Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stilo helmets

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 07:16 AM
larryfs
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Stilo helmets

Anybody hear of Stilo helmets before?

They are pricy, but I'm seeing some amazing weights, like 2.6 lbs.
I see 2 light weight models.

http://stilo-usa.com/helmets/wrc-des-zero-8860
http://stilo-usa.com/helmets/wrc-des-carbon

My biggest concern is weight, and not many helmet manufacturers advertise their weights.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:40 AM
bsalie99
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

They are light, but they are VERY small. I live near the importer and have seen them . their XL is about a M for Simpson. They have very cool features like built in comms and Hydration, and look a bit like a Stormtrooper helm for some models. Also they are very pricy
Old 10-10-2012, 10:40 AM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes, they are semi-common at the track and on pros.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:45 AM
Joy of 6
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Most of the WRC drivers wear them. (might just be a promotional also)
Old 10-10-2012, 01:36 PM
Werks
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

If you want a more reasonably prices alternative look at the HJC SI-12. It weighs in a little under 2.9lbs and they street for around $699. So around $1100 less than the cheaper Stilo helmet that you linked to and an amazing $6800 cheaper than that ungodly expensive first helmet.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:34 PM
Everett Ogilvie
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First heard of them when they were highlighting Kyle Busch's helmet - can't imagine what that one cost.....
Old 10-10-2012, 03:05 PM
crease-guard
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wear a Stilo. Mine was about 1100 with air vent on top and built in comms, extra visor. I like it, very comfy.

Jay
Old 10-10-2012, 03:09 PM
larryfs
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Werks
If you want a more reasonably prices alternative look at the HJC SI-12. It weighs in a little under 2.9lbs and they street for around $699. So around $1100 less than the cheaper Stilo helmet that you linked to and an amazing $6800 cheaper than that ungodly expensive first helmet.
HJC doesn't list their weight on their web site. So it's hard to compare....
Old 10-10-2012, 04:29 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

HMS Motorsports brought a full line up to the GVCBMW Club HPDE at Watkins Glen a couple of years ago. Very, very, very nice. Pricey, pricey, pricey.

Bill
Old 10-10-2012, 04:41 PM
Werks
Drifting

Originally Posted by larryfs
HJC doesn't list their weight on their web site. So it's hard to compare....
Helmet weights vary based on the shell size, so the larger your head the larger the helmet shell, the more it weights. The weights listed on the Stilo site are probably for their smallest size. The weight that I quoted you was for a Medium Si-12. I just weighed my Large size Si-12 and with the aluminum Neksgen head restraint blocks bolted on each side of it, it weighs a little over 3lbs. The Si-12 is probably one of the lightest helmets on the market right now (even lighter than most exposed carbon shell helmets) without getting into the super expensive $3k+ stuff where you might save 1/2lb or so which you will probably not even notice unless you are doing some type of 24hrs endurance event or the likes. Just something to consider as spending $7k to save 1/2lb or basically $14k per lb of weight savings is crazy expensive and way, way exceeds the cost per lb of weight savings from going with carbon or even Ti components on your car.

If you are going to spend that kind of money on a helmet look at Stand21 and get your self a full custom made and fitted helmet. They are used by a lot of the higher end Pro driver segment i.e. F1, DTM, Rolex etc. etc.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:01 PM
larryfs
Safety Car

I am considering the $1800 helmet. The other one is 2 OZ lighter for a professional sponser to buy at the $7500 price tag.

$1800 for a helmet, while on the expensive side, it's less than you spend on a motor, or transmission, or 2 sets of tires.. or on an oil cooler which is probably unnecessary, but it makes you feel good

While you may not notice a heavy helmet today, your neck can only tolerate so much abuse and bouncing around. I won't get into details, but I havn't drove since Aug 2008.

I would like to get well below 3lbs. With a collar supporting the weight of the helmet, and then I will be able to get back into the sport of driving.

talking about stand 21, I tried on a Stand 21 many years ago. It was defective, and scratched my entire face trying it on. And there is only one importer of stand down on Georgia, and they were not too helpful.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:04 PM
Werks
Drifting

Lol, got ya. If you've suffered neck injuries in the past then a few oz less I can see might justify the cost. If I can make a suggestion try out the helmets if you have a good race shop local. Because while weight is obviously important helmet fit is number 1. If you do not have a local shop then try one of the on-line guys like saferacer that takes returns. Order both, try them on for a while and send back the one you like least. I came from motorcycles and always only bought the top of the line Arai helmets as I've always felt that when it comes to safety money is not a factor. Having said that though in doing my research the SI-12 came up as one of the lightest helmets on the market and I'm completely happy with the weight, fit and performance of it, hence the recommendation. Either way though good luck and welcome back!

Get notified of new replies

To Stilo helmets

Quick Reply: Stilo helmets