Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS7 lifter imperfection?

Old 10-01-2012, 11:57 AM
apexman
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default LS7 lifter imperfection?

I recently purchased some new lifters from one of our vendors. I wanted to post a photo of one of the lifters. There are a few more that are not as bad as this on but the other box I received doesn't seem to have significant imperfections. I guess my question is, Should I send these back? Figured I would post here before contacting the vendor. I am trying to hurry and get my car back together before we relocate to So. California.

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by apexman; 10-01-2012 at 12:57 PM.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:55 PM
Black89Z51
Suckin' gas, haulin' ass.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

It looks like a ding during the manufacturing process. As long as the bore fit diameter and the roller remain unaffected, I wouldn't worry abou it. That isn't a machined or finished surface and wouldn't compromise fit, form, or function.

But I do think you should contact the vendor prior to posting. After a resolution has been settled between the two parties, then post. Leaving out names does make it a little better though.
Old 10-01-2012, 03:31 PM
apexman
Racer

Yes, no problems with the roller and it looks like the lifter will fit the bore without an issue. I wanted to get an opinion first before bugging the vendor.

Thanks for the reply Black89Z51
Old 10-01-2012, 05:04 PM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by apexman
Yes, no problems with the roller and it looks like the lifter will fit the bore without an issue. I wanted to get an opinion first before bugging the vendor.

Thanks for the reply Black89Z51
It will fail.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:12 PM
apexman
Racer

Originally Posted by Shaka
It will fail.
Ok, I will call the vendor and exchange them and play it safe.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:12 AM
Black89Z51
Support Corvetteforum!

It will fail.
Any supporting evidence? Not questioning your knowledge, but could you let us know why you think it will fail?
Old 10-04-2012, 08:38 PM
Hitman227
Melting Slicks

Received 394 Likes on 347 Posts

It might not fail, looking at the pictures we have one of the lifter sides towards the bottom section of the lifter as far as the ding. Now I realize this imperfection might not effect the lifter roller mechanism in terms of contact to the cam, although, with the imperfection on the lifter and the effect of balance for this part on the engine, you have to take into account the momentum of the lifter with the balance for the components. This probably will not effect balance on the motor, and will probably be fine even if you plan to spin it for some reason to seven grand.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:29 PM
Black89Z51
Support Corvetteforum!

I've never seen a lifter balanced before...
Old 10-06-2012, 02:41 PM
Hitman227
Melting Slicks

Received 394 Likes on 347 Posts

I'm not certain you can balance a set of lifters. However, even if one of them is unbalanced, it's unlikely the motor will see any significant hit in terms of loss of performance, even at these kinds of revs. You probably will not have your motor in the operating range for noticing the degradation, and the consistency of the parts will be unaffected.

Last edited by Hitman227; 10-08-2012 at 10:27 PM. Reason: misspelling
Old 10-06-2012, 05:09 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I wouldn't worry about balance, but I would be concerned with that imperfection scoring the bore that the lifter sits in. If it were me I would not install it.
Old 10-09-2012, 03:17 PM
Shaka
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Black89Z51
Any supporting evidence? Not questioning your knowledge, but could you let us know why you think it will fail?
Physics-materials science.

A failure is certain and can be determined and accurately predicted to within a small cycle margin by the Uniform Material Law (UML) when a material is subjected to repeated loading even without this type of flaw. This is the hardest working part in the engine and a failure here will cost you big time.

This indentation with it's sharp edges will drastically reduce service life by focusing stress points, where cracks will begin to form on and below the surface with certainty. The failure process starts with dislocation movements, forming slip bands that nucleate the cracks, a stochastic process as damage is cumulative. Sharp corners/edges, etc. will lead to elevated local stresses where fatigue cracks initiate.
The shape of the structure will significantly affect the fatigue life. Round holes and smooth transitions or fillets are therefore important to increase the fatigue strength of the structure.
This part can not be repaired. Does that help?
Old 10-18-2012, 01:52 PM
apexman
Racer

Just an update..I returned the entire set of lifters without a problem. Thanks for all your input!
Old 10-18-2012, 02:32 PM
Black89Z51
Support Corvetteforum!

Physics-materials science.

A failure is certain and can be determined and accurately predicted to within a small cycle margin by the Uniform Material Law (UML) when a material is subjected to repeated loading even without this type of flaw. This is the hardest working part in the engine and a failure here will cost you big time.

This indentation with it's sharp edges will drastically reduce service life by focusing stress points, where cracks will begin to form on and below the surface with certainty. The failure process starts with dislocation movements, forming slip bands that nucleate the cracks, a stochastic process as damage is cumulative. Sharp corners/edges, etc. will lead to elevated local stresses where fatigue cracks initiate.
The shape of the structure will significantly affect the fatigue life. Round holes and smooth transitions or fillets are therefore important to increase the fatigue strength of the structure.
This part can not be repaired. Does that help?
Tremendously, thank you very much for the reply. As a machinist, I understand what you're saying, as well as it makes sense. Excellent reply!
Old 10-18-2012, 02:33 PM
Black89Z51
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by apexman
Just an update..I returned the entire set of lifters without a problem. Thanks for all your input!
Glad to hear everything turned out good!
Old 10-19-2012, 10:28 AM
Shaka
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Black89Z51
Glad to hear everything turned out good!
Who's the bum that sold it to you? Who made the parts? PM me.

Instead of exposing these bums, CF protects them because their revenue is more important to them than the well being of the forum members. It happens too many times to be a coincidence.

I know venders on this forum who should be in jail.

Get notified of new replies

To LS7 lifter imperfection?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LS7 lifter imperfection?