, 06:58 AM
el es tu
Safety Car

warsteiner pilsner

Old 09-03-2014, 11:59 AM
Bad Karma
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

That is a great looking piece, can't wait to hear your on the track impressions of it.
Old 09-03-2014, 07:27 PM
rabrooks
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

I'm working on it. It'll be ready by spring. The dealer had my car for a long time so I wasn't able to work on it. Here's the thread that follows the build.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...rformance.html

I did get a chance to try it out on the track but the engine blew two laps in so I wasn't able to gain any info.

When its done I'm going to make a mold for the foil and molds for the attaching fences.
Cheers

Last edited by rabrooks; 09-03-2014 at 07:31 PM.
Old 01-06-2015, 12:27 PM
el es tu
Safety Car

This project seems neverending! New carbon fiber brackets are in the works, as I didnt like the design of the first set. Here are a few updated images I took a couple weeks ago after adding a gurney flap to help stiffen the part up:
Attached Images      
Old 01-06-2015, 09:31 PM
Drifting

You're making two, right?
Old 01-07-2015, 05:51 PM
el es tu
Safety Car

Ive got a permanent mold for the main diffuser body parts so they can be copied indefinitely. The mounts and gurney flap were done with lost mold processes but wouldnt be hard to replicate either

After all the aero parts get mounted (the front undertray and diffuser along with some proper hood ventilation), Ill do some high speed testing this spring (hopefully it will be done by then) to see how the changes affect the vehicle.

Front undertray in a rough, straight from the mold finish:

EDIT: Explanation for the undertray

The undertray removes the center valence and uses a splitterlike shape to help force air to the cooling system, then covers the front subframe terminating around where the oil change items (plug and filter) are exposed.

The front of the base c6 bumper has a foil shape that could work as a diffuser, however the valence creates such a turbulent and high pressure area that it would create lift as well as impede the function of said foil shape in creating any form of downforce

The purpose of the valence is to prevent air from spilling under the car from the front while lowering the coefficient of drag and lowering rear end lift. The downside is front end lift. By flattening out the underside of the car while removing parts such as the front valence, the car can start to reduce overall lift and potentially create downforce - especially if the rear half of the vehicle's underside is going to get covered as well (as in the case of the diffuser)

Last edited by el es tu; 01-07-2015 at 09:21 PM.
Old 01-07-2015, 06:58 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

I have done a lot of wind tunnel work and racing. I can tell you winning teams must use both. I have seen things work in the wind tunnel and much better on track. I have also seen things work great in the wind tunnel and be a complete flop on the track. But, most of the time, wind tunnel testing gives a reasonable prediction of what will happen on the track. Just my 1 cent!

Jim
Old 01-10-2015, 08:23 PM
el es tu
Safety Car

Cut the excess material from the carbon mounts and removed the foam cores; they still need some finishing work but wanted to test them out:

Last edited by el es tu; 01-10-2015 at 08:29 PM.
Old 03-05-2015, 10:38 PM
Drifting

Ive got a permanent mold for the main diffuser body parts so they can be copied indefinitely. The mounts and gurney flap were done with lost mold processes but wouldnt be hard to replicate either

After all the aero parts get mounted (the front undertray and diffuser along with some proper hood ventilation), Ill do some high speed testing this spring (hopefully it will be done by then) to see how the changes affect the vehicle.

Front undertray in a rough, straight from the mold finish:

EDIT: Explanation for the undertray

The undertray removes the center valence and uses a splitterlike shape to help force air to the cooling system, then covers the front subframe terminating around where the oil change items (plug and filter) are exposed.

The front of the base c6 bumper has a foil shape that could work as a diffuser, however the valence creates such a turbulent and high pressure area that it would create lift as well as impede the function of said foil shape in creating any form of downforce

The purpose of the valence is to prevent air from spilling under the car from the front while lowering the coefficient of drag and lowering rear end lift. The downside is front end lift. By flattening out the underside of the car while removing parts such as the front valence, the car can start to reduce overall lift and potentially create downforce - especially if the rear half of the vehicle's underside is going to get covered as well (as in the case of the diffuser)

How many layers did you use for the undertray?
Old 03-06-2015, 09:56 AM
el es tu
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 383
How many layers did you use for the undertray?
3 layers of 6oz twill carbon... I was hesitant about the strength, but the design made it stiff enough. With that part I used male and female molds and compressed the crap out of it after squeegeeing out as much excess epoxy as possible. It turned out so light that I can pick it up with my pinky.

Now if the weather would cooperate I could get the darned thing installed!

Old 03-06-2015, 09:49 PM
Drifting

3 layers of 6oz twill carbon... I was hesitant about the strength, but the design made it stiff enough. With that part I used male and female molds and compressed the crap out of it after squeegeeing out as much excess epoxy as possible. It turned out so light that I can pick it up with my pinky.

Now if the weather would cooperate I could get the darned thing installed!

I know it was 6* this morning...... 6
Old 07-04-2015, 05:05 PM
Drifting

Alright I'm sick of waiting
Old 07-06-2015, 06:36 PM
el es tu
Safety Car

ok this is weird... I just finished the part today and youre bringing this thread back up!

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-diffuser.html

Quick Reply: someone make this...and sell it to me