Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

any tips on how to reduce rim slip? (93 c4 w/ p315/35R17 kumho ecsta v700)...

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 08:56 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 560 Likes on 437 Posts

Default any tips on how to reduce rim slip? (93 c4 w/ p315/35R17 kumho ecsta v700)...

Ive got a 510 rwhp supercharged 93 6spd c4 I race.

I noticed I got some rim slip on the rear tires. I run p315/35R17 Kumho ecsta v700 (now discontd) race tires. These are basically a patterned version of the slick kumho ecsta v710's.

The rims Im using are '96 corvette grand sport coupe black 5 spokes (A-mold). These are OEM rims and not reproductions.

I noticed I got 1" of rim slip on the left rear and 2" of rim slip on the right rear.

It appears to be in the acceleration direction.

BTW. Ive also done some drag racing as well. So who knows where the rim slip came from.

Are there any tips I can share with my tire mounters on how to reduce this from occurring.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:01 PM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by dizwiz24
Ive got a 510 rwhp supercharged 93 6spd c4 I race.

I noticed I got some rim slip on the rear tires. I run p315/35R17 Kumho ecsta v700 (now discontd) race tires. These are basically a patterned version of the slick kumho ecsta v710's.

The rims Im using are '96 corvette grand sport coupe black 5 spokes (A-mold). These are OEM rims and not reproductions.

I noticed I got 1" of rim slip on the left rear and 2" of rim slip on the right rear.

It appears to be in the acceleration direction.

BTW. Ive also done some drag racing as well. So who knows where the rim slip came from.

Are there any tips I can share with my tire mounters on how to reduce this from occurring.

Learned this from my drag racing days.

Go buy Permatex Hi-Tac in the can with a brush, put it on the bead when mounting and it will stop.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:09 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,754 Likes on 941 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

David,

It was nice to finally meet you this weekend! Too bad I was working the event or I would have loved a ride! You have one very nice car!

I have not been able to get the rotating to stop completely, but the best method I found was to not use any lube when installing the tires and just do them dry. Mine spin in the braking direction, but then again I am not making nearly the HP you are!
Old 10-03-2012, 10:19 PM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I view it as a non-problem, however I never balance the tires. Using ample lubricant when you mount the tires puts less stress on the tire and the sealing lip. There's a reason tire lube exists. As a disclaimer, I mount my tires manually( only Hercules could mount an 18" racing tire manually without tire lube!)
Old 10-03-2012, 10:49 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 560 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by Sidney004
I view it as a non-problem, however I never balance the tires. Using ample lubricant when you mount the tires puts less stress on the tire and the sealing lip. There's a reason tire lube exists. As a disclaimer, I mount my tires manually( only Hercules could mount an 18" racing tire manually without tire lube!)
WOW!

I cant imagine you can dismount (break the bead) a UHP tire like we use. Even with a manual tire stand.

Ive tried and came to the conclusion that I wasnt going to succeed and only risk scratching up the rim by trying.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:11 PM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by dizwiz24

... only risk scratching up the rim by trying.
I didn't say anything about not scratching the rims.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:22 AM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Mine move fronts on braking & rears on accel. I get them balanced & every event I reverse the tire direction side to side rotation & they more/less go back and forth in about a 1 to2 inch area.

I use a little lube when mounting.

Old 10-04-2012, 03:02 AM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

For race tires I simply balance the wheels before mounting the tires. Unless you use some sort of adhesive the tires will move on the first hard lap.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:18 PM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

look up knurled beads

nissan gtr wheels:
Old 10-04-2012, 12:25 PM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Well, I've posted this before and everybody laughed but it works like a charm. When mounting the tires use hair spray as your lube and you can brake as hard as you want and the tires won't slip. 888s, Trofeos, or Hoosiers they all stay where you put them. Now there is some discussion between my track partners as to which is best, Lady Clairol or Suave, so you'll probably need to check with your wife's hairdresser to get any technical advise. Seriously guys, this works for me and all of the guys I run with.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:39 PM
RDnomorecobra
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

at least your tires smell nice
Old 10-04-2012, 12:39 PM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Last C5
Well, I've posted this before and everybody laughed but it works like a charm. When mounting the tires use hair spray as your lube and you can brake as hard as you want and the tires won't slip. 888s, Trofeos, or Hoosiers they all stay where you put them. Now there is some discussion between my track partners as to which is best, Lady Clairol or Suave, so you'll probably need to check with your wife's hairdresser to get any technical advise. Seriously guys, this works for me and all of the guys I run with.
I guess it all depends on whether you want your tires to have volume or shine
Old 10-05-2012, 12:36 PM
ZR1 MK
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

I started mounting, dismounting and balancing my tires years ago. Id do it mainly because the cost is ridiculous where I live and Id get them back dirty and damged. So I do them dry and by hand which also eliminates the tire slip. With the correct technique, one doesnt have to be Hercules.

I figure, if I can do them dry, a tire shop should be able to too.

My 12.5 wide Goodyear slicks on CCW wheels are actually easy to do. But last year, I tried doing my wifes new winter wheel/tire set and couldnt do them. The dealer had a real hard time too using a boat load of lube, so I didnt feel too bad. Go figure?

Sidney, hope your car is still going strong.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:06 PM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ZR1 MK
I started mounting, dismounting and balancing my tires years ago. Id do it mainly because the cost is ridiculous where I live and Id get them back dirty and damged. So I do them dry and by hand which also eliminates the tire slip. With the correct technique, one doesnt have to be Hercules.

I figure, if I can do them dry, a tire shop should be able to too.

My 12.5 wide Goodyear slicks on CCW wheels are actually easy to do. But last year, I tried doing my wifes new winter wheel/tire set and couldnt do them. The dealer had a real hard time too using a boat load of lube, so I didnt feel too bad. Go figure?

Sidney, hope your car is still going strong.
Thanks for asking, all is going well; especially my spindle ducts!
Old 10-08-2012, 02:29 PM
ZR1 MK
Melting Slicks

Thanks for asking, all is going well; especially my spindle ducts!
Good to here.

And for others, another advantage to doing your own tire work is that you can change a tire at the track.
I flat spotted a tire years ago and was able to chage it right there, rather then switch to my back-up set that had Toyo RA1s on them.
It much more fun to drive on slicks.
Old 10-08-2012, 04:52 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by ZR1 MK
Good to here.

And for others, another advantage to doing your own tire work is that you can change a tire at the track.
I flat spotted a tire years ago and was able to chage it right there, rather then switch to my back-up set that had Toyo RA1s on them.
It much more fun to drive on slicks.
I have been accused of taking too much eq. to the track, but you bring a tire machine?

Old 10-08-2012, 05:22 PM
ZR1 MK
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by froggy47
I have been accused of taking too much eq. to the track, but you bring a tire machine?

Its a manual unit, not a large electric machine.

Get notified of new replies

To any tips on how to reduce rim slip? (93 c4 w/ p315/35R17 kumho ecsta v700)...

Quick Reply: any tips on how to reduce rim slip? (93 c4 w/ p315/35R17 kumho ecsta v700)...