Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NCCAR w/ Gripfest 3

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 03:06 PM
oh1vette
Safety Car

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

Default NCCAR w/ Gripfest 3

hey all, anybody ever run with this group or this event....

http://myautoevents.com/pls/mae/frmE...event_id=13452

Asked for some details on format:

3 heats, with each heat getting a morning and afternoon session. We break up the heats based on the number of entries we have. If we have 45 entries, each heat would have 15 cars.
Heat one drivers line up on the access road to the track. Each car gets a standing start, after a period of time (usually about 30 seconds) the next car gets sent out on track. When you're done with your lap, you loop around and get back in line. You will be handed a time slip with the time you just ran (and all your previous runs). The heat lasts an hour and you keep getting in line until your time is up. This allows for about 5 runs on the track.
We repeat the process with Heat two, then three.
We take a 30 minute break for lunch so the event staff can eat and take a quick breather.
Heat one drivers line back up and it starts all over again for the afternoon session, again for an hour. Then heat two and then three.

Seems like a good deal for $150...
Old 09-25-2012, 03:40 PM
k24556
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 205 Likes on 171 Posts

I've been on the track once. The pit out road that was used was halfway down the big straight. The pit in was just after the last turn just as you get on the long straight. If you do one lap and they use the roads like that, then you will lose maybe 1/8 mile of the track.

Not sure how they would time it unless they reversed the pit in/pit out, and with the overlap, there might be a little confusion going on.

Maybe there are other roads that are in and out, but I didn't see any (wasn't looking either). The roads are gravel in most places, so it would be slow driving. you will lose a lap every time you get in line, so at $150 compared to a HPDE day, it might not be the tracktime/hour it appears. It would really depend on how efficiently the event was run.

We ran VIR last Friday with ReZoom and had 5 30 minute sessions for $250.

All that being said about entry price, that is usually the cheapest part of an event. Add up a tank of gas, trip gas, brake fluid tire wear, brake pad wear, and the entry fee ends up the smallest expense.

So I'd reserve an opinion until I saw how they did it. otherwise, NCCAR is a neat track for a fun day. Oh yea, Fill up at take EVERYTHING you need. No facilities, not even shade. If you take a lady-friend, be sure they have been porta-potty solo qualified. otherwise you will have some complaints to listen to (don't forget the Charmin!!!).
Old 09-25-2012, 10:47 PM
jcsperson
Team Owner

Received 745 Likes on 429 Posts
NC Events Coordinator

I might be interested in that.

Hmmmn, just a month away....
Old 09-26-2012, 07:27 AM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

working link: http://myautoevents.com/pls/mae/frmE...event_id=13452
Old 09-26-2012, 09:01 AM
oh1vette
Safety Car

^^^
Thanks el

jc, yeah I'm planning on going....

k2, definately ViR hands down, couldn't make the ReZoom event but that was a good deal too...I did an event at NCCAR with the Easatern NC Vette club and the building at the entrance was open for restrooms and A/C then....not walking distance as you know, but at least a place to get out of the heat(hahaha), which shouldn't be an issue this time. Also pretty good at that event they had a food truck in that area behind the tower...
Old 09-26-2012, 11:48 AM
Black89Z51
Suckin' gas, haulin' ass.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I've been there for GripFest 1 and 2. Good event and can't beat the money. I was in my CTS-V for the first one, and my Vette at the 2nd one. I'm not sure if work is going to permit me going to this one, but if it is, I will be attending.

The event is run pretty well. They use a laser timing system and have about 3 cars on track at any single time. The only thing that kills it is if a car goes off or breaks. I've run both events counte-clockwise, but this time it's going clockwise so I think it will be interesting.

The only thing I don't like about the track is the 270 degree "turn". It's a killer for wet-sumps. I had oil coming out of my dipstick tube on the CCW direction. (Canton RR pan). Just run it about a quart over full.

Last edited by Black89Z51; 09-26-2012 at 11:52 AM.
Old 09-26-2012, 01:19 PM
oh1vette
Safety Car

A little more info on how its run, Thanks to Jenny at Gripfest:

I've attached a 'diagram' of how we plan to run it. This is from an old diagram and does not show where the second access road is now, but that is where we will be entering (next to the spectator area). But the red line I drew represents the start line, you take off from there and go left. You go all the way around the track. The blue line represents the finish line. Once you cross that, you are on the brakes. The yellow dot represents the pivot cone you will go around once you are done with your lap. You should have plenty of space to slow down safely without having to worry about coming into the finish "too slow".

Too bad you don't get the full front straightaway but what the heck should be fun anyway....give these new Nittos I got a workout in the turns

Get notified of new replies

To NCCAR w/ Gripfest 3

Quick Reply: NCCAR w/ Gripfest 3