Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is control arm bushing repl a diy?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 11:13 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Is control arm bushing repl a diy?

I have 6 weeks until my next track day (work and anniversary commitments). Here is what my left front ca bushing looks like:

I did VIR last Friday with it and it was virtually unchanged afterwards. I am thinking now is a good time to change as I have one track day left in Nov (VIR or RD ATL) and a 2 day at Daytona in Dec. I found bags $10 Home Depot install set up, so will that work to remove? I think I have access to a press but not sure how big. Also, is the Pfadt poly the only real option for 12 days/yr hpde car? So will I need to do all at once or just fronts now and rears over the winter? Would it be better to just take off and ship to someone and have them do them? I am not really comfortable shaving ca diameters or trimming bushings. Thanks in advance for help.
Old 09-27-2012, 11:40 AM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 370 Likes on 306 Posts

I changed them on my C4 was it was pretty easy. I used my vice and still do not have a press. I have had bushings a bit to long before and just trim them by holding them on the belt sander. The flat side of the bench grinder wheel also works well.
Old 09-27-2012, 05:14 PM
Pfadt Racing
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by waddisme
I have 6 weeks until my next track day (work and anniversary commitments). Here is what my left front ca bushing looks like:

I did VIR last Friday with it and it was virtually unchanged afterwards. I am thinking now is a good time to change as I have one track day left in Nov (VIR or RD ATL) and a 2 day at Daytona in Dec. I found bags $10 Home Depot install set up, so will that work to remove? I think I have access to a press but not sure how big. Also, is the Pfadt poly the only real option for 12 days/yr hpde car? So will I need to do all at once or just fronts now and rears over the winter? Would it be better to just take off and ship to someone and have them do them? I am not really comfortable shaving ca diameters or trimming bushings. Thanks in advance for help.
Our control arm bushings aren't the only option out there, but we definitely feel that they are the best option available. If you can handle removing the factory rubber bushings from the control arms you can definitely handle trimming the front upper bushings to your particular control arms. It's really not as tricky as it sounds and the newly trimmed edge doesn't need to be absolutely perfect for it to function properly. You just need to remove enough material so there is a gap between the two bushings on the front uppers. Other than that there is no other trimming or special work involved. If you're comfortable pushing out the factory bushings you should be just fine completing the rest of the install.
Old 09-27-2012, 05:27 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I agree, you can do it yourself if you are reasonable proficient with tools and can read instructions. The worst part is getting the old bushing out of the A arm. You can always remove The A arms and take to a local shop that has a press and have the shop push the bushings out. There have been several recent threads on various methods to remove the bushings.
Old 09-27-2012, 07:55 PM
VGLNTE1
Le Mans Master

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

My bushings look the same. Was wondering what the best way was to get those out.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:26 PM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by VGLNTE1
My bushings look the same. Was wondering what the best way was to get those out.
Stick the rear most ear of the rear bushing in a vise and clamp it so you can spin the A arm. Twist around. In about one turn the bushing will be off.

Take the rear bushing out and flip it over and put it in from the front pointing toward the back. A press is the easiest way.

Put it back on the car.

Reallign it

Done
Old 09-27-2012, 10:45 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

It's a very time consuming job - especially if you've never done it before.

I have a set of arms (off the car) that already have Pfadt poly bushings installed. I'll swap for yours plus cash if you're interested.
Old 09-28-2012, 12:31 AM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I always say this on this topic, so I will say it again, my mom installed Pfadt polys on my prior set of control arms a few years ago. I cut some of the bushings in half and yanked the dog bone bushings out (on a vice). She did the rest.
Old 09-28-2012, 04:23 AM
taken19
Track Junky

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Tech Contributor

As others have said it's not too bad, just time consuming. Plan on spending the better part of a day on this. I needed machine shop help on two of the bushings (on the rear LCA's I think) since I have the most basic tools. Used a vise to install new ones.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:47 AM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

If you don't have them already, it would be smart to add locking camber blocks when you do the bushings.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:02 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by sperkins
It's a very time consuming job - especially if you've never done it before.

