Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's the best driving school near Houston?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2002, 12:27 PM
mgaskins
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's the best driving school near Houston?

What is the best one or two-day driving school near Houston? I'd like to improve my basic road rally skills so I don't embarass myself at an SCCA event again. I've heard of schools in College Station, but could you give me specifics?

Thanks!
Old 06-02-2002, 06:18 PM
jiml94
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: What's the best driving school near Houston? (mgaskins)

What kind of driving school are you interested in? If you would like to improve your car handling skills at speed, I strongly recommend looking at The Porsche Lonestar PCA Driver Ed events run at Texas World Speedway (TWS) in College Station, or the TWS Motorsports Club DE events held at the same track. Go to http://WWW.texasworldspeedway.com for details. Other sites can be found by going to the http://www.houscca.com website under links to clubs. These schools have in car instructors that ride with you and teach you performance driving (not racing). They cost about $275 per weekend and are offered 4-5 times a year. See their sites for details. Your car must pass a detailed safety check including brakes and brake fluid . You can use street tires as long as they [pass also. These safety checks are done in Houston before you get to the track. A helmetI( SA or MA Snell 95 )is required but you usually can use one of their spares.

[Modified by jiml94, 4:20 PM 6/2/2002]
Old 06-03-2002, 04:00 PM
David Lively
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: What's the best driving school near Houston? (mgaskins)

I agree with Jim for the most part; TWS is a great track and especially forgiving to new drivers. However, I would avoid participating with the Motorsport Club; they're not very selective about who they let instruct. Just ask yourself if you want a Boxster driver who's never instructed before riding shotgun, telling you what to do.

A lot of people love the PCA in that region; of these organizations I'd go with the PCA. Check the track schedule ( http://www.texasworldspeedway.com ) to see who's running an event that corresponds with your schedule.

If this is your first event, you'll want fresh fluid and (if you haven't changed your brake pads in the last 6 months) new STOCK pads. Call Fichtner for a great deal on stock 'Vette pads. Make sure your tires are in great shape, borrow a helmet and have a great time.

Get notified of new replies

To What's the best driving school near Houston?

Quick Reply: What's the best driving school near Houston?