Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Towing questions NJ

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 11:08 PM
2 GTOs
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '11-'12

Default Towing questions NJ

I am pretty certain I am going to pick up a Trailex 8045.

I have a few questions. It is 8.5 feet wide. It looks like NJ only allows 8 feet. Curious whether anyone has had issues with this.

http://www.readybrake.com/state_laws.html#NJ

Tow vehicle is a Nissan Armada. What brand/type of load equalizing hitch do you recommend?

The vehicle is prewied for an electric brake controller. Which controller is recommended?

The vehicle has a 7 pin connector. Will that control lights and the electric bakes or should I be looking for other wiring?

Thanks

Last edited by 2 GTOs; 09-17-2012 at 11:19 PM.
Old 09-18-2012, 05:35 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 2 GTOs

I have a few questions. It is 8.5 feet wide. It looks like NJ only allows 8 feet. Curious whether anyone has had issues with this.

Tow vehicle is a Nissan Armada. What brand/type of load equalizing hitch do you recommend?

The vehicle is prewied for an electric brake controller. Which controller is recommended?

The vehicle has a 7 pin connector. Will that control lights and the electric bakes or should I be looking for other wiring?

Thanks
all new semi's are 8.5' I don't see a problem
Old 09-18-2012, 07:58 AM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,029 Likes on 1,315 Posts

I think that the 8' limit may only apply to State roads. Federal highways within the state, should allow 8'.6" wide trailers. You should be okay on all of the interstates, except maybe the Garden State Parkway and the Atlantic City Expressway?

I can't imagine it really would be a problem, on any roads in the State though. I've lived my whole life in NJ, and owned many trailers over the years, and never even thought about how wide any of them were.

Personally, I always buy trucks with the factory hitch, but if I was adding one to a vehicle, I think the only choice would be Reese Draw-Tite.

I have been using the same Tekonsha brake controller, for 12 or 13 years. I've had it in 4 different trucks, and it's worked great.

The 7 pin connector is pretty much standard, for trailers with electric brakes.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:31 AM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by gbvette62
I have been using the same Tekonsha brake controller, for 12 or 13 years. I've had it in 4 different trucks, and it's worked great.
I had a Tekonsha Prodigy in my last truck and it was great. My current truck has a built-in controller so I sold it to a friend.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:31 AM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Received 297 Likes on 78 Posts

Thanks
102' or 8.5 feet is the standard for all major roads. Look at the Prodigy for your brake controller and most of the brake controllers have a wire harness with them that will plug right into your wiring harness on the Armada. And yes that work everything through the 7 pin on the back of the Armada. Any good equalizer hitch will work just fine but I would wait to buy it! I have several friends that have that trailer and don't need a equalizer hitch to tow it. It all depends on how you load the trailer and what you end up with for tongue weight. Although I think the equalizer hitch is a good idea because it helps distribute the tongue weight to all four wheels of the tow vehicle. Drop me an email and I can give you the name and # of one of the guys that has and uses that trailer all of the time, he would be happy to talk to you about it. JD
Old 09-18-2012, 08:43 AM
Vette53
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 on the Prodigy brake controller
Old 09-18-2012, 11:50 AM
2 GTOs
Pro

St. Jude Donor '11-'12

Originally Posted by Vette53
Looks like there are a few. Do you recommend the P2 or P3

I'm not sure what to look for in one of these.

Thanks
Old 09-18-2012, 12:01 PM
Vette53
Instructor

I have the P2 and works just fine. The P3 has several "trailer" memory settings you can save along with a couple other features. I don't see a need for them. I adjust my controller each time I pull my trailers. I have a 18 foot open trailer that I haul different cars on as well as a fairly heavy tractor. I also have a 28 foot enclosed trailer. My point being that I would not use the memory feature of the P3 anyway.
Old 09-18-2012, 12:36 PM
2 GTOs
Pro

St. Jude Donor '11-'12

Thanks. I just spoke to the Trailex people and they said that I can't (and don't need), a weight distribution hitch on this trailer.

With this said, they also suggested that I consider the surge brakes as it may be a bit more simple, and give greater flexibility. The truck is already wired for a controller. Opinions?

So I will need a ball hitch, brake controller (maybe), Safety chains (recommendations please).

Anything else to get this trailer home?

Thanks for being patient.
Old 09-18-2012, 12:48 PM
Vette53
Instructor

No load leveling hitch needed for sure... I use one on my 28 foot enclosed trailer but not the open trailer. My open trailer is steel not aluminum like the one your getting so the gross weight of your setup will be even less than mine. Typically the trailer will come with safety chains. Just get a Reese hitch and ball of the appropriate size to fit your receiver and trailer tongue. The hitch will come in several flavors of "drop" depending on the truck height.

