Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rollbar C6 Z06

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 07:00 PM
skxf430
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Rollbar C6 Z06

Looking for a rollbar for DE track days.

Any recommendations on a roll bar?
Old 10-01-2012, 02:05 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,927 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Other than being a chassis stiffener I don't think a roll bar buys you much. The B Pillar and roof halo work very well to hold up that part of the roof and the roll bar will not add any extra support. The A pillar is the problem when the car rolls over and the roof halo or a roll bar will not help with that. The only thing that works is a full cage. The pictures show what a C6Z that rolled over in front of me on the track looked like.

Bill
Attached Images    
Old 10-01-2012, 02:11 PM
phxcobra
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

That'll buff out. So Bill, do you think a pfadt chassis bar doesnt really add any additional roll-over protection? I'm looking to move to an aftermarket seat and harness and was weighing a chassis bar versus a shark bar. But if its extra cost with no real additional protection, i'll go with the harness bar.
Old 10-01-2012, 03:45 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by skxf430
Looking for a rollbar for DE track days.

Any recommendations on a roll bar?
Where do you live?

for a C6Z with the aluminum frame, only weld in full cages may be best.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:50 PM
TGiuliante
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went down this road and researched this extensively. the only way to go is full cage and I agree the A pillar is the problem. The problem with Caging a C6Z - aluminum frame is $$$$$$ dues to the fact that it is very labor intensive.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:47 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by phxcobra
That'll buff out. So Bill, do you think a pfadt chassis bar doesnt really add any additional roll-over protection? I'm looking to move to an aftermarket seat and harness and was weighing a chassis bar versus a shark bar. But if its extra cost with no real additional protection, i'll go with the harness bar.
Are you running at Firebird Sat?

I find it amazing that some venues have no problem allowing a novice in a vert with the top down to run 150+ down the straight into a 90* turn with no more safety equipment than a helmet, yet others require significant equipment in far less risky environments.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:18 AM
phxcobra
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
Are you running at Firebird Sat?

I find it amazing that some venues have no problem allowing a novice in a vert with the top down to run 150+ down the straight into a 90* turn with no more safety equipment than a helmet, yet others require significant equipment in far less risky environments.
Yep, I'll be at Firebird on Sat. Looking to move to a better seat/harness/hans type device. But I don't want a full cage since it's not a dedicated track car. Though I don't really drive it much on the street much any more. Was just thinking a chassis bar may provide a little extra protection over just a harness bar. But Pfadt stopped making their bolt in bar. You running this weekend?

Pete
Old 10-03-2012, 12:10 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Yep, I'll be at Firebird on Sat. Looking to move to a better seat/harness/hans type device. But I don't want a full cage since it's not a dedicated track car. Though I don't really drive it much on the street much any more. Was just thinking a chassis bar may provide a little extra protection over just a harness bar. But Pfadt stopped making their bolt in bar. You running this weekend?

Pete
I'm still recovering from surgery and just started driving again ( a whole 5 miles) yesterday. I think I'll be OK to go watch by Saturday. A couple of friends, FNBADAZ06 and SLAMMER, will be there. If I make it, I'll show you some possiblilties for protection to consider.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:47 PM
phxcobra
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
I'm still recovering from surgery and just started driving again ( a whole 5 miles) yesterday. I think I'll be OK to go watch by Saturday. A couple of friends, FNBADAZ06 and SLAMMER, will be there. If I make it, I'll show you some possiblilties for protection to consider.
sounds good. i'll be driving a black 07 Z.

Pete
Old 10-04-2012, 02:26 AM
skxf430
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Where do you live?

for a C6Z with the aluminum frame, only weld in full cages may be best.
I live in Los Angeles and there aren't too many knowledgeable Vette shops close by.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:35 AM
z06801
Melting Slicks

Received 296 Likes on 201 Posts

I have a Pfadt bar that came out of my C5 Z06 when it got caged for sale not sure if it bolts into a C6 or not.
Old 07-27-2014, 10:22 AM
nextchapt
Heel & Toe

Pete
There is a problem with putting a full cage in a car you drive on the street. It can make the car LESS SAFE from a head injury perspective because you don't wear your helmet on the street. Even with bar padding, you still have a less safe situation because you've added something for your head to bash into that wasn't there before. I know this from personal experience. No matter how tight the harness was, my unprotected head could easily hit the front and side bars. If you are really short, ignore this post because your head will be low enough that you won't hit the side or front bar.
Old 07-27-2014, 11:24 AM
JerryTX
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by nextchapt
There is a problem with putting a full cage in a car you drive on the street. It can make the car LESS SAFE from a head injury perspective because you don't wear your helmet on the street. Even with bar padding, you still have a less safe situation because you've added something for your head to bash into that wasn't there before. I know this from personal experience. No matter how tight the harness was, my unprotected head could easily hit the front and side bars. If you are really short, ignore this post because your head will be low enough that you won't hit the side or front bar.
So you joined the forum to dig up a 2 year old thread to make this one post.
Old 07-27-2014, 11:38 AM
RDnomorecobra
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

lol
Old 11-23-2016, 12:51 PM
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryTX
So you joined the forum to dig up a 2 year old thread to make this one post.
ill dig it up at 4yrs to add this picture of a C5 that rolled 3.5 times at 55mph.
Old 11-25-2016, 12:12 PM
NHXracing
Heel & Toe

This thread it helpful, some actual roll-over 'data' rather than just speculation. I agree a cage is the best way to go, but what options are there for a dual purpose?

I was considering a roll bar with door bars, and a low riding seat such as kirkey. With this combination, it seems it would add some roll protection, as well as side impact, and tuck you lower in the car, hopefully far from the A-pillar. Thoughts?

I plan on selling this car one day, and it sure would be tough to get rid of with a full cage.
Old 11-26-2016, 08:42 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by C5track
This thread it helpful, some actual roll-over 'data' rather than just speculation. I agree a cage is the best way to go, but what options are there for a dual purpose?

I was considering a roll bar with door bars, and a low riding seat such as kirkey. With this combination, it seems it would add some roll protection, as well as side impact, and tuck you lower in the car, hopefully far from the A-pillar. Thoughts?

I plan on selling this car one day, and it sure would be tough to get rid of with a full cage.
Well, it could be your survivors who had to find a buyer if you had no cage..............

Last edited by 63Corvette; 11-26-2016 at 08:43 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Rollbar C6 Z06

Quick Reply: Rollbar C6 Z06