Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First HPDE, Thunderbolt, essentially stock C5

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 08:15 PM
Randyny
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default First HPDE, Thunderbolt, essentially stock C5

Well, I got the bug - after a Porsche invite to drive their new cars around Monticello racetrack. I went the New Jersey Motorsports Park this weekend and drove my 01 C5 on the track for the first time. This is soo much fun; I was high all weekend. My buddy (who is building a car but is not done yet) also drove the car. I was green and he was blue. The car held up well although I can't believe the heat coming out of the brake areas. I forgot my temp gun but I think I could toast marshmallows over the brakes after a run.

Thank you so much to Zenak for the "HPDE-what I learned" thread. It was nice to see every aspect of the car discussed. I upgraded the brakes with the DRM stop fast kit and I put on Nitto NT-05s. I ran 1:50.xx as my best lap. My instructor took me for a few hot laps in his race-prepped Porsche and he ran 1:31.

This is such an exciting hobby.

I thought I was going to get some flak because I am a "green" group drive with car #1 (typo on my part), and that I came with a trailer. I need not have worried. The people at these events are great.

Next run I will have race seats/harness/harness bar/lowering mod.

Here's my best time vid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZRYK...feature=colike

A big shout out to Harry's Lap Timer - I can see from the post analysis how my lines are good and bad depending on the lap. Also shows how I am in or out of the powerband of my car. Not only that but showing friends/family with this awesome app just makes it so much more impressive.

I obviously have a huge way to go but every lap will be fun and informative.

My next run will likely be next spring and I can't wait....
Old 10-09-2012, 09:29 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

Damn...what did you get to drive at Monticello? I drove the yellow Lexus LFA prototype out there in 2010...man I love Monticello...great track if you run the full course. I was out there along with Patrick Long when he was testing a Rolex Cup Porsche. Video I have did no justice when he blazed past me in that thing...lol...damn it was loud...haha.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:13 PM
RDnomorecobra
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

addicting isnt it. Thunderbolt is a lot of fun. So is Lightning. There are good videos on u tube, do a search.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:10 AM
Randyny
Heel & Toe

The Monticello day was a portion of the track. Half was for auto crossing the new Boxter, half for tracking 911s and the Panamera in a follow the leader model, and the third half for testing gas vs hybrid model. It was fun but nothing like drivin my own car.

I've watched hours of YouTube for thunderbolt. Lots of great runs but as a first timer I was concentrating on proper line rather than all out speed. Although Harry showed me steadily improving throughout the day.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:02 AM
moespeeds
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

How are you getting throttle position and RPM on the lap timer? Nice driving!
Old 10-10-2012, 11:02 AM
MX621
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Awesome! Did my first track day in the vette (second track day for me) last year at thunderbolt. So much fun! Lowered on bolts, nt05's, stock brakes, 430whp c5z. Ran a 1.40 lap with the shicane. Nt05s are great. Cant wait to get back, just so dam expensive. Easily a 450-500$ day in total..
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=SCPWELKWemc

Last edited by MX621; 10-10-2012 at 11:29 AM.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:03 PM
RDnomorecobra
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by moespeeds
How are you getting throttle position and RPM on the lap timer? Nice driving!
Can't answer for him directly, but I believe that Harry's lap timer can also incorporate OBDII data. I use Trackmaster for my Droid and it doesn't do that, yet, so I just get speed, g-meter, lap time, track map. I would like to get data from the car too, throttle and brake position would help greatly in review and planning for next session.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoxrf...e_gdata_player
Old 10-10-2012, 12:03 PM
72Vega
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

to OP --- stop now and back away from the vehicle while there is time to save thousands of $$$$

Yep the post session smile that you experienced is pretty exciting and truly addictive! Most of your family and friends probably wanted to know "how fast did you go?" and you probably tried to explain that with our cars driving fast in a straight line is the easy part...

FWIW, Best mod you can do now is "adjust the nut behind the wheel"...i.e. seat time, seat time and more seat time. Instead of spending big $$ on race seats and harnesses right now (did you know that most groups require the same set up for driver and passenger?) consider attending one track event every month or 2 during the season...at different tracks...with different groups. This will give you a variety of experiences in a variety of settings with different instructors. Most instructors are very good, but a few are only doing it for the free or reduced price track time. Regardless, learn something from every one you have and at every track you visit. After a while you will learn that "...this turn at Mid Ohio is just like that one at Road Atlanta except it's a little more off camber..."