If you are buying from a dealer they will simply outfit your vehicle with everything you need, at a cost of course.
Old 09-18-2012, 01:58 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get a controller, don't skimp with the surge brakes.
Old 09-18-2012, 02:16 PM
Vette53
Instructor

oh yeah... forgot that as well

Do Not Get Surge Brakes

I had them on a boat trailer and they suck
Old 09-18-2012, 03:46 PM
jlutherva
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette53
+2, I have the Prodigy 3 and love it, but never use the memory feature.

Jim
Old 09-18-2012, 08:04 PM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Received 297 Likes on 78 Posts

DO NOT GET SURGE BRAKES!!! surge brakes require the tow vehicle to provide the stopping power to actuate the surge brakes. I other words, if in wet weather the tow vehicle starts to slide, the trailer brakes do not actuate!!! You want electric brakes with a controller. I can't believe Trailex would recommend surge brakes on a car trailer. Boat trailers use them because electric brakes do not do well when being put in water on a continuous basis. How ever even the boat trailer industry is starting to us electric brakes more than before. JD
Old 09-18-2012, 08:48 PM
2 GTOs
Pro

St. Jude Donor '11-'12

Maybe misunderstood them.
So this is where I am at:

7,121 8045EB
616 tire rack
362 aluminum wheels
271 aluminum spare
50 spare mount
-----
(750) show credit
----

Not a cheap proposition, but at 900 lbs I can push it on the side of the house with some help. Not allowed to keep it on the driveway. It should pull easily behind the armada. It will be 1.5 feet to close to the property line, but I will plant bushes around it, probably not use the tire rack for a while to keep it low and cover it with a cammo tarp.

Hoping for the best. If interested, keep an eye out in the for sale section if the neighbors give me a hard time. I will then be looking for a featherlight or Trailex enclosed to strain the Armada and keep in a public storage lot.

Last edited by 2 GTOs; 09-18-2012 at 10:30 PM.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:20 AM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
St Jude Donor '13

Maybe misunderstood them.
So this is where I am at:

7,121 8045EB
616 tire rack
362 aluminum wheels
271 aluminum spare
50 spare mount
-----
(750) show credit
----

Not a cheap proposition, but at 900 lbs I can push it on the side of the house with some help. Not allowed to keep it on the driveway. It should pull easily behind the armada. It will be 1.5 feet to close to the property line, but I will plant bushes around it, probably not use the tire rack for a while to keep it low and cover it with a cammo tarp.

Hoping for the best. If interested, keep an eye out in the for sale section if the neighbors give me a hard time. I will then be looking for a featherlight or Trailex enclosed to strain the Armada and keep in a public storage lot.

I think you have a good plan there Dom and we'll keep our fingers crossed for ya that the neighbors don't throw a fit. If they do... well let Val and me know, might be an easy sale.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:31 AM
2 GTOs
Pro

St. Jude Donor '11-'12

Originally Posted by TheKomoman
I think you have a good plan there Dom and we'll keep our fingers crossed for ya that the neighbors don't throw a fit. If they do... well let Val and me know, might be an easy sale.
Went back to the garage on Saturday and there was another black widow on the garage door. I need the car out ASAP, but the wife doesn't want it at the house until I am sure it is spider free.....

Trailex said they would give me a few passes to get into Carlisle. I am shooting for oct 6 to pick up the trailer there. I will probably go alone so let me know if you are interested in a pass.

Get notified of new replies

To Towing questions NJ

Old 09-19-2012, 09:27 AM
bsalie99
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow that is a lot of cash for an open trailer, I would have gone with a kwik-load and saved a ton of money and had a trailer that is easier to work with
Old 09-19-2012, 09:32 AM
2 GTOs
Pro

St. Jude Donor '11-'12

Originally Posted by bsalie99
Wow that is a lot of cash for an open trailer, I would have gone with a kwik-load and saved a ton of money and had a trailer that is easier to work with
I have not pulled the trigger yet, but the problem finding one light enough that I can push up a hill on the side of the house.

I am still open to suggestions if you can point me to one.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:52 AM
PaConehead
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Dom,

Sounds like you have a plan - except for the spiders!! I live right in Carlisle and will be at the show at least part of all 4 days so keep me in mind if you get to the show or you need anything .

Mike

Quick Reply: Towing questions NJ