Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harness on stock ZR1 seats

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 02:48 PM
whatcop?
Le Mans Master

Location: Daytona Beach/ Atlanta---- Good Ol' Florida Boy/ Georgia
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Default Harness on stock ZR1 seats

Is it possible to run a 4 or 6 point harness system on stock ZR1 seats? I'm a skinny guy and so I'm getting tossed around like a rag doll.
Old 09-28-2012, 03:35 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Not really. The shoulder harnesses have to wrap around the seat which means they can come off your shoulders in an incident. Stock belt also goes around the seat but since it is only one side your body pivots forward and around the shoulder belt thus holding it and the lap belt tight during an incident.

If you are in the 5' 10" range you can get your stock belts and seat to do a credible job holding you in if you use the seat bolster bladders and the seat belt cinch feature. Blow the bladders up all the way, move your seat all the way to the rear, then using the power seat switch tilt the seat backwards. Then fasten the belt, pull the shoulder belt out until it stops and release, put your right hand on the shoulder belt where it goes through the latch and pull it up and backwards to make the lap belt tight across your waste. As you are doing that feed the slack in the shoulder belt into the shoulder belt take up reel in the quarter panel. Once the belt is as tight as you can get it use the power seat switch to run the seat forward until the lap belt feels like it is going to cut you in half. The shoulder belt should also be so tight that you would have a hard time breathing if you were breathing hard. I just did this at my last track event instead of using my race seats. It worked quite well.

Bill
Old 09-28-2012, 04:14 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Not really. The shoulder harnesses have to wrap around the seat which means they can come off your shoulders in an incident. Stock belt also goes around the seat but since it is only one side your body pivots forward and around the shoulder belt thus holding it and the lap belt tight during an incident.

If you are in the 5' 10" range you can get your stock belts and seat to do a credible job holding you in if you use the seat bolster bladders and the seat belt cinch feature. Blow the bladders up all the way, move your seat all the way to the rear, then using the power seat switch tilt the seat backwards. Then fasten the belt, pull the shoulder belt out until it stops and release, put your right hand on the shoulder belt where it goes through the latch and pull it up and backwards to make the lap belt tight across your waste. As you are doing that feed the slack in the shoulder belt into the shoulder belt take up reel in the quarter panel. Once the belt is as tight as you can get it use the power seat switch to run the seat forward until the lap belt feels like it is going to cut you in half. The shoulder belt should also be so tight that you would have a hard time breathing if you were breathing hard. I just did this at my last track event instead of using my race seats. It worked quite well.

Bill

5/6 point belts can seperate upon impact and send you through the windshield...AND you should never use harness without a HANS device (eg. bobble head).

I dealt with this situation early on and it is all or nothing, stock set up or full race seat with harness and HANS. In my opinion any kind of combination of the two is not safe.
Old 09-28-2012, 04:40 PM
taken19
Track Junky

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by 95jersey
5/6 point belts can seperate upon impact and send you through the windshield...
Can you explain? Do you mean come unclipped or the shoulder harness straps spread allowing your upper body to become a victim of momentum?
Old 09-28-2012, 05:52 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by taken19
Can you explain? Do you mean come unclipped or the shoulder harness straps spread allowing your upper body to become a victim of momentum?
That is it

Most if not all clubs require the shoulder harness to run though the back of the seat, not around.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:02 PM
whatcop?
Le Mans Master

Yeah I am 6'2'' at 175lbs. Small fry I know. Ok so the hunt for a seat continues.

And Bill I do the whole scoot the seat back, cinch the belt and edge up but its not enough. I got out after 2 days at Road Atlanta this past time with bruises on the sides of both of my knees.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:45 PM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by whatcop?
Yeah I am 6'2'' at 175lbs. Small fry I know. Ok so the hunt for a seat continues.

And Bill I do the whole scoot the seat back, cinch the belt and edge up but its not enough. I got out after 2 days at Road Atlanta this past time with bruises on the sides of both of my knees.
I had the same issue...A good race seat makes a BIG difference. I went with the Cobra Suzuka on Arizen sliders, and a scroth 6 point harness. At 6'2" you are likely not going to be able to use sliders.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:46 PM
taken19
Track Junky

Tech Contributor

Here's an option. Keep stock seat lumbar and airbags for te street and will allow for 6 point for HDPE's.

Old 09-28-2012, 07:20 PM
whatcop?
Le Mans Master

^ I thought you couldn't use a modified seat.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:25 PM
taken19
Track Junky

Tech Contributor

I don't do TT or compete yet, this is for HDPE and street driving only. I have passed inspection for all 4 clubs I drive with. As I progress to TT, a full race cage and seat will be installed.

