Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake pad advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 04:12 PM
AzMotorhead
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 97 Likes on 68 Posts

Default Brake pad advice needed

I've got a few years experience road coursing so although I'm still learning I'm not a noob.
Is it adviseable to run Hawk DTC 70's up front while using stock pads on the rear of my 09 Z06?
This will be on a road course event this Sunday out at Bondurant
I'll be running Hoosier R6's with no other mods to the car
Old 10-05-2012, 04:43 PM
theVcar
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I do it that way and so do alot of others i know. matter of fact they do it with 490 rwhp zo6's. have fun
Old 10-05-2012, 07:09 PM
MA ZO6
Burning Brakes

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

I did that with my 2007 ZO6 and it worked great. The front pads do all the hard work, the stock pads will be fine in the back.
Old 10-06-2012, 09:23 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

You're messing with your brake balance. It might be good. It might be bad. You'll find out.

Corvettes arrive from the factory with front brake bias. You can't screw up that way. If the rear brakes are too aggressive the car is coming around on you. Lawsuit city. GM is deathly afraid of that so they let the front brakes do most of the work.

On the track I like balanced braking. In an effort to compensate for the GM design I put the aggressive pads in the back. Yes, you can get in trouble that way but you're also going to stop faster.

When you put the agressive pad in the front you're simply doubling down on the GM design. It's going to be all front brakes. You probably won't spin but you've also limited your stopping ability.

If you're really serious measure the temperature of your calipers. See if the back brakes are actually doing anything.

Richard Newton
Facebook

Get notified of new replies

To Brake pad advice needed

Quick Reply: Brake pad advice needed