Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help trying to get the driving position set

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 08:54 AM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Default Help trying to get the driving position set

i like to have the steering wheel closer to me than the factory column goes (2007 c6) also I dont like the height difference between the gas and brake pedals.

I could add a spacer to the back of the gas pedal to even them out but that doesnt help the steering wheel position.

I was wondering if anyone has cut the brake pedal off and then welded in a replacement at their preferred distance?

Ive got a sheet of 1/8" aluminum and can easily make replacement pedals

Any advice or experience with this or any solutions to get the column out further? btw this car has to pass state inspection so I cant put an aftermarket wheel on

thanks!

EDIT: One last thing - Ive noticed that the pedals have a slop to them (they can move side to side) is there a fix to this?

Last edited by el es tu; 09-30-2012 at 08:57 AM.
Old 09-30-2012, 01:50 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Can't help on the column problem. The pedals can be fixed using Elite Engineering pedal exensions. You can both raise and widen the gas pedal to bring it more in line with the brake for better heal and toe. They are not expensive, bolt on, and work well.
There are plastic bushings on the pedal pivots that can be replaced or shimmed to remove the side to side motion. They are a PITA to get to, better have long arms.
Old 10-01-2012, 03:49 AM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I welded a 1/4" thick piece of aluminum on top of my factory brake pedal to raise it. I have yet to find a factory brake pedal that is high. Keep in mind that when you brake really hard on the track the pedal will go down a more than it does on the street. To get an idea where you want the pedal press on it as hard as you can and take a look at it relative to your throttle. I'll bet it is slightly lower which is not what you want.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:17 AM
YYZ06
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I have the pedal covers from CCA. I had to shim the accelerator pedal 1/4" to 3/8" to get the right height for good heel toe downshifting.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:46 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by trackboss
I welded a 1/4" thick piece of aluminum on top of my factory brake pedal to raise it. I have yet to find a factory brake pedal that is high. Keep in mind that when you brake really hard on the track the pedal will go down a more than it does on the street. To get an idea where you want the pedal press on it as hard as you can and take a look at it relative to your throttle. I'll bet it is slightly lower which is not what you want.
This is more the case than the brake pedal being too high. So far on my 2 C5s and C6 the brake pedal has only dropped to the level of the gas pedal but I do know of people having it lower than the gas pedal.

Bill
Old 10-01-2012, 09:25 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Even level can be a problem. I have had instances in the past where my foot pressed the throttle enough to reduce stopping power quite a bit. Having a throttle pedal too close to the brake pedal makes it worse. For me, I prefer to rotate my foot a bit when blipping the throttle while braking in order to match rpms. I even had a time on one particular race car where we moved the brake too high during a race weekend and I had to brake with my heel and blip the throtte with my foot. There just wasn't enough time to get it all dialed in so I did what i had to do.
Things like pedals, shifter, steering wheel, and seat position are often overlooked. It can take many, many hours for one to get them all dialed in to where the are most comortable. It makes a difference in driving once a driver is very comfortable. I probably adusted my seat position on my hardbar rails at least a dozen times before I got it right. I actually drilled more holes to get it where I liked it best.
Making a shifter taller helps too. Don't ever be fooled by those ultra short shifter sticks. Probably one of the worst things you can do to your transmission. Of course on a street car it would be pretty silly to have the shifter way up high by the steering wheel, but even a little bit helps.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:52 PM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

What I really want to do is to make the brake go inward and keep the gas where its at. Im very familiar with the brake pedal going to the floor - I think shortening the length will actually help in these situations, along with making it fit better (my main goal). Additionally, I think this would bring the wheel close enough (after I can move myself further forward) and give a perfect driving position.

thanks!

Get notified of new replies

To Help trying to get the driving position set

Quick Reply: Help trying to get the driving position set