You will find that our cars are very, very capable track vehicles in nearly stock form. Sure, change out the brake fluid to DOT 4 and pick up some good track day brake pads to replace the oems. Do regular maintenance on your car and change out the fluids regularly. If you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself, find a good race shop nearby or at least a Chevy dealer that had a good Vette guy in the service dept.

When I started, I was lucky to have had several racers give me the same advice which prevented me from spending lots of money on the wrong things. IMHO installing some racer-type parts can actually slow your learning curve and give you some bad habits that will be hard to correct later.

Just my 2 cents, YMMV

Welcome to the addiction!
Old 10-14-2012, 07:55 PM
Randyny
Heel & Toe

The throttle is from a Bluetooth obd tap. Harrys is great. I've watched the vid several dozen times now. I could prolly gain 5 seconds by not coasting so much. But I was learning the line. Next time!

I figured I'd go with seats/harness next for safety. Two reasons- obviously safety. There was an incident that weekend between a z06 and a Porsche. Bad pass signal combined with accepting a pass signal on a no passing turn. Contact made, Porsche went into the sand barrels (speed attenuators) at the top the straight. Totaled the car.

Second, even on my slow laps I found that I was smashing myself back in the seat with the dead pedal. Also, my arms/ upper body felt it after trying to keep myself in the seat by grabbing the steering wheel with a death grip. Would have said that "that's just the way it is" until I rode in my instructors Porsche. The seats combined with the harness give sooooo much support that he could concentrate on driving rather than not flying out of the seat.

At any rate, it looks like spring for the next run. Maybe moving to Texas would not be such a bad idea.....
Old 10-15-2012, 08:30 AM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Welcome to the addiction ! I would recommend a lot of additional seat time before you start heavily modifying the car. The drivers capabilities are the most important thing to generating fast lap times.
If you do install the seat / harnesses be sure to also get a HANS device. While the seat / harness holds you in place much better, the possibility of severe neck injury is greatly increased in an accident situation if a HANS is not used. Spend the additional $ and be SAFE !
Old 10-15-2012, 11:17 AM
BryanPendleton
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Randyny
I figured I'd go with seats/harness next for safety. Two reasons- obviously safety. There was an incident that weekend between a z06 and a Porsche. Bad pass signal combined with accepting a pass signal on a no passing turn. Contact made, Porsche went into the sand barrels (speed attenuators) at the top the straight. Totaled the car.

Second, even on my slow laps I found that I was smashing myself back in the seat with the dead pedal. Also, my arms/ upper body felt it after trying to keep myself in the seat by grabbing the steering wheel with a death grip. Would have said that "that's just the way it is" until I rode in my instructors Porsche. The seats combined with the harness give sooooo much support that he could concentrate on driving rather than not flying out of the seat.
Some would argue that a 5 or 6 point harness is unsafe in a non-caged car, because should you roll the car, you are fixed in an upright position.

Here are some tips I learned from my instructor to anchor you down in your seats (for electric seats):

1) Slide your seat all the way back
2) Pull the lap belt all the way out and let it retract.
3) The lap belt will now be locked and will not retrack.
4) Shove the butt deep into the corner of the seat base and seat back.
5) Now push your back into the seat back.
6) Make sure the should belt is accross your chest, and take a quick tug until the belt locks. Make sure it locks close to your chest.
7) Now hold the tension in the shoulder belt so you don't loose the lock.
8) If you have your seat memory set, simply push your memory setting and let the seat snug your belts. Otherwise you will need to adjust your seat setting.
9) You may need repeat with small adjustments, if the belts are too loose or too tight.
10) Make sure that shoulder belt is tight. If you get slack during your session you will loose the lock.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:04 PM
TKOGTO
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

I'll echo the welcome to the addiction sentiments already expressed. In vast quantities, you'll need money, patience, understanding from the family and vacation days. In return, you'll have an absolute blast, meet some great people and learn a thing or two. Not a bad deal.
Get the Skip Barber book "Going Faster" so you can begin to understand what's needed to do this effectively and incorporate good habits and techniques right from the start.

Get notified of new replies

To First HPDE, Thunderbolt, essentially stock C5

Quick Reply: First HPDE, Thunderbolt, essentially stock C5