Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

National Corvette Museum Motorsports Park

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 12:34 AM
MJM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default National Corvette Museum Motorsports Park

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/09/17/c...sports-park-s/

I'm in.

Where do I invest and how many track days does it get me?

Matt
Old 09-18-2012, 08:44 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

You can get information about the NCM Motorpsorts Park on the NCM website

There are a number of way to donate; the webpage has a "Donations" tab where you can find information.

The architect is the same person that did the design work for The Ridge Motorsports Park here in WA. From my experience at The Ridge, the NCM facility will be world-class
Old 09-19-2012, 08:41 AM
rocsvette
Pro

Received 164 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by MJM

I'm in.

Matt
contact me directly at roc@corvettemuseum.org
Old 10-20-2012, 05:54 PM
QIK59
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by MJM

I'm in.

Matt
Probably NONE !

I live in Canada I'm just a regular "joe" , when they went to build the museum I was going to buy a brick to help get it going.

I figured (hoped) a benefit of buying a brick (founding member blah blah blah ) should entitle me to free admission should I have occasion to be there.

NOPE ! No way !

I believe you might have got free admission for one year - like how many times are you going to go there ?!

So I really doubt there will be any tangible benefit to donating to the racetrack .

My 2 cents !
Old 10-20-2012, 06:42 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Originally Posted by QIK59
Probably NONE !

I live in Canada I'm just a regular "joe" , when they went to build the museum I was going to buy a brick to help get it going.

I figured (hoped) a benefit of buying a brick (founding member blah blah blah ) should entitle me to free admission should I have occasion to be there.

NOPE ! No way !

I believe you might have got free admission for one year - like how many times are you going to go there ?!

So I really doubt there will be any tangible benefit to donating to the racetrack .

My 2 cents !
I bought a brick, too - the $600 one. Yet, I am able to get free admission because I also have a membership. I am not associated with the museum but I suppose that the up front cost is tremendous. I would imagine that once the track is open then the cost of operating will also be significant and require a fee. If everyone got a free event day for donations it might be the year 2023 before any more money is generated.
Old 10-20-2012, 07:12 PM
QIK59
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

I hear yah there.
Basically what I was saying is don't be so naive / kidding yourself that you might get a free lapping day !!
If you can't get free admission to something like the museum where it is pretty inocuous, it sure ain't gonna happen with a race track.

Now a slightly bigger picture : Who came up with this brainwave (racetrack) - I sure don't think it's the NCRS'ers.
I have heard that the museum is still in debt ?
So how could a racetrack be justified ? and for what purpose ?
Somebody is going to benefit $$ from this and it ain't the dummies whipping around the track !
Old 10-20-2012, 10:13 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

You can donate in exchange for track time....
Old 10-21-2012, 12:08 AM
rocsvette
Pro

Received 164 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by QIK59
I hear yah there.
Basically what I was saying is don't be so naive / kidding yourself that you might get a free lapping day !!
If you can't get free admission to something like the museum where it is pretty inocuous, it sure ain't gonna happen with a race track.

Now a slightly bigger picture : Who came up with this brainwave (racetrack) - I sure don't think it's the NCRS'ers.
I have heard that the museum is still in debt ?
So how could a racetrack be justified ? and for what purpose ?
Somebody is going to benefit $$ from this and it ain't the dummies whipping around the track !
I'd be glad to send you information directly instead of you having to depend on what you heard. Btw as a 501(c)3 non profit the museums finances have to be a matter of public record. Yes we do have some debt, far lower than at any time in the past and its being retired steadily.

Not sure what the reference to the NCRS means but the museum is more than just a building to hold old cars and is aimed at all phases of the Corvette enthusiast demographic. Motorsports has been the most recent addition and so far the program has been very successful and popular.
Old 10-21-2012, 11:06 AM
Larry Myers
Burning Brakes

Received 82 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by rocsvette
I'd be glad to send you information directly instead of you having to depend on what you heard. Btw as a 501(c)3 non profit the museums finances have to be a matter of public record. Yes we do have some debt, far lower than at any time in the past and its being retired steadily.

Not sure what the reference to the NCRS means but the museum is more than just a building to hold old cars and is aimed at all phases of the Corvette enthusiast demographic. Motorsports has been the most recent addition and so far the program has been very successful and popular.
Roc,

Thanks for setting the record straight. I and everyone else familiar with NCM and it's HPDE's fully support the effort to establish a track. The tunnel under I65 is important. At my age, slowing down and getting more difficult to dodge cars while crossing the hiway. lol

Last edited by Larry Myers; 10-21-2012 at 11:10 AM.
Old 10-21-2012, 12:17 PM
QIK59
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by rocsvette

Reference to NCRS means - I believe they originally spearheaded and initiated the idea of a museum ?

What do you mean recent addition : motorsports "program" - please explain ?
Old 10-21-2012, 12:46 PM
k24556
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 205 Likes on 171 Posts

Default Motorsports Program

Well, let's see, there has been a Museum-sponsored 2 day track-day event at VIR that had been an annual event since at least 2008. I think there is an annual event at Autobahn each year, and there is planning to Sebring this next year.

Roc Linkov and a loyal band of volunteers (e.g., Tom Bohlmann and many others), work their buns off to make these great events. I'd call that a motorsports program any day, expecially when you see how much work goes into it and The loyal network of instructors Roc brings to the events.

It is quite a sight to see something over 100 Corvettes at VIR. Being on the track and seeing a line of 'Vettes screaming up the climbing ESSES is a little like the animation of a Star Wars movie.

So to me it is a natural progression to see the Museum growing in the direction of the Motorsports Park. That's why I made a contribution to an acre, hoping for a chance to see the track come to reality and maybe drive it before i get too old.

To me, there is a big difference between a Corvette Owner, and a Corvette Enthusiast. Think of the possibility: a future Caravan to Corvette Mecca and besides all the celebratin', a chance to hit the track for some REAL Corvette thrills.

Roc, thanks for your guidance and patience with all of us Corvette Owners, and Corvette Enthusiasts.

Brian K
Old 10-21-2012, 03:05 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

QIK59, I misunderstood your first posting. Now I see that you did not actually buy a brick but were going to. The museum is a first class entity that is as dynamic as one can get. One can receive delivery of new car there, many social gatherings, HPDE events are growing each year. I am not sure of the number but last year at VIR there were 250 vehicles, 240 of which were vettes? Now, the building of the track adjacent to the museum that will be world class is bringing a whole new dimension. I have noticed many other exhibits there that engage the whole family including children. Many of which offer active participation such as driving simulations and car maintenance displays. I believe a few of your Canadian brethren have attended some of the events. Check it out in the near future.

Get notified of new replies

To National Corvette Museum Motorsports Park

Quick Reply: National Corvette Museum Motorsports Park