Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tie-down straps loosening while trailering

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 07:09 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 767 Likes on 549 Posts

Default Tie-down straps loosening while trailering

I've noticed that a couple of my tie-down straps appear to be loosening while I'm hauling the car down the highway. I understand a little shifting of the axle loops is normal (which would make the straps look like they loosened) if the car bounces in the trailer, but occasionally I've noticed that I can't tighten the strap because the straps keep slipping in the "bobbin" (I can keep ratcheting the strap lever, but the strap doesn't snug up). The straps aren't greasy or anything (or cheap when I bought them several years back), but they just don't seem to anchor in the bobbin slot sufficiently tight at times. So, I frequently check, and tighten the straps while on a road trip. My other set of straps don't seem to loosen up (so I always put them on the back so the car doesn't come through the tailgate on a panic stop). Outside of trying some "friction powder/grit" on the bobbin end to increase the grip, how do I keep the end from slipping out of the bobbin slot?

Thanks for any help here.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:21 PM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 9 Posts

Start with more slack in the straps and wrap more layers before you start to add tension.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:26 PM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

I agree with the post above.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:40 AM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

If that doesn't work, get new straps.
Old 09-29-2012, 11:12 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by RedLS1GTO
Start with more slack in the straps and wrap more layers before you start to add tension.
I always make sure there is at least a full revolution of strap material that goes over the slot before I start to tighten the strap down. But it's important to pull enough strap through the slot so that you don't roll up too much material to where is could get frayed from the notches on the side of the ratchet.

One other thing that I do is to set the parking brake after I tighten all the straps down. That helps to keep the car from moving around once it's in place and held firmly.

Last edited by c4cruiser; 09-29-2012 at 11:15 AM.
Old 09-29-2012, 01:44 PM
Canam
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do all of the above and mine still gets some slack.

Cheap straps. Change them.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:28 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 160 Posts

All you need to do is wheel chock one wheel. Then you don't even need to death ratchet the straps. But make sure you set the chocks up so 1 they can't be lost and 2 bunge them so that there is constant pressure towards each other. Sounds dumb try it you will be sold.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:26 AM
Han Solo
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I also have chocs permanently mounted in front of both front wheels. This is more of a system to get the tongue weight correct each time I load than anything but it also helps keep the car from rolling forward.

IMO you need at least two or three rounds on the ratchet spool before it starts to tighten.

I think you probably answered the solution to your problem though when you said two of your straps don't get loose and two of them do. Sounds like new strap time for sure.

I have been debating on replacing all my straps since they are 6 years old and faded real bad. No frays or anything so I hate to waste money. I also think it's unlikely all four would fail at once or fail at all without first showing signs of wear so I will probably continue to monitor.

Get notified of new replies

To Tie-down straps loosening while trailering

Quick Reply: Tie-down straps loosening while trailering