Last edited by taken19; 09-29-2012 at 09:17 AM.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:39 PM
C6C3Vettes
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Are these stock seats?
How did you install the grommet in the seats for the belts to pass thru?
Old 09-29-2012, 04:03 AM
taken19
Track Junky

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by C6C3Vettes
Are these stock seats?
How did you install the grommet in the seats for the belts to pass thru?
Yes stock seats.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...t-install.html
Old 09-29-2012, 09:05 AM
JimbeauZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You shouldn't. This is serious stuff. PCA and many other organizations do not allow modified seats to run in HPDE. The seat must be designed for use with harnesses, and must have a pass through for the sub-strap.

This is not just about keeping you from moving around while driving, it's about keeping you safe during an impact. Modified stock seats simply allow the belts to pass through but do not have the structural strength/reinforcement needed for use with harnesses.

If you think this is not important or that I'm just preaching you're wrong. As Safety Chair for my club I investigated an incident last year where a reputable manufacturer's slider peeled/bent back from the floor mounts of a C6Z in a 5g (from actual data acquisition) rearward impact in T2 at Summit. This allowed the seat to move enough that the driver came loose in his harnesses allowing his head to knock the rear view mirror off the windshield. (open face helmet w/ no HANS) I would highly advise against using a slider and going with the Hardbar style fixed mounts and a quality race seat. Take it back out when you're not at the track or just learn to live with it while street driving. We use this example to explain to students in lower run groups why they need to spend money on safety equipment before tires and performance upgrades.

Our cars are simply too fast to short-cut on safety equipment and if you're driving fast enough that the stock seats and belts aren't doing the job, then it's time to upgrade, but do it right.
Old 09-29-2012, 10:31 AM
NOSLO6
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

I have this same build and run the Cobra Suzuka mounted on hardbar rails (I started with Corbeau A4s, but they weren't very solid).

Joe Aquilante at Phoenix Performance has this and other setups figured out nicely-- I'd give him a call to talk about options (610) 482-0141.
Old 09-30-2012, 03:04 AM
whatcop?
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by JimbeauZ06
You shouldn't. This is serious stuff. PCA and many other organizations do not allow modified seats to run in HPDE. The seat must be designed for use with harnesses, and must have a pass through for the sub-strap.

This is not just about keeping you from moving around while driving, it's about keeping you safe during an impact. Modified stock seats simply allow the belts to pass through but do not have the structural strength/reinforcement needed for use with harnesses.

If you think this is not important or that I'm just preaching you're wrong. As Safety Chair for my club I investigated an incident last year where a reputable manufacturer's slider peeled/bent back from the floor mounts of a C6Z in a 5g (from actual data acquisition) rearward impact in T2 at Summit. This allowed the seat to move enough that the driver came loose in his harnesses allowing his head to knock the rear view mirror off the windshield. (open face helmet w/ no HANS) I would highly advise against using a slider and going with the Hardbar style fixed mounts and a quality race seat. Take it back out when you're not at the track or just learn to live with it while street driving. We use this example to explain to students in lower run groups why they need to spend money on safety equipment before tires and performance upgrades.

Our cars are simply too fast to short-cut on safety equipment and if you're driving fast enough that the stock seats and belts aren't doing the job, then it's time to upgrade, but do it right.
Couldn't agree more and that's why I asked the more veteran guys on here.
Old 09-30-2012, 07:49 AM
JimbeauZ06
Burning Brakes

Couldn't agree more and that's why I asked the more veteran guys on here.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:36 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Depends on the organizations.

PBOC may not allow the modified seats.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:57 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

I agree at 6'2" you may not be able to move the seat forward enough to get the belts very tight but people less than 6' can do so easily. I can get my belt tight enough that I can slide a finger between the shoulder belt and my chest even when I shove my back hard against the seat back. It is tight and there is a slight amount of pain when it first tightens. I was trying to show some people how to do it at the track this last weekend and one of the things I noticed is they kept unlatching the seat belt and loosening it when the seat was run forward. I think most people don't realize the belt has to be painfully tight just like a race harness has to be painfully tight. Once on the track they don't feel so tight. When the seat is run back I grab the shoulder belt right where it comes through the clip that fastens into the seat belt receiver and I pull it back and to the left until the lap belt portion is tight as my hand can make it. Then I use my left hand to force the slack into the belt reel on the quarter panel. Then I do it a couple more times until the lap belt is snug. That is when I move the seat forward. As soon as it moves an inch or so it is tight and when it moves the 3 or 4 inches to get to my driving position it is very, very tight.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To Harness on stock ZR1 seats

Quick Reply: Harness on stock ZR1 seats