Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coupe's Chasis Stiffness With Targa Top Off

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 02:26 AM
C5Natie
Safety Car

Received 132 Likes on 64 Posts

Default Coupe's Chasis Stiffness With Targa Top Off

Hey guys, I was wondering if the car will lose any of its chasis stiffness with the targa top off. Im a taller driver so I was thinking that maybe with it off I would have better track vision and maybe a lil more headroom (with helmet on). I just dont know how or if it will affect the car. Any input is appreciated, thanks.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:32 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Big Difference

and your helmet can not stick above your roof line.

1 take your sun visors out.
2. get a seat that sits lower to the floor.

Good Luck
Old 10-04-2012, 09:02 AM
ltborg
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you going to track days or autocrosses? I would not run without the roof on a road course (unless I had a good roll cage).

I run without my targa at autocrosses because I found the car gains about a half second a lap with the roof out. You can feel a slight stiffness decrease (nothing like the C4 with the roof out if you have ever driven one of those), but the car puts power down better. Plus it's 22 lbs off the highest point of the car. I sit in the same position roof in or out. I wouldn't want my head sticking above the car structure from a safety stand point.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:04 AM
ltborg
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
2. get a seat that sits lower to the floor.
+1. If the rules allow it, it's safer, won't move on you like the stock seats, and will give you a ton more headroom.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:28 AM
blkbrd69
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

The chassis is the same stiffness with the top off, those little sliding locks mounted to plastic don't stiffen the chassis.

Your track vision will actually decrease as the sun wont be blocked and your head cant be above the roof.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:43 PM
C5Natie
Safety Car

Received 132 Likes on 64 Posts

This is for track days, hpde, moddified with street tire classes. My head is just below the roof with my helmet on and the seat all the way down so that shouldnt be a problem. Im also looking for aftermarket seats too. Plus, you can hear the car better with the top off. Lol

Get notified of new replies

To Coupe's Chasis Stiffness With Targa Top Off

Quick Reply: Coupe's Chasis Stiffness With Targa Top Off