Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

gmr hubs/bearings

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 04:42 AM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Default gmr hubs/bearings

I just ran across these. Anyone know anything about them?
The comparison chart doesn't show much of anything proving that they are better than the SKF heavy duty/race bearings. I'm no engineer, but I would think aluminum would be worse than the skf steel. From what I've always dealt with alumuminum typically needs to have more material to make it as strong as a high quality steel part of equivalent dimensions. I don't see that with these. I suppose in an ultra light race car aluminum might be ok, but in something over 3000lbs. I'd think it would be a poor choice for a track vehicle in particular. Unless of course the component was much beefier than the design it replaces. Plus the thermal properties are different.

http://thegmr.com/?page_id=17
Old 10-03-2012, 08:39 AM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Interesting looking hub assemblies that appear to be well engineered and manufactured. Replaceable serviceable bearings could be a big plus to racers that destroy hubs on a regular basis. What is the price point on these units ? Any forum engineers that can give us some input on the aluminum construction pros and cons ?
Old 10-03-2012, 09:16 AM
2MCHPWR
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

$1600!
Old 10-03-2012, 12:13 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

That is certainly interesting, but the emphasis on "style" and misspelling(s) in the ad (corosive) make me wonder how serious the company is.

But they do use them on the TapOut race car I guess.

Old 10-03-2012, 03:17 PM
geerookie
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Price is reasonable when you consider what an SKF costs and you factor in the ease of maintenence and replacement.

What I would like to know more about is the spindle mounts/uprights they are using! Those look like some well thought out pieces and very adjustable.
If they are cheaper than the LG unadjustable ones that could be a hot item.

As far as the hubs it appears they only work with Baer rotor hats otherwise not a bad idea.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:33 PM
0Louis @ LG Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man, I cant wait to constantly pack bearings, and deal with bearing races, and keep track of spacers and preload, and this and that! Wait. No Im not!

The best thing about the front suspension on a vette is the fact you dont have to worry about the bearings.

We replace the bearings on the rolex car 3x per season. every 20-24 hours. On track, there is ZERO issue with the SKF bearing. Even Daytona. No problem.

The only thing that I would switch to, would be a ceramic bearing, which we have tossed around.

until you have packed an old school bearing like whats here, you will never know how good you have it with the vettes sealed style bearings.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:20 PM
MILLER TIME
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default THE GMR C5/6 Hubs

Hey guys,

Figured I would chime in here before the indians get wrestless .

I am involved with said component (GMR C5/6 Billet Race Hub) and figured I would chime in.

There is no doubt they are durable. We currently have them in classic cars weighing over 3300lbs and running speeds upward of 160mph. We are soon to test in a 237 mph salt flat application as well just to do it.

Now the bad part..... the current design caters to classic car applications only OR C5/6 Corvettes that choose not to run any electronics controlled by the wheel speed sensor.

We do have applications that accept Baer/Wilwood/Brake Man/ZO6/C6 Calipers.

I guess I will end with a little something for your current Corvette hub bearing...... we do outfit C5/C6/ZR1 hub units with "ceramics" that will drastically reduce drag/heat all of which helps with the longevity of the current design.

Thanks, Jay

Get notified of new replies

To gmr hubs/bearings

Quick Reply: gmr hubs/bearings