Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting 3 Cars from Philly to Sebring in March

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 09:42 AM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
St Jude Donor '13

Default Getting 3 Cars from Philly to Sebring in March

With the new museum event at Sebring in March coming I wanted to pick the collective forum brain for ideas on getting our cars down there. My wife & I both drive so we have 2 to haul down and another good friend of ours is heading down as well so we have a total of 3. All 3 are streetable vehicles but that makes getting all of the stuff problematic. We own an '01 F350 diesel (single rear wheel) and have used that to haul 1 car on an open trailer before, but that clearly doesn't work for this situation.

So I throw it out to you guys for idea fodder... rent a huge trailer (if you even can?), pay a car hauler and just meet the car down there, suck it up and drive?

Thanks
Old 10-04-2012, 10:10 AM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Man, driving a Corvette is fun, but all the way to Sebring and back, WOW! I would opt for a hauler and see if you can get others in your area or along the way to spread the cost. Call Frank Matarzzo at 248-361-2326 and tell him Jim Painter told you to call him. Frank is very experienced and will do a good job for you. He delivers all kinds of performance cars up and down the east coast.

Jim
Old 10-04-2012, 10:21 AM
blkbrd69
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

My bet is you are looking at 2.5K to ship the cars back and fourth, then 3 round trip tickets on Southwest Airlines, plus a rental car from Orlando during a busy time of year.

I bet you can find an enclosed car hauler and tow them down, its mostly flat from Philly to Orlando, not like towing out west. of course a 350-450-550 dually would be a better option for a 2200 mile round trip tow.

Shipping and flying is a whole lot easier and you would have much more time to do a whole lot more on vacation. Of course you could stage the hauler in Orlando, do the parks & drive to Daytona also.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:22 AM
RDnomorecobra
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

auto train
Old 10-04-2012, 06:24 PM
Glennm27
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,407 Likes on 611 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Contributor

Originally Posted by Painrace
Man, driving a Corvette is fun, but all the way to Sebring and back, WOW! I would opt for a hauler and see if you can get others in your area or along the way to spread the cost. Call Frank Matarzzo at 248-361-2326 and tell him Jim Painter told you to call him. Frank is very experienced and will do a good job for you. He delivers all kinds of performance cars up and down the east coast.

Jim
Thanks for that info Jim.
I happen to be the 3rd Corvette in this story.

Glenn
Old 10-04-2012, 06:57 PM
C5inWV
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

QUOTE=RDnomorecobra;1581993289]auto train[/QUOTE]

[

Pick it up in Lorton, VA and get off in Sanford, FL.
Do it for the trip down. You'll probably want to drive them back unless you wait until late in the day to catch the return train.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:11 PM
RDnomorecobra
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You can get it in DE I think.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:13 PM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
St Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by RDnomorecobra
You can get it in DE I think.
It only runs from Lorton, VA to Orlando area, but I hadn't even had that option cross my brain, thanks!

Thanks for that name & number as well Jim, we'll give him a call.

Get notified of new replies

To Getting 3 Cars from Philly to Sebring in March

Quick Reply: Getting 3 Cars from Philly to Sebring in March