Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My AMP and SCMC/TCUSA HPDE review...

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 01:10 PM
bags142
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Default My AMP and SCMC/TCUSA HPDE review...

This was my 1st time running with SCMC/TCUSA and my 1st time driving at Atlanta Motorsports Park (AMP).

1st off, I emailed Tony back in June and he said they would not cancel the event, so I signed up. They had 18 drivers. Yes, 18. I am sure that did not cover cost of the track. But, true to his word, they did not cancel. All of the staff were friendly and nice. There was so much track time that I did about 20% of it. There were 2 groups, Green and Blue/White combo. There was 5 hrs for sat and 5 hrs sun for the blu/wht combo. Yeah, 10 hrs of driving on the track at speed for a 2 day event. All of the driver's were nice and safe on the track. They had some AI cars and yeah they were fast but, they were not unsafe in a "slow" HPDE setting. In the paddock everyone was friendly and just plain nice.

I will happily run with them again.

Now on AMP. I have been there 3 times as a spectator and this time as a driver. They are 1st class. All of the staff are friendly and treated everyone of the group awesome from what I saw. They have been very nice and helpful every time I have been there. I am not a member, but with how I was treated, I felt like I was one. And the track ammenties are comming along quickly. The track is like driving up in blood mountian. Seriously. I really like it. It is challenging and much different than the 4 tracks I have been on. And it is great to have another option within 70 miles of the house!
Old 09-24-2012, 04:09 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

WOW only 18 cars ! Someone really took a hit on that event. Glad that you liked the new track. AMP and Road Atlanta are on my bucket list for the next year or two.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:44 AM
bags142
Pro

Originally Posted by CHJ In Virginia
WOW only 18 cars ! Someone really took a hit on that event. Glad that you liked the new track. AMP and Road Atlanta are on my bucket list for the next year or two.
Yeah.. and we had 15 in our group... as seen in this video.. it looks as if nobody is on the track other than the 2 vette's....

Last edited by bags142; 09-26-2012 at 07:36 PM.
Old 09-25-2012, 12:04 PM
rithsleeper
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Really want to go and heard nothing but good things. Hope they get attendance up, would hate to see a track go under. I think its prob the fact it is sooo far out from atl. Im in sumter sc and it would be about a 4.5 hour drive if i was towing, 3 if driving the vette . It looks really fun with all the elevation change.
Old 09-25-2012, 01:36 PM
bags142
Pro

Originally Posted by rithsleeper
Really want to go and heard nothing but good things. Hope they get attendance up, would hate to see a track go under. I think its prob the fact it is sooo far out from atl. Im in sumter sc and it would be about a 4.5 hour drive if i was towing, 3 if driving the vette . It looks really fun with all the elevation change.

I think they are doing well in the membership area, but hpde attendance is the question. IMHO, I think they are getting a bum deal of the perception of the sound limit.

The PCA event this weekend has 60+ cars...

And on distance... without actually checking mileage, I bet it is close (+/-7 miles) to the same distance as road atlanta from city center. And depending on where you live, AMP is closer than RA. I am in Marietta and AMP is closer and quicker to get to.

And I still new to this, have done Nashville superspeedway, TGPR, RRR, RA and now AMP. AMP is so much different. Very fun, but also a real challenge to find the line for me. But, that makes it fun and exciting.
Old 09-25-2012, 02:56 PM
repman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bags142
Yeah.. and we had 15 in our group... as seen in this video.. it looks as if nobody is on the track other than the 2 vette's....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4VCs...1&feature=plcp
Bags nice video , I really like that track ! I think if you go to 2nd gear on turn 1 and turn 6 you might find some time there.

I noticed in the video that you were in 3rd gear for those corners.

I have a C-5 also and 2nd is about perfect for me out of those tight turns.

Last edited by repman; 09-25-2012 at 05:15 PM.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:38 PM
BTTBSS
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

The noise limit is 98 db at 50 feet. None of the cars this week-end had a problem including the AI cars. Hopefully the word will get out that the noise limitation is not that bad. I had an excellent time and more importantly so did my wife. They spent 3.5 million on the go cart track I wonder what the big track cost?
Old 09-25-2012, 10:23 PM
930man
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my cars will never pass the DBA at a 1/4 mile
Old 09-25-2012, 10:31 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

I had no problems there with headers, gutted cats, original Ti mufflers and oversize cam making 418rwhp C5Z. The noise limit seems very reasonable. Even should a car exceed it, there are baffles on site to fix most vehicles.
Old 09-26-2012, 01:32 PM
bags142
Pro

Originally Posted by repman
Bags nice video , I really like that track ! I think if you go to 2nd gear on turn 1 and turn 6 you might find some time there.

I noticed in the video that you were in 3rd gear for those corners.

I have a C-5 also and 2nd is about perfect for me out of those tight turns.

You are correct about the track and 2nd gear. I am still new to this and my throttle control sometimes is a little lacking, so by staying in 3rd, it help me control throttle tip in better and I felt my controled.

I did a nice drift on sunday at turn 6 in 2nd..lol.. no vid tho

Originally Posted by BTTBSS
The noise limit is 98 db at 50 feet. None of the cars this week-end had a problem including the AI cars. Hopefully the word will get out that the noise limitation is not that bad. I had an excellent time and more importantly so did my wife. They spent 3.5 million on the go cart track I wonder what the big track cost?
I was in the blue vette, which car were you in?
Old 09-26-2012, 04:10 PM
BTTBSS
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Amp

The Black Impala with the polished tail pipes. There were two of us Bobby had the other Impala. My paint is better but he is faster.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:42 PM
bags142
Pro

Originally Posted by BTTBSS
The Black Impala with the polished tail pipes. There were two of us Bobby had the other Impala. My paint is better but he is faster.
Ahh... It was nice to meet you and your wife

Those things were cool to see out there on the track!!!!

Get notified of new replies

To My AMP and SCMC/TCUSA HPDE review...

Quick Reply: My AMP and SCMC/TCUSA HPDE review...