I have a set of arms (off the car) that already have Pfadt poly bushings installed. I'll swap for yours plus cash if you're interested.
YES - very interested. Do you have both front uppers, as the passenger one is headed that way also. Are you talking about the Pfadt Camber adj kit? If I need to do that, I wouldn't mind doing it while I am at it.

Thanks.
Old 09-28-2012, 12:46 PM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Received 295 Likes on 76 Posts

The easiest way to get the old bushings out, is to cut off the end with a serrated knife. Then push them straight out with a vise. And the easiest way to install the new ones is with a 12" 5/8" threded rod and some nuts and washers. As shown in one the threads on the forum. Once I use these methods, it took less than an hour to do all of them. JD
Old 09-28-2012, 10:54 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

YES - very interested. Do you have both front uppers, as the passenger one is headed that way also. Are you talking about the Pfadt Camber adj kit? If I need to do that, I wouldn't mind doing it while I am at it.

Thanks.
I have 7 of the 8 control arms ready to go at the moment. I'll have the other one done soon. I make my own camber blocks, but they're made with maximum offset to the max camber that the cradle will allow. Many of the local SE drivers use them. I have two sets available.

The Pfadt kit includes several blocks with varying offsets that allow some adjustment. Of all the vendor supplied camber kits, I think the Pfadt one is the best.
Old 09-29-2012, 12:31 AM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

get the cheap press from harbor freight fro $120 it is worth it's weight in gold!!

i did my 1st set in a garage with no power and only a vice mounted on a 6x6 piece of wood and a torch, that was a fun mess!

thankfully my 2nd set i did for a friend was alot easier in my house with full power and good tools
Old 09-30-2012, 10:01 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

After calling my Mom yesterday (it was her birthday) and even though she can't come help, I think I am going to give it a shot. Do I need to do all at once or just do them as they need it?,

Also, do I really need the camber blocks? I track my car in advanced hpde 2 days a month and dd drive the rest of the time. I may pm David Farmer as he does my alignment.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:12 AM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

After calling my Mom yesterday (it was her birthday) and even though she can't come help, I think I am going to give it a shot. Do I need to do all at once or just do them as they need it?,

Also, do I really need the camber blocks? I track my car in advanced hpde 2 days a month and dd drive the rest of the time. I may pm David Farmer as he does my alignment.
Here is a vid of my doing the rear upper install with hand tools, they are all about the same. You do not need to do them all at once.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3K94lODO00&feature=plcp
Old 10-01-2012, 09:44 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Already watched . Definitely getting the ball joint separator tool, buy or rent. Friend has a press to get old ones out, and will make the Home Depot tool to install. I am sure I will be back for more help.

Get notified of new replies

To Is control arm bushing repl a diy?

Old 10-01-2012, 11:28 AM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

The really is no need to buy a ball joint tool. The uppers come apart with very little effort from a pry bar. Use a hammer (strike the nut) for the lowers. Been doing it this way for years. Quick and easy.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:36 AM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Already watched . Definitely getting the ball joint separator tool, buy or rent. Friend has a press to get old ones out, and will make the Home Depot tool to install. I am sure I will be back for more help.
If you use the ball joint tool from HF another forum member and I found that the "throat" needs to be opened up about 1/4 inch with a die grinder to fit around the tapered part of the BJ to get it seated all the way on to pop it.

The upper DOES separate easily, on the lower I prefer not to "beat it off", it'll work but the alloy gets all dented up, I know because I've done it. It's just cosmetic, but still leaves the arm looking like you wrapped the car around a pole or something.

Old 10-01-2012, 12:08 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

You're not supposed to hit the alloy (the arm). Unscrew the nut to the top of the ball joint stud so you don't mess up the threads and hit that.

Quick Reply: Is control arm bushing repl a